Ridiculously excited!

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Fizzbw

Ridiculously excited!

Post by Fizzbw »

My brother wants to cross stitch!!

It's not really my influence, he's got a new girlfriend (lovely girl) who stitches and he wants to do something for her! I hope she doenst read this, if so she'll just have to pretend she doesn't know....

He managed to text me on a morning I wasn't well so it was midday before I realised that he'd chosen a Dimensions complicated rooster to do!! I knew that it would just put him off as it was riddled with fractionals and you know what Dimmesions are like. So he managed to cancel the order (Sewandso being brilliant), and I looked through about 200 mags to find hen and rooster charts. He chose this one:

I'm not sure if it's not too complex, but at least it's little starts and finishes. I'll get him to photocopy and enlarge it. Then I bought him some aida as I didn't have ANY 14 count white/antique white at all! Sewandso again. And I've gridded it for him. And I've kitted the rest up, the floss is on bobbins and I've put in the box some 24 needles, a nice pair of embriodery scissors, a needle minder that says never never give up (!) and a scissor fob with a cute frog button on it.

And then I have put two lengths of floss for each symbol on a card for him, with all the symbols and numbers.

And THEN I made covers for the 12" q snaps I'm lending him, so he has somewhere to put the excess aida and to keep it clean. It was my first try at covers and as I'm not that well at, I couldn't quite figure out how to make it one, so I did four little ones!

And I have also found several cover kits or mouseloft kits so he can practise on one of them before. And obviously I'm going to teach him! Think I've covered everything???

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Nordly

Re: Ridiculously excited!

Post by Nordly »

Wow you're welcome to kit up my projects anytime!! :lol: :wub:
I hope he realize how lucky he is hahaha. Best of luck to him! Can't wait to see his progress.
Where's the chart from btw?
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Chart came free with The World of Cross stitch, don't remember when :)

Nxxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:whoop: how cool that is! i hope you will keep us updated on his progress! I think his girlfriend is very lucky to have found him.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Ainjel333

Post by Ainjel333 »

Wow! What an awesome job you've done setting him up...and how exciting that he is interested and wants to stitch! :whoop: I think you've covered everything. Well done! :applesauce:
I love the pattern also. :D
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

So thoughtful of him to want to stitch something for his girlfriend. :wub: Great chart, and I'm looking forward to seeing his progress.
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

ayna

Post by ayna »

What a super sister the new stitcher has!!!
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

ayna wrote:What a super sister the new stitcher has!!!
I absolutely agree!!! Way to go Niki!!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

LastingAllure

Post by LastingAllure »

That is super awesome!!! :whoop:

It is so exciting when people ask you for help in your mastered area. I bet it is going to be a wonderful project for both him and you! I think you have covered everything and it is so thoughtful of you for helping him and him stitching it for his girlfriend.

I think the chart came with issue 213 of The World of Cross Stitching...I could be wrong.
fccs

Post by fccs »

Oh, how fun is that?!! He's quite a catch to want to do something so special for his girlfriend. And I think he's got a fantastic sister who got everything all kitted up and ready to go. (I wish someone would kit up my stuff.) Do keep us updated on how he's doing.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Rose

Post by Rose »

Reading all of the prep you did for your brother had me laughing. @rotfl: @rotfl: You did all the hard work for him, all he has to do is the stitching. I sure hope he comes to realizes what all you have done for him. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

Two thoughts...

First.. come on over.. I'll feed you home madecheese cake and lasagna if you kit up my next several ornaments for me - I have all the supplies even, just ant you to sort em out and make me pretty cards and cut the floss for me.

Second - got another brother, preferably aged in the upper 30s to mid 40s for me? I could seriously get behind a guy who's willing to put this sort of effort into making something for his girlfriend! :P :P

That said.. good for him! So often guys think their girlfriends/wives hobbies.. especially crafty hobbies are silly and they don't bother to express an interest. And how awesome for you to have a sibling who wants to try out something you do!
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
fccs

Post by fccs »

NeedleAndFork wrote:Two thoughts...

First.. come on over.. I'll feed you home madecheese cake and lasagna if you kit up my next several ornaments for me - I have all the supplies even, just ant you to sort em out and make me pretty cards and cut the floss for me.

Second - got another brother, preferably aged in the upper 30s to mid 40s for me? I could seriously get behind a guy who's willing to put this sort of effort into making something for his girlfriend!
You can come over here, too...no cheesecake or lasagna, but I'm sure I have something you'd like.

And I was going to ask the same thing, but I need an even older brother...well, unless I want to go cougar.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Oh that's so sweet, must be love... and a great thing you did for your brother, you will have to post pics of his finished piece..
Linda
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

What a great sister you are! I love that chart!
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

curly sue wrote:What a great sister you are! I love that chart!
I was thinking just the same! :rose: :rose: :horse: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I'm just so excited that so done in my family is interested in actually DOING my hobby not just admiring what I've done, which they are quite good at to give them credit. Although my dad has sat beside me doing it for 5 years and only just realised why it was called cross stitch a month or so ago "oh, you are making little crosses" :doh:

I love kitting up! Sounds like I could become a world wandering kitting upper! Cool.

He's my only brother! He's fab and I'm glad he's now got a gf who seems to really appreciate him and he's throwing himself into her world and she his. She does civil war reenactments!

I just hope he doesn't find it all too complex a design, but as we always say here "it's one stitch at a time!"

I will make sure he sends me constant updates, and brings it so I can see it as well, and if he agrees ill do a SAL for him....

Niki xx

Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Amanda G

Post by Amanda G »

That's brilliant that you've inspired him to have a go and, with your encouragement and help, he should have a fabulous new hobby! That's a great chicken design too :wub:
JA Fan

Post by JA Fan »

What an absolutely lovely sister you are to go the extra mile for your brother.
And what a lovely brother you have to go the extra mile for his girlfriend.

it's enough to make my heart melt!

:wub: :wub: :wub: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
WIP
Gold Collection Petite -- Cozy Cub
On hold:
HAED -- Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim
Past Impressions

Post by Past Impressions »

It's really lovely to see how, on hearing he'd picked a pattern a bit much for a beginner, you searched for one that still had the requisite amount of roosters! Excited to hear how he gets on with his first few stitches :)