Where's your stitching place?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Gypsy57

Where's your stitching place?

Post by Gypsy57 »

I realised that I can only stitch on the sofa. I have a coffee table in front of me, where I can put everything I need around me, and also my computer where I always put on a film at the same time. Cup of tea also easily within reach. Cats next to me and comfy enough for them not to disturb me too much!
I can't sit and stitch at a table at all. Just can't get comfortable...!
I'm guessing you all have your stitchy places too?
Rose

Re: Where's your stitching place?

Post by Rose »

I have my own chair in the living room. It is a bit of a capsule for me on the left side there is the stool I use for my threads to set in. Beings I do a rotation of stitching I have 4 thread boxes in a basket. Also in there are a few charts and other needed supplies that stay in the basket so they do not get lost. A bit behind and to the left is my stand alone daylight light, this has a tray that I keep my pencil, scissors, tape measure, fabric marker and other small accessories. To the right is my free standing mag-light. beside that is a table I bought at (BBB) it holds my Kindle, drink, TV remote, DVD remote I have attached a magnet and pincushion to the top of it so I can keep track of my needles as I work. I also added hooks to the side and end to hang :ratherbe: that the small basket I use for ORT's and other garbage. and I also hang my travel bag there when I am home. Underneath is the larger tote I have my WIPS in I keep them in order of the rotation this keeps them organized as well as out of the way.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
crosstitcher1

Post by crosstitcher1 »

I have a compute/hobby room.
I'll post pics. in Dec, when I post this years projects finishes, on my website. And next spring, I am building an "outdoor" stitching area. I'll post pics. next year with my year end finishes, on my website.

HAPPY STITCHING IN STITCHING LAND :applesauce: :D :applesauce: :D
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

I stitch mostly in my bedroom. I have a craft room that is SO stuffed right now that there isn't really space in it to stitch with a large frame. I need to fix that sometime. But for now, I got a roku on the TV in my bedroom, so I usually have netflix going on the TV, my pattern up on my laptop besides me on a lap desk, and sit on my bed to stitch. On one side of my bed instead of a night stand I have a bookcase, so the middle shelf, which is the easiest to reach holds my boxes of bobbins, as well as fabric, my spare Qsnaps and other misc stitchy stuff.

I'd love to stitch elsewhere in the house but between a very hairy dog, a cat who demands laps when available, and no DVR/Roku/Netflix on the TV in the living area, my fuzz free bedroom wins.

I'm hoping to put in some real work on organizing my studio again over the next few months- right now it's just got boxes and bags of *stuff* dumped in it when I need to get them out of the way, and is completely unusable. Once that happens, I will see if I can set up a stitchy spot in there - though I won't be able to watch netflix unless it shares the screen with my pattern on my laptop. Will probably stick to Ebooks while stitchingi n there then..
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I do stitch in my craft room, that's for storage and making needle minders and machine sewing. I stitch in the living room. I have a recliner and have a lowery frame with a daisy dish, and it's next to a radiator and window ledge so that's where I put bits and pieces and drinks.

The lowery has a chart holder and I have needle minders (such a surprise!) and my finger covers etc in the well of the frame.

I watch the TV, we've just got a new bigger one so I'm getting used to that!! Or listen to audio books. I also have tweezers handy so I can't take out the continual dog/cat hair......

Nxxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
LastingAllure

Post by LastingAllure »

In a media room in front of a 60inch TV....there aren't any windows though, however my Ott lamp is right over my right shoulder so I get enough day light with that. I should also mention I live with my parents right now and the TV is my dad's haha. I just took over the media room as my stitching room :) Everyone knows the far end of the couch is my spot...otherwise I will kind of wonder around looking for a make do spot sitting and stitching in multiple places and they all laugh at me calling me Sheldon while I am trying to find a comfortable spot. :oops:

For designing I have an area in the patio room that is full of daylight...technically I should be stitching there. The patio room is kind of a craft area with the sewing machine set up and lots of crafting books and craft bins full of fabric, both quilting and cross stitch.
Gypsy57

Post by Gypsy57 »

Interesting how we all have our own space just for this! I'm quite impressed by all the "bits" you all have. Apart from threads and chart, I just have a pencil and mini pair of scissors! I don't use anything else. maybe I'm still in the beginners stages! :lol:
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I stitch in my recliner. I call it my "cockpit." There's a picture if it in one of these topics:

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =4&t=21942" target="_blank
http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =4&t=16009" target="_blank

I work on large projects, so my stitching isn't mobile. I don't share my chair (except with the dog and he moves as soon as I give him "the look.")

WIP
Chrissyml

Post by Chrissyml »

I also stitch on the couch, cats beside me, with my coffee on the coffee table. If I happen to drop or lose a needle, someone else in the family tends to find it.
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

I have a craft/computer room, but I stitch in the living room. I do small projects so I just keep all the things needed for it in a plastic square storage container. I only do one project at a time so all of my stash is in my craft room. I have a small clip on light if I need it. I also have one of those magnifiers that hangs around my neck but I don't use it. It won't stay in place and is very annoying to use! I would need to get a different magnifier if I were to use evenweaves.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

curly sue wrote:... I also have one of those magnifiers that hangs around my neck but I don't use it. It won't stay in place and is very annoying to use! ...
I have one of those magnifiers, too. It moves around too much when I hang it around my neck. I shorten the string as short as it will go and I put the string around the back of my head and hook over my ears. It seems a little wierd, but it really stays in place much better for me than having it hang around my neck.

WIP
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I stitch in my armchair in the living room, on the sofa in the conservatory, in bed with the over bed light on, in our bedroom sitting on the floor with my back to the window or on a chair in the garden. Once a fortnight, I stitch in the local library for 2 hours.

Due to the migratory stitching I do, I have everything in a Christmas 2010 Marks & Spencer carrier bag and just pick the frame & bag up when I need to move.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

richardandtracy wrote:I stitch in my armchair in the living room, on the sofa in the conservatory, in bed with the over bed light on, in our bedroom sitting on the floor with my back to the window or on a chair in the garden. Once a fortnight, I stitch in the local library for 2 hours.

Due to the migratory stitching I do, I have everything in a Christmas 2010 Marks & Spencer carrier bag and just pick the frame & bag up when I need to move.

Regards,

Richard

Sounds like me!! (apart from the bedroom...D/H would FREAK OUT!!! :shock: )

I was stitching in our Motor-van (RV ) this weekend. 8) We went away overnight.

I have a canvas tote bag to carry everything from place to place.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I stitch at the dining room table. Often with a cat on my lap or in the chair next to me or on the table trying to get my attention. I have one of my rolling carts next to me which has my current project's materials and all my extra threads and/or accessories are in the cabinet or sewing basket behind me. My Magnilight is right behind me.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Gypsy57

Post by Gypsy57 »

:) My cats are having some readjustment issues at the moment on my stitch space. As I'm leaving in a few months, I've started being over organised and trying to sell as much as my stuff as possible- that means the sofa cushions, too. Kitties liked those pillows! So did I actually... !
fccs

Post by fccs »

On my couch in my living room, usually with the tv on to keep me company. Jackson is often snuggled right next to me, often on my left arm which kind of pins it in place. I have a floor lamp at one end of the couch and my magnifier light at the other, so I pick which ever end has was I need for the particular project and time of day. Both ends of the couch recline so I am able to get pretty comfy. My scissors and highlighter/colored pencils are on the end table and the other stuff is in either a tote bag (I love totes bags!!) or plastic boxes. My soda or glass of wine is also on the end table. :-)

When the weather is nice (which is very common here), I like to stitch out on my little patio. Actually, I will even stitch out there when it's raining as long as the wind isn't blowing the rain onto my patio. It's covered by my upstairs neighbor's balcony, so I stay pretty well protected. When I'm out there, my iPad or tablet will be with me and I'll watch Netflix or baseball games. I haven't tried to stitch out there when it's snowing...I'm not sure my fingers would work properly. :-)
Gypsy57 wrote::) trying to sell as much as my stuff as possible- that means the sofa cushions, too. Kitties liked those pillows! So did I actually... !
Maybe you can keep one cushion? For you and the kitties...like a souvenir. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
perftangel

Post by perftangel »

fccs wrote: I haven't tried to stitch out there when it's snowing...I'm not sure my fingers would work properly. :-)
Hahaha, I can see you trying this winter lugging out a space heater and watching the snow fall. ;)

I'm either on my couch or on our loveseat. My cat is a "side cat" which means she has to be touching you at all times, but she won't sit on you. I think she knows she weighs too much for that to work. I have my sewing box (it's a tiered thing) off to the side in front of me where I place everything... wine glass, ort jar, threads, iPad, scissors, etc. It can move around with me. BUt typically my husband is playing video games and I"m stitching. Sometimes it's just me (which is when I sit on the couch instead of the loveseat) and have netflix on in the background. I've done some stitching at my desk, but I'm not a fan.

I get bored easily so I have all of my projects packaged for easy portability too. :)
fccs

Post by fccs »

perftangel wrote:
fccs wrote: I haven't tried to stitch out there when it's snowing...I'm not sure my fingers would work properly. :-)
Hahaha, I can see you trying this winter lugging out a space heater and watching the snow fall. ;)
Guess what I saw at Sam's Club yesterday...table top outdoor heaters. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Heres my spot

Opposite this chair is my computer/ TV/ stereo.
I snicked this chair from my parents when they bought new furniture.
This is a swivel rocker that was in the "good" room when I was growing up.
My sisters and I used to sit in this chair and spin, spin, spin. Drove my mother nuts.. but hey, we weren't fighting!
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

Ooh Maggie, that chair looks comfy!

I have my own sofa in the living room and spend most of my time there stitching or reading. I keep the threads, pattern and 'tools' (magnets, tweezers, laying tool, scissors, pin cushion) at one end and at the other end to the side of the sofa is a big wooden chest with a padded lid that holds my stash and doubles as an extra seat when we have visitors.
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest