What's your dream job?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Serinde

Re: What's your dream job?

Post by Serinde »

This is my dream job. (Click on Exhibition research assistant for the English Medieval Embroidery exhibition to be staged in 2016). Wish I was 30 years younger and in London! I'll certainly go to that exhibition (as it's unlikely they'll bring it up to the V&A in Dundee.)

On the non-stitching front, I would love to run a croft or smallholding. Do a bit of editing on the side.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Serinde wrote:This is my dream job. (Click on Exhibition research assistant for the English Medieval Embroidery exhibition to be staged in 2016).
That is a job worth doing for free! That is going to be an awesome exhibit!

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Reading the V&A articles on embroidery, samplers etc in the 'Textiles' section is fascinating.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

I've actually been giving this quite a bit of thought lately.

I enjoy my current job because it scratches the analytical/mathematical part of my brain (and that is definitely something I need in my life). But I also am finding that stitching, sewing, knitting, spinning, etc are more to me than just a hobby. I am constantly inspired by new ideas and projects, and I have nowhere near enough time to explore them (I do take detailed notes, so I can revisit in the future :) ).

I think that designing it the one occupation in this field that I could sustain a passion for, while also being able be productive enough to make a living. The only problem is I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the living that I would make (if one could even call it a living). Or that I would even be successful as a designer (I would have to design something and put it out into the world for others to use first :) ). That is something that I hope to explore in the future (not being a full time designer, but designing in general), but until then, I will keep enjoying the time I have to spend crafting.

And I am very interested in learning more about the production side of things (especially dying threads, fabric, and yarn), but I don't think I would enjoy it as a job long-term.
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
Evedeve

Post by Evedeve »

First a side note: Richard, your pens are gorgeous! I think i left a large puddle of drool on my keyboard :drool: :drool: and you are roughly in same neck of woods as my uncle (my mum was from Folkestone) who is around Ashford :) lovely area (and I see there is another Kent'er on here as well. I always enjoy my visits there)

Now back to the topic at hand: dream job in stitching, urmmm dont wanna make it work - need to leave the relaxation.

Librarian was always high on my list....or bookseller (although I'd be forever in debt to the store and never leave with a paycheck). Some sort of travel writer - where of course the travel was required to write good stuff (ok i just want to travel) :) :airplane:
Heather
Blog: http://savouryintoxication.blogspot.com/

WIP:
Cigar box image
Table cloth
Old Dimensions Oriental stitch
God of War II
Smalls
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Thanks Evedeve, I do try to make my pens as nice as possible, but the ones in my head are so much better that they make the ones I can make seem so poor in comparison. :oops: Depressing really.

I live on the north coast - if Kent is the 'Garden of England', then where I live is the compost heap, ie the bit everyone wants to forget!

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

richardandtracy wrote:Thanks Evedeve, I do try to make my pens as nice as possible, but the ones in my head are so much better that they make the ones I can make seem so poor in comparison. :oops: Depressing really.
Hang on now.. I can say with certainty that your pens are indeed gorgeous. So stop it already!
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
Sarah Gixxer

Post by Sarah Gixxer »

My dream stitchy job would be to run an online company selling floss and charts and other goodies. I'd enjoy making charts too for anyone who wanted them too, and making up a kit for them so they could start stitching straight away.

Non-stitchy- my dream job would be a full time author. I'm on the bottom couple of rungs of the ladder with that, so it's not completely beyond the realms of possibility, I'm happy to say. One published book doing fairly well, a short story in an anthology coming out next month and another one in December, and I just received a contract offer for another novel I submitted a few weeks ago. Maybe in a few more years I might make an income from it :)
CURRENT WIPs
HAEDs - Bubble Telescope, Floatilla, Rainbow Embrace, Ray of Light, Iron Dragon, Newport Lighthouse
Fractal 239 Aero Chocolate
Kuschelschaf

Post by Kuschelschaf »

I actually had a chance to do my dream job for a bit. I'd love to be either a radio dj or like, a dj that mixes dub step and techno and all that! :whoop:

I worked as a radio dj during some downtime in grad school and loved it. I had my own show: "retchid cat's metal mayhem" at 6 am LOL. You get to meet a lot of really cool people and even though it looks like you're operating a giant spider, it's loads of fun.

I'd much rather do that than what I'm doing now... Oh well LOL
Visit my new blog HERE

2019 finishes:
Mr. Sparkle
The North Wind
Nessie

On permanent hiatus:
Ferret in Sepia
Angel

Post by Angel »

I'm answering at a bit of an odd time for me.

My dream job was always to work in a small LNS with good friends, serving customers and sorting orders. I got that job a few years back working my dream job, in my dream shop, in my dream location. But we're in the process of moving to an area I don't know at all, and from what I've see, don't like. The friends I work with aren't following the shop. The job it looks like I'll be doing is moving away from customers and stock and looking more internet based since our internet lady isn't coming with us... So My dream job is actually the one that's just been taken away from me.
fccs

Post by fccs »

Angel wrote:So My dream job is actually the one that's just been taken away from me.
:cry: :tantrum: :cry:
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Angel

Post by Angel »

I know right? How unfair is that? I'm at the new place today, and then afternoon tea tomorrow with everyone as a goodbye party before the new place opens on Thursday.