Where do you purchase your fabric ONLINE?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

LaurelC

Where do you purchase your fabric ONLINE?

Post by LaurelC »

Hi all!

I'm new to online stitching but certainly not new to stitching, though I had put away my craft for probably 15 years. Shame! I'm at it again full force and loving it.

I'm so frustrated! I'm trying to buy 18 count Ivory Aida in 24 x 12 and can't find anyplace to purchase it. I mean it's 18 count Aida, nothing special. I don't have a LNS around so I'm out of luck there. Hmm, I wonder if Joanne's cuts fabric to size or carries different sizes, I'll have to look. :?

So where do you buy your fabric? I'm in the USA so USA vendors would be helpful. I'm not yet familiar with all of the larger online stores though I see 123 doesn't have much of a selection AT ALL!

Thanks in advance -- :applesauce:

LaurelC
LaurelC.Me.Smile :D
karen4bells

Re: Where do you purchase your fabric ONLINE?

Post by karen4bells »

Hello and welcome to the forum---as for online fabric, I usually buy from ebay or 123stitch. I imagine if you sent 123stitch an email they would likely be willing to sell fabric in the size you want
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

cairee

Post by cairee »

24x12 is an oddball size, most of the fabrics are sold by the yard, or fractions of a yard (half, quarter, eighth) a half yard of zwiegart aida is 21x36, which would suit your needs with a bit to spare.
http://www.123stitch.com/item/Zweigart- ... /123-5333X

123stitch is my go to for most of my fabrics and threads. if they dont have what I want I go to sewandso.co.uk
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
fccs

Post by fccs »

My #1 online store is 123stitch. They have 18 count ivory Aida, just not the exact size you want, but the price is reasonable and if you just get the bigger piece, you'll have plenty left for another project. Sometimes I will call my old LNS in California, but as Cairee said, the cuts are fractions of a yard.

What are you going to be working on?
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
lillybit

Post by lillybit »

I must admit I'm always surprised you cannot buy 1/2 width pieces in the US and UK when I can in New Zealand where the available selection of embroidery fabrics is a fraction of what you have available.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! Since my LNS closed I have also pretty much relied on big craft stores which are mostly useless (Hobby Lobby has the best fabric selection of the ones here and that is very skimpy) and on-line stores. I usually start with 123 Stitch, but have found that Nordic Needle and Herrschners have also been reliable if 123 Stitch can't provide what I need, but they are very good at doing the best they can to find what you need. And if you get into the hand dyed fabrics there are lots of sites, including some that are run by forum members.

Like Debby, I'm interested in knowing what you are planning on stitching and hope that you will post pictures for us to admire.

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Rose

Post by Rose »

I will echo what the others have already said, I use 123 often and they are excellent with customer service!!!!!!
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Brekkana

Post by Brekkana »

I have purchased from Everything Crossstitch and most recently, Julie's X Stitch, and have had no problems with Julie's, and only a slight problem with Everything Crossstitch.
So many HAEDs I couldn't possibly list them all. Current favorites are Dragon Kin, Sea Unicorns (QS), April Fairy, What's This, Dahlia, and so many starts going on. Love to cross stitch! Find me on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/brekkana.kultiras
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I get everything from 123Stitch. They have good selection of fabric at reasonable prices.
Linda
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

lillybit wrote:I must admit I'm always surprised you cannot buy 1/2 width pieces in the US and UK when I can in New Zealand where the available selection of embroidery fabrics is a fraction of what you have available.

Full-width is usually 44 or 45 inches, so half-width would be 22 inches or thereabouts. I found the same piece Cairee linked: that 21- by 36-inch piece. That would work and it's a yard of half-width. I usually buy full yards (unless it's a specialty fabric for a specific project), because whatever it is, I'll need more of it. I rarely need a piece smaller than a fat-quarter. When I buy online, 123Stitch is my go-to site, but they sell alot of little scrap-sizes of fabric. (Anything smaller than a fat quarter, to me, is a "little scrap.") If they don't have what I want, I check Nordic Needle (stellar customer service).

WIP
speart

Post by speart »

Give Elegant Stitch (from California) or Silver Needle a try. WONDERFUL folks and top notch service/pricing.
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

123 Stitch is my go to online store for most of my cross stitching needs.

I do have a couple of LNS within 30 min from me, so I sometimes get some specialty threads or fabric on those.

I've also used Silkweavers for dyed evenweaves.
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
LaurelC

Post by LaurelC »

A big thanks to everyone! (I kept forgetting to get back here and post, sheesh!)

I never thought of calling 123stitch - I'm so used to doing everything online that talking to a real person has become obsolete. That's a sad state of affairs, I agree.

I was making a "home sweet home" that came in a kit. WAS making. I gave up because it is on 14 count fabric and the "X" are too obvious. I'm going to make it but I'm going to purchase some 18 count. I was going to pick out all of my stitches, the HOME SWEET HOME part being done of course (!!!), but the fabric is too small to be worth much to me, and too country for my tastes, and I'm not a great one for 14 count anyway. I just tossed the fabric (I know, right, that is so foreign to me - I'm sure I'll dig it back out!)

I have found a few of the 'stores' you all mentioned prior to coming back and reading (thanks flosstube!). I also didn't realize that fabric was sold in mostly quarters. I wonder if that was the case 25 years ago when I stitched like a crazy woman? Hmm.

I have made a few other small kits and they are lovely, I'll post some pics soon. I recently purchased Celtic Spring and had no idea how big she was, sheesh! A little daunting for a oldie-back-in-the-saddle-again but the two kits I've made are on 28 count fabric and I've learned how to grid (no parking yet!) so I feel I'm in the fast lane.

Thanks again for your warm hello's and advice ~~

ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

I'm glad I found this post. I've been ordering from 1-2-3Stitch.com. I am glad I am at the right place. I did find a place called DoveStitch.com. they have some nice fabrics too.