Finishing Plastic Canvas

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Happy_Frog

Finishing Plastic Canvas

Post by Happy_Frog »

Hi,
I'm working on a set of Christmas decorations, which I'm doing on 14 count plastic canvas. This is the first time I've ever used plastic canvas, and I'm just not sure how to finish them?
I want to back them with something to hide the stitching, but I'm not sure how. I thought I might glue felt or card on the back, but then started to worry about the glue soaking through, and marking the front? Staining, or making the colour run or such?
Has anyone ever done anything similar? What glue is the right sort? Felt or card?

Thanks for reading, I would be grateful for any advice.
rcperryls

Re: Finishing Plastic Canvas

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hi and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! I can't help you with your issue since I've never worked on plastic canvass, but we have members who have and I'm sure will have some ideas for you. Hope you'll post pictures of your decorations. We love pictures and Christmas decorations are always great to see.

Carole
:)
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
speart

Post by speart »

Not sure if the product is still available, but there used to be peel and stick felt at the fabric stores. That's what I used. Heavy "sticker" paper for scrapbooking might also work. If there is time, could you make a back for your ornies and then whipstitch them together. The back could be plain tent stitch, plain w/embroidered name and date, or just a mirror image of the ornie.
Strawberry Fields

Post by Strawberry Fields »

I've always used felt, and apply a thin amount of Elmer's Glue to it before melding it to the back of the canvas. Sometimes a bit of glue will seep through the holes, but it will dry clear. There are most likely better methods of finishing out there, but this works well for me!
Happy_Frog

Post by Happy_Frog »

Thank you for your answers, I was thinking felt myself. Could you tell me please, what is Elme's glue? Is that like PVA? Or super glue?

I do have some if the self adhesive felt, but I wasn't sure it would be strong enough?

Thank you for your help.
Athalie

Post by Athalie »

The self adhesive felt is plenty strong enough, it's all I ever use for backing single sided bookmarks and ornaments.
cairee

Post by cairee »

Athalie wrote:The self adhesive felt is plenty strong enough, it's all I ever use for backing single sided bookmarks and ornaments.

this.

I found myself looking for a "like" button.........
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)