Missing

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Lizzieh

Missing

Post by Lizzieh »

Sorry if my presence here is a bit intermittent. It is purely because my wi-fi is also intermittent and I can only get on line every now and then (I think the wind has to be in the right direction!!)
One of the joys of living in a rural part of Cornwall!
Liz

WIPIn rotation
Quick Stitch Tulips
Egyptian heart
Pretty pastels
Peek a boo

UFO
HAED storykeep

2014 finishes
Parent's garden
Allyn

Re: Missing

Post by Allyn »

I can empathize! We moved to a rural area in the Spring and now we're in satellite Internet. Rain or heavy cloud cover interrupts line-of-sight between the dish and the satellite and we lose connection. We've had an unusual amount of rainfall over the last three months; so yeah, I get it.

WIP
Lizzieh

Post by Lizzieh »

BT keep telling me that it has probably got worse coz more people are using it in the area. I tried to explain that the only people in the area are the sheep in the field next door!!
Liz

WIPIn rotation
Quick Stitch Tulips
Egyptian heart
Pretty pastels
Peek a boo

UFO
HAED storykeep

2014 finishes
Parent's garden
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Lizzieh wrote:BT keep telling me that it has probably got worse coz more people are using it in the area. I tried to explain that the only people in the area are the sheep in the field next door!!
@rotfl: @rotfl: There is a movie coming out next month (animated- I've seen the posters at the movie theater) starring sheep, so they may be more intelligent than we think. With a laptop and WI-FI who can ever be sure? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

Lizzieh wrote:BT keep telling me that it has probably got worse coz more people are using it in the area. I tried to explain that the only people in the area are the sheep in the field next door!!
And I think it would be safe to assume that said sheep are somewhat computer illiterate? :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Offe

Post by Offe »

And I throw a fit as soon as my internet connection is down more than one minute.
Cecilia

Post by Cecilia »

@rotfl: I had to show your post to my DH as well - he thought it was funny too. :lol: :lol:
Completed 2017: Anniversary Sampler by The Sweetheart Tree

Love comforteth like sunshine after rain. Shakespeare
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

My parents lived in a rural part of N Devon (near Clovelly) for a good few years. One winter there was a storm with 100+mph winds and their line came down from the poles. As an emergency measure BT tied the line to the hedge and promptly forgot about it. Next august the farmer trimmed the hedge and minced a mile or more of phone line. This was a blessing in disguise as 2 days later there was a lightning strike on the exchange, which evaporated the entire electronics in the exchange and blew up phones in every house attached to it. Even started fires in 4 of the houses (not too much damage as most were farmers and the houses were occupied in the day).

So, yeah. I know the trials of remote living. It's probable there is wear to the insulation & water's getting in. Broadband connections show this long before the voice communication does due to the high frequency data being more susceptible to this sort of degradation. If it's any consolation, dial-up looses transfer speed, but can usually be used for as long as voice comms.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Hi, I have not been on much due to the same problems as yours. The I/net has been going on & off for several days, had to restore my laptop, then power cut Friday evening & I had to restore laptop again Saturday am :tantrum: Got on here the other day & only posted 2 comments & laptop went off boil, so frustrating !

Think yours may be worse than ours up here but are you the same as this North Wales Coast area, one of the worst places in the UK for Internet connections? I came on here to make similar post to yours & to say if I am halfway through something & I disappear, it is the Internet, not me being off hand!

Llovely morning Thursday am sat in garden, afternoon winds started & still very breezy up to last night. More like October then July. Heavy rain from 4 or 5 am for a couple of hours. Sun is out now but need to wear a light jacket. Friday is was sunny but very cold winds & once you were out of sheltered area you nearly got blown away.

Off to catch up on other posts now :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Lizzieh wrote:Sorry if my presence here is a bit intermittent. It is purely because my wi-fi is also intermittent and I can only get on line every now and then (I think the wind has to be in the right direction!!)
One of the joys of living in a rural part of Cornwall!
I've been intermittent, too, due to work. Whether internet access or real life in other ways, it's a pest! :tantrum: