scissors

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

babyfairie

scissors

Post by babyfairie »

What kind of scissors do you all use? See I'm brand new to this and don't really have money for them right now but my roommate was picking on me because currently all I have to use are nail clippers to cut my thread, not very nice but hey it works for now I suppose. Should I save up for some really nice ones or would just generic ones work best hmm, ideas anyone?
Stitchinkitty

Re: scissors

Post by Stitchinkitty »

I.ve been known to use nail clippers when I can't find a pair of scissors.I have a lot of embroidery scissors,small inexpensive ones.As long as they don't get used for anything else..."no DH you may not use my scissors to unclog your bottle of glue" they work as well as ultra expensive ones.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
fccs

Post by fccs »

I have also used nail clippers on occasion. I have several pairs of scissors, from super cheap plastic ones to rather expensive ones. If you have a Dollar Tree or similar near you, or a Walmart or Target, I bet you can find an inexpensive pair to use for now. Some people also use one pair for their floss and another for the metalic and blending filament, but I'm too lazy to switch so I use the same scissors for everything. (And ssshhh....I've even trimmed fabric with my little scissors.)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
speart

Post by speart »

The best ones I've ever had cost all of ten bucks from Joann's; the same ones can be found at Michaels. As long as the blades are small and sharp, any will do just fine.
Rose

Post by Rose »

As long as they are clean and sharp you can get any that you like.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Yes, I concur with everything that's been said -- clean and sharp, cheap works just fine, and don't use them for anything else. I use double-curve scissors because I can get the cutting blades right done on the work without poking the fabric with the points. Even those specialty scissors don't have to be expensive. In a pinch, I've used nail clippers and coupon cutters (a razor blade in a plastic holder for cutting coupons out of the paper).

WIP
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I have a tiny pair of Fiskar's scissors. They are very good except for two things.
  1. They are so small that they slip down under whatever cat is on my lap at the time and I loose them for the rest of the session (or until the cat moves, whichever is sooner, say 1.5 hrs).
  2. The handle apertures are so small that I can't get my thumb properly into the hole, making them a bit awkward to use. This is not likely to be a problem for too many female stitchers - I need XL men's gloves and they always feel rather tight.
Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

richardandtracy wrote:I have a tiny pair of Fiskar's scissors. They are very good except for two things.
  1. They are so small that they slip down under whatever cat is on my lap at the time and I loose them for the rest of the session (or until the cat moves, whichever is sooner, say 1.5 hrs).
  2. The handle apertures are so small that I can't get my thumb properly into the hole, making them a bit awkward to use. This is not likely to be a problem for too many female stitchers - I need XL men's gloves and they always feel rather tight.
I use Fiskars too, but I don't have the same issues as Richard because I have thin fingers and no cats.
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

BizzieLizzie wrote:I use Fiskars too, but I don't have the same issues as Richard because I have ... no cats.
That is an awful handicap that must be remedied immediately!!! :kitty:

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I've used lots of different kinds and have used nail clippers in a pinch too. Scissors don't need to be expensive. I would use what is available and works for you. Check out the dollar and discount stores and thrift stores. I have several with the curved blade that Allyn talked about and if you pm me your address I would be glad to send you one. They are old and not the very sharpest, but they do work fine.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

My favorites are my Fiskars embroidery scissors. Little 4" all stainless pair. Not orange handled like most Fiskars pairs. I picked them up with a 50% coupon from JoAnns for maybe $6-7.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I'm a big fan of Fiskers scissors. I love the pair I have.

Just treated myself, though to my first stork pair of scissors. They are made in Sheffield, UK. The home of Steel.

http://www.ernestwright.co.uk/" target="_blank maybe the last traditional firm to be making scissors.

Yes, I know that they are expensive....BUT they are SO Beautiful. :wub: :wub:
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

I have $6.00 Aud pairs for taking to craft group where others might use them.

And I have Ghingers for my personal use.

The Ghingers are much nicer to use, more comfortable, cleaner more tactile and controlled cut. They also look the business. But you do have to look after them or it's a waste of money - no dropping, no cutting things like paper (I have one big pair for fabric and one tiny for thread), no letting other people with different tensiin, cutting style etc use them because it will dull them ... with my cheap ones I don't care cause I just buy a new pair when they get dull.

The cheap ones do the job. But if you really enjoy your stitching it's nice to invest in a luxury pair.
Myst..