Airplane Travel Stitching

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

shadyglade

Airplane Travel Stitching

Post by shadyglade »

So I'm taking my first airplane flight in a long time, and as it's going to be a 5 hour flight with a 3 hour layover, I wanted to take some of my stitching along this time.

Does anyone here have experience with taking a WIP through airport security? I'm not sure what the TSA regulations on scissors/needles would be?
Rose

Re: Airplane Travel Stitching

Post by Rose »

It is going to be in your best interest to take a small project those seats are so cramped these days. As for your scissors I think they have to be less then 3 inches but I am not sure. It would be best if you could call your airport and ask them what the current regulations are. Or maybe the airport has a web page with info on it and you could do an internet search to find out about your questions. I use Bing but you could use any search engine that you like.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I agree with Rose, a small project is the easiest to use. I have never had any problems getting through Security. I do have a few of these Needle threader with cutter, which work really well. I was told they were made originally for airplane trips, but don't know if that is true. The needle threader is very useful if you are trying to thread a needle and the plane goes through a bumpy bit of flying. I have also met some interesting people while stitching in the waiting area. I took my HAED "Burden" on one flight which has pages of just black stitching which got some attention from cross stitchers. Definitely helps to pass the time.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

In theory they should allow scissors with less than 60mm from the pivot to the tip.
Let's just say, airport security staff have a tiny definition of one mm and it's likely that on anything other than a domestic flight anything over 30mm will be confiscated.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I once had a 1" nail file confiscated :shock: so goodness knows what they will and won't allow! I always bring a thread cutter instead of scissors, and hope that my needle will go unnoticed...
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

If you don't have a nifty little cutter like Carole mentioned, I would definitely suggest you take scissors that you don't care about. The TSA guidelines that you'll find on the website are all well and good, but that's no guarantee that the TSA folks at the gate will know the guidelines, or follow the guidelines even if they do know them. If you argue with a TSA agent, you'll just meet more resistance, so if they tell you that you can't take the scissors on board, just throw them away. Hopefully, your trips through the security checkpoints -- outbound and inbound -- will be a non-event. :)

WIP
BlondeStitcher

Post by BlondeStitcher »

I have been stitching on the plane the last two years when I go home for christmas. The best advice I have is to take a cheap pair of little sewing scissors with you and pack your nice sicissors in your checked bag. You shouldnt have a problem but better safe than sorry.

It is really tight to stitch on the plane but not impossible. so plan sections ahead of time if you can that dont involve many color changes that way you can pull out what you need right when you get on and not have to keep botheringyour neighbors pulling out your bag allthe time.

My neighbors have always been very friendly and curious about my stitching. But always make sure I'm not encroaching on their space
ayna

Post by ayna »

I've stitched on flights within Europe for some years now without any problems. I don't take scissors but use a thread cutter which goes over my head and looks a little like a pendant necklace - I only wear it this way so that it doesn't fall onto the floor. I've only ever done smallish projects in a flexible hoop. I do think, however, that you would be wise to check with the airport authority or the carrier before risking, perhaps, losing your piece to an over officious security person.

I do know, that here in Europe, the position with knitting needles is less certain.
shadyglade

Post by shadyglade »

Thank you for all the advice! Luckily, I am travelling with family, so they won't be able to complain (too much) if I get in their way.

I like the look of the thread cutters, and I didn't know about those, so thanks for that. Sadly I don't think I have time to order one online before I leave. Our Joann's is hit and miss, but does anyone know what section they might be in if they did have them? Our embroidery/cross stitch section is desolate at best (mostly just DMC thread, some 14 count aida and a few kits)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I think I have seen similar ones at Michael's on occasion (always hit or miss there). I think if they aren't in the cross stitch section, maybe in the general sewing area? Or if there is some kind of travel section? Don't know if they have those or not. If you can't find them at Joanne's or any of the other big craft stores, I would get a fairly cheap pair of scissors for the plane, so that as Allyn said, you won't lose much if they are confiscated. Annoying, but you never know what TSA will do. Maybe even a blunt pair of children's scissors for just cutting lengths of thread. If you have strands in the back that you need to cut you can also clean it up later with your good scissors.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
ener23

Post by ener23 »

I haven't been on an airplane in 8 years so I'm just throwing an idea out there...can you take small nail clippers?
Erin

Completed
Little Sports Birth Record
Frog Boquet

WIP
Bless Us, O' Lord
fccs

Post by fccs »

I always travel with scissors and a small project and I've never had any issues. The scissors I take are little ones that fold in on them selves to make them nice and small. While I've never been asked about the scissors, I have had to have my backpack searched a couple times due to Gummy Bears - they apparently show up on the xray as suspiciously gel-like. Makes me (and the TSA agents) laugh every time.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
carolanne

Post by carolanne »

on a different site recently, someone mentioned taking a dental floss container to cut threads..I've been planning on testing that out.
carolanne

Post by carolanne »

just tried out the dental floss cutter, worked fine. Don't see how that could be a problem at all.
JenJ1978

Post by JenJ1978 »

I bought a pair of childrens' safety scissors (the blunt tip ones). I don't care if they get confiscated, and they are not at all threatening since they're designed for preschoolers. Plus, they don't hurt if you sit on them accidentally, and they're easy to find if you drop them.
Jen

WIP's:
Nature's Peace (Dimensions mini)
Last Minute (Joan Elliott)
White Peonies (Dimensions Gold Petite)
RosemaryD

Post by RosemaryD »

The official rules, certainly within Europe, are that a pair of sharp or blunt scissors with blade less than 6cm (approx 2.4 inches) is allowed. Blunt-ended scissors of any length are apparently allowed although I could see that raising eyebrows. Nail clippers and nail files are allowed, as are tweezers, knitting needles and sewing needles. There is definitely variation in the level of knowledge and degree of enforcement amongst security officials though...

A small pair of blunt-ended scissors would be highly unlikely to cause a problem.

Rosemary
Rosemary

WIPs
Blue Moon - Andy Russell
The Shore of the Turquoise Sea - Albert Bierstadt
Arabian Walled Garden - Chatelaine
lcamp

Post by lcamp »

Funny about the gummy bears! I never would have thought about that.

Dental floss container as thread cutter, what a great idea. Necessity is the mother of multiple use items! I'll have to remember this one!
HalbertMusik

Post by HalbertMusik »

Hello-

I am an American opera singer who travels often - It is funny how rules may be applied differrently by differrent security people (though we, the travellers are last to know about travel/security advisories...).

I have had small, round nail scissors for children confiscated as well as a pair of nail clippers.

Thread cutters, worn around the neck work well as do playing cards (edge) , if you can get the knack of it.

I must try the dental floss - seams :wink: like a great idea!
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

I frequently stitch on flights. Last time, 2 weeks ago.
I've worked it out that a C seat is my favorite.. My pulling arm is in the aisle.
I bring my cheapie scissors, small 4" is legal to go through security.
Print out the TSA page if you want.. because agents are hit or miss.

I also make up plane kits with pre cut thread in 8-10" lengths looped on an index card with color # and symbols. That way, should I have to pitch scissors, I can still work.
I minimize my tool kit.. 2 needles, scissors, pencil, highlighter, hoop, and copy of pattern.
I want it easy to carry, take out, and put away.
All fits into my vinyl zipper bag I picked up at office supply store

Happy Travels