Question re: kit organization

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

krissa

Question re: kit organization

Post by krissa »

I started the Janlynn Summer Sampler yesterday, with the intention of doing all 4 in the set. I absolutely love the pattern.

http://www.123stitch.com/item/Janlynn-S ... it/07-2687" target="_blank

The problem I'm having is that the kit comes with floss looped through holes in a card, and there is a key, so telling which color is which isn't an issue. The issue is that keeping the floss looped on the card isn't going to be a good long term solution because it doesn't stay in the holes well. I need to organize it some other way. It's cut in maybe 24" lengths, so it's tough to wind multiple cut lengths onto a bobbin. I'm looking for any other suggestions as to how you separate kit thread? Thanks so much!
Allyn

Re: Question re: kit organization

Post by Allyn »

I use Floss-A-Way bags -- little zip-loc bags on a ring. It works for me to hold all the pre-cut lengths when using blended threads so it would be the same for pre-cut lengths in a kit.

WIP
fccs

Post by fccs »

I've used the cards that come from kits, and some plastic and paper floss organizers with holes and haven't had an issue with the floss not staying put. But if yours just isn't cooperating, Allyn's idea is a good one; if you don't have the floss-away bags, regular Ziploc type baggies work just as well and most of us have those in our kitchens. The floos-away bags are more substantial and I prefer them, but I'll use kitchen baggies as well.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
krissa

Post by krissa »

Thanks so much - I just ordered the floss-a-way bags from Amazon. I'm looking forward to getting them and getting organized.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

fccs wrote:... if you don't have the floss-away bags, regular Ziploc type baggies work just as well and most of us have those in our kitchens. The floos-away bags are more substantial and I prefer them, but I'll use kitchen baggies as well.
That's a good tip. I've used them as well and punched my own ring hole. If you get the "snack-size" bags, they're half as deep as the sandwich bags.

WIP
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

I make up my own thread cards, if it's a smallish color palette.
I might make up 2 cards if it's limited colors, but a large quantity of each. I'd make a "working card" with 3-4 lengths per color, the rest on a storage card. Just a simple hole punched index card, some use cut up cereal boxes, junk mail envelopes, whatever you can get your hands on.

lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

I started making my own holed cards for floss but recently used ones which come with each kit but threads get so tangled. Mine looks like cat's cradle gone demented!! Silly really as kept oodles of tea bag boxes, cereal boxes etc. for that use. When you make your own you can space out the holes so thread doesn't tangle so easily. I cut my thread bundles in half if they are longer than I want to stitch with as I find too long a thread becomes knotted.
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

If I'm working a kit, I use the floss -away bags and also I have another brand. I tried the cardboards years ago, but found I prefer the bags. I've recently started using the tiny zip bags you can buy in bulk in the jewelry making supplies to hold usable left over floss from kits. They fit nicely in a plastic box like I store my floss bobbins in. Now and then I will use some of it when I need a small amount.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I wind my threads from kits onto card bobbins. I put the numder and/ or symbol on each.
Bit of a faff but it works for me. Then once I've finished I tipex over and use them again.
themuzikchild

Post by themuzikchild »

I too use the little plastic bobbins. I also got the cheap bobbin winder to avoid going mad. I keep the floss for each project in one of those plastic boxes with dividers. Seems to be helpful. I recently ordered the Pako Floss Organizer to keep my working threads in order. I was using index cards/baggies but it was such a pain to have to keep opening them every time I needed a new color.
Although I am working on a HAED so I've got a lot more color changes than a normal piece. :D
WIPs in Rotation
HAED_Jodi Bergsma - Hummers
HAED_Annya Kai - Grumpy Owl QS
2105 Finishes
Thomas Kinkade - The Lion King 5x7
My Blogs
https://craftymakings.blogspot.com
http://stitchystart.blogspot.com/