Wolf Pattern Needed

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

mouselady

Wolf Pattern Needed

Post by mouselady »

I know this is the place to get my answer. I am new to cross-stitch, just started in December, but the bug has bitten big time. I find it so relaxing. After I started on Dimensions Twilight Bridge, which is rather detailed, I bought a bunch of small patterns, to work on when I was traveling or outside. I'm loving this sort of 'rotation.' Even though I am about a year away from finishing Twilight Bridge, I'm starting to think about another big project. I would like to make something for my husband. He loves wolves. I know it will take me several years but I want to do something rather detailed like a HAED or Golden Kite. I want something realistic, but not too dark. I don't mind blended colors, in fact I think they really add to the texture of the project. But so far I just can't find anything I am in love with. I am hoping the collective wisdom can suggest a site where I might search and find the perfect pattern.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Desiree

WIP:
Lobo - HAED
Faces of Joan Elliot SAL
Friendly Felines

2016 Finishes:
Joan Elliot Birth Announcement
Flower of the Month - July
12 Days of Christmas
NeedleAndFork

Re: Wolf Pattern Needed

Post by NeedleAndFork »

I'm not sure who it's by, but I think someone here recently worked on a photo realisitic wolf that had a light background. Maybe someone else reading this comment will remember which one I'm talking about, or you could go to the Stitch A Long part of the forum and start looking through peoples posts, and hopefully you'll find it!

Oh and of course.. welcome to the dark side. We have cookies. :) And I hear there's some rather dubious chocolate in the Stitch from Stash thread of you want to visit them. Either way.. welcome tot he site!
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

I've been doing HAED Adobe White by Sandi Baker (hoping to put the final stitch in it tonight :dance: ) but when I tried to find it to post a picture for you, it looked as though it's been discontinued from the HAED website and the image that I posted in my SAL thread has gone too. Such a shame, as it's a beautiful pattern and there were some other beautiful designs by the same husband and wife artists. :( :( :(

Lobo would be a good alternative (I have this one in my stash), or maybe one of these although some of them are a bit dark:
Wolf Song
Cries of the Night
Wolves Peak.
GK Wolf
Artecy All in the Family (I'm tempted by this one! :drool:)
Artecy Midnight Watcher
Artecy Wolf Close Up

Artecy.com has a few other wolf designs - go to the Animals/Wild Animals page - but the ones I've linked above are the nicest in my opinion.

Good luck finding one you like!
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

stitchnsew

Post by stitchnsew »

Shinysun is another cross stitching website that has a lot of wolf charts. I don't know how to put a direct link in, but it googles easily.
WIP
It's About Time-HAED, Ciro Marchetti
Sanctuary of Knowledge-HAED, Randall Spangler
Little Cake Shop-HAED, Aimee Stewart
Coming To Room SS MC-HAED, Jan Krasney
Everything So Beautiful-HAED, Alan Giana
A Stitch In Time-Aimee Stewart
Eden- Andy Russell
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

stitchnsew wrote:Shinysun is another cross stitching website that has a lot of wolf charts. I don't know how to put a direct link in, but it googles easily.
Here you go: Shinysun Wolves

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Artecy has some nice wolf patterns:
http://artecy.com/wild-animal-cross-stitch.html" target="_blank
(about a third of the way down the page)

And Mystic Stitch has a few:
http://www.mysticstitch.com/index.php?m ... cts_id=729" target="_blank
http://www.mysticstitch.com/index.php?m ... cts_id=285" target="_blank
http://www.mysticstitch.com/index.php?m ... ts_id=1007" target="_blank

WIP
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

There are 27 wolf charts at KustomKrafts: http://kustomkrafts.com/shop/index.php? ... th=1_23_28
Most are wolfs only, but there is one with a person in the picture.

I have, on several occasions, nearly bought the chart of this Leopard from them: http://kustomkrafts.com/shop/index.php? ... ucts_id=38 , but have never quite found the pain killer for my wallet that would be needed.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
JA Fan

Post by JA Fan »

I did Devoted Soulmates from Kustom Krafts -- see link below. Due to time restraints, (it was for a gift) I had to leave off some of it. But it still came out well.
If you check my gallery, there is a picture of it finished and after framing.

http://kustomkrafts.com/shop/index.php? ... ucts_id=20" target="_blank
WIP
Gold Collection Petite -- Cozy Cub
On hold:
HAED -- Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim
mouselady

Post by mouselady »

Thank you all so much! My hubby and I just looked through them all and have selected the final four contestants. I am siding with Lobo, but the hubby liked a few from Shinysun and Artecy Wolf Up Close. I may make the final decision this weekend.

BizzieLizzie, I actually saw your SAL of Adobe White and fell in love. I was all set to get that pattern and make it a surprise because I was so sure the hubby would love that one, but couldn't find the pattern, and also assumed it was retired. I was quite disappointed, but I cannot wait to see yours completed!

This is such a great place to get help and support. I just knew I would find new sites to look through, and now I can also look for landscapes which tend to be my favorite subject!

Thank you again! I really appreciate all the help!
Desiree

WIP:
Lobo - HAED
Faces of Joan Elliot SAL
Friendly Felines

2016 Finishes:
12 Days of Christmas
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

mouselady wrote:BizzieLizzie, I actually saw your SAL of Adobe White and fell in love. I was all set to get that pattern and make it a surprise because I was so sure the hubby would love that one, but couldn't find the pattern, and also assumed it was retired. I was quite disappointed
Thanks, mouselady, and yes it is very disappointing that the pattern has been discontinued. There were some other lovely designs of wolves and lions by the same artist and it's a real shame that they're not available any more. I'm soooo glad I got my favourites when I did.

Lobo is in my queue of patterns to be stitched one day, but it won't be for a while and I'll be interested to see how he stitches up if you decide to do him for your husband.

Can't wait to see which one you choose! :D

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

If you really want Adobe White, head over to HAED's message board and post in their wanted/exchange section. Once a pattern is retired, they allow members to sell/trade paper copies of a pattern that they own. PDFs aren't allowed to be sold because there's no way to ensure that the original owner will delete their copy as well, but paper copies are ok. You might also find it still available at a reseller that stocks paper copies of HAED patterns. The members there can be helpful at tracking down paper copies of out of print patterns.

BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

NeedleAndFork wrote:If you really want Adobe White, head over to HAED's message board and post in their wanted/exchange section. Once a pattern is retired, they allow members to sell/trade paper copies of a pattern that they own. PDFs aren't allowed to be sold because there's no way to ensure that the original owner will delete their copy as well, but paper copies are ok. You might also find it still available at a reseller that stocks paper copies of HAED patterns. The members there can be helpful at tracking down paper copies of out of print patterns.
So I couldn't give mouselady (for free) a copy of my Adobe White pattern and keep the original PDF even though it's discontinued and wouldn't be depriving anyone of a sale? Have I understood that correctly? I can never get my head around copyright law! :tizzy:

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

mouselady

Post by mouselady »

BizzieLizzie,

Just wanted to let you know the decision was to get Lobo. I am so excited, I can't wait. This will be only my third project ever but I am bound and determined to do it and do it well. The hubby has promised me at least 4 hours of stitching time a weekend in addition to whatever I can fit in on weeknights. I couldn't find a 25 ct fabric around here so I went with 28 and will 1 over 1 full crosses. Now to get all the thread, grid, organize....

Thank you so much for the help!
Desiree

WIP:
Lobo - HAED
Faces of Joan Elliot SAL
Friendly Felines

2016 Finishes:
12 Days of Christmas
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

Well that solves the copyright issue! :D Glad you've managed to find one that you love and I'll be interested to see how Lobo stitches up as I have him in my stash (although having spent the last nearly two years almost exclusively on Adobe White, it'll be a while before I do another wolf pattern!).

I love 1x1 on 28ct because it gives a high 'resolution', more like pixels than stitches. Can't wait to see your progress pics! :dance:

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

BizzieLizzie wrote:
NeedleAndFork wrote:If you really want Adobe White, head over to HAED's message board and post in their wanted/exchange section. Once a pattern is retired, they allow members to sell/trade paper copies of a pattern that they own. PDFs aren't allowed to be sold because there's no way to ensure that the original owner will delete their copy as well, but paper copies are ok. You might also find it still available at a reseller that stocks paper copies of HAED patterns. The members there can be helpful at tracking down paper copies of out of print patterns.
So I couldn't give mouselady (for free) a copy of my Adobe White pattern and keep the original PDF even though it's discontinued and wouldn't be depriving anyone of a sale? Have I understood that correctly? I can never get my head around copyright law! :tizzy:
I don't know what the actual law on this is, but HAED's rules (which may or may not be legal, just stating what they are) are that a paper copy of a pattern may be resold or given away as long as the original owner does not keep any copies of it. If it is a discontinued pattern then they allow it to be sold/swapped on their board but in print patterns can't be. PDFs they view as one owner only. If you have the PDF, you can't share with anyone in any format, be it printed, or electronically. In or out of print is irrelevant. So in a sense you could consider it that you didn't actually buy the pattern, you bought a single user license to use that pattern since if you owned it outright you would be free to do what you wanted with it. Again - not saying what is and isn't legal - I don't know copyright law regarding digital files well enough to know if that policy would hold up in a court of law. I know that with ebooks there's been all kinds of rukus about that in recent years, which has lead to Amazon creating a way for people to loan out an ebook to a friend, during which time the original owner is unable to access the book on their own device. Somewhere down the line actual law will come down on digital files and what is and isn't permitted, if it hasn't yet.

BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

Thank you for clarifying! I'll just err on the safe side and not share patterns, but buy them as gifts as the mood takes me.

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest