QuirkyK's WIP on a HAED Merlin and Arthur...

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

quirkyk

Re: QuirkyK's WIP on a HAED Merlin and Arthur...

Post by quirkyk »

Hey amanda! And I second that, what are you working on??? As for the Gridding...I'm not so sure the little squares would be worth it (as I'm parking so I know where I'm at as well as I mark off the stitches as I do them!)...I was so anxious to get started I did the full page and skipped the little inside boxes..and it took FOREVER to begin! Not only starting all the new colors but fighting the needle coming up or down anywhere it was next to the gridding I'd done...I worked on it for ohh...about 5 hours...and I swear it doesn't look like much...but I have a LOOONG way to go...so...I swear a picture is forthcoming guys my camera and computer both have been acting up...Add in that I have had 2 b-days to plan for on top of my little one starting school next week...it has been kinda nuts! I noted on the HAED board that many people kept track of how much stitching they could do in an hour..and the time spent total on a piece...well...based off my performance so far...I think I'm just gonna SO NOT do that or I'll just depress myself every time! I got about 165 stitches done so that equates to a whopping 33 stitches an hour! OUCH! I may wait till i'm a little farther and check it again but I think I'm gonna avoid it for a while :) (the keeping tabs of my stitches per hour not the actual stitching!) Well I'm off to do some work at the dayjob...and I'll snap a picture tonight and see if I can get it up! Catch you all later!
Namaste,
QuirkyK
AnimaValida

Post by AnimaValida »

I'm starting Heart of the World http://www.heavenandearthdesigns.com/in ... ts_id=1429 for now... I'm going a little overboard with the gridding (2 over, 2 under 10x10 squares) and yes, it took me hours to get the first couple pages gridded... Here's hoping its worth it. But with such a high thread count, I figured better safe than sorry... that and I HATE frogging... anything I can do to avoid it is worth it to me. AND I'm removing the background as I go and I think that the grid will help...
Amanda
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Gosh, even without the background that is going to be a challenge -- good luck, and don't forget to set up a thread in the SAL section so we can enjoy your progress!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
quirkyk

Post by quirkyk »

AnimaValida wrote:I'm starting Heart of the World http://www.heavenandearthdesigns.com/in ... ts_id=1429 for now... I'm going a little overboard with the gridding (2 over, 2 under 10x10 squares) and yes, it took me hours to get the first couple pages gridded... Here's hoping its worth it. But with such a high thread count, I figured better safe than sorry... that and I HATE frogging... anything I can do to avoid it is worth it to me. AND I'm removing the background as I go and I think that the grid will help...

OHHHHHHH I soooo love that pattern!! it is in my wishlist! And wow taking out the background...yeah I think if I were doing that I would do the gridding and def. start a WIP thread! I'd love to see your work on this piece!!! I didn't have so much of a problem with taking the time with the gridding as much as I've had a problem with fighting it while stitching but good luck! And I don't believe I've EVER met anyone that likes :ribbit: :ribbit: !!!! And heads up if you are doing it on 25 count fabric...it is near impossible to frog it anyway! I tried it on my practice fabric just to see and yeah well all i can say is if I screw up on this one...it will just be left and worked around!
Namaste,
QuirkyK
AnimaValida

Post by AnimaValida »

That's encouraging! I've never used Lugana before so I'm looking forward to getting more familiar with it... What stitches are you using? I'm planning on 2x1 tent stitches...
Amanda
agi

Post by agi »

Amanda, what a beautiful project to start! Good luck with it!
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Hi Amanda. What a beautiful HAED Heart of the World is. I have an HAED in my to do box...

And quirky, I'm with you! No counting stitches per hour in this house. That way madness lies. :shock: :doh:
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

What a lovely pattern Amanda, cant wait to see ur pics of progress.
quirkyk

Post by quirkyk »

Amanda I did a few test blocks to figure out what stitches I was going to do and went with 1 over 1 full x...I tried the 2 over 1 tent but one didn't really like the tent and the 2 threads going through those little holes became more difficult that I felt like dealing with each stitch after I got to where there would end up being 4 threads through the holes (past line one :)) And it sucked that I actually liked the full better just because I'm sure the tent stitch would make it go much faster...but oh well :) While I'm at it tonight I'll put up a picture of my test piece for you to see as well as my progress :)
Namaste,
QuirkyK
AnimaValida

Post by AnimaValida »

:dance: Can't wait to see it! I'll try to start a SAL thread tonight so you guys can see my obssessive gridding... :roll: If I can figure out how to post pictures...
Amanda
Rose

Post by Rose »

Heart of the world is beautiful. Can't wait to see it in a SAL thread.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
quirkyk

Post by quirkyk »

Ok Everyone...here are the quick pics I took this evening of my begining start :) I took one of the whole frame and left my size 8 1/2 foot in the picture to give you an idea of scale...and then I have what little I accomplished with the quarter for scale :) Forgive the quality! used the cheap point and shoot camera...my baby still wasn't working so it's all I have for now (and actually it is my mothers :)) Here goes...AND NO LAUGHING!!!! I know it is puny!!! :wink:

Namaste,
QuirkyK
Pengwenn

Post by Pengwenn »

That's a great start. Is that 25 count fabric? I can see the holes (on the close up). I really want to do a HAED next but I'm afraid I won't be able to see the holes with my eyes.

Maybe you should have used a 2008 quarter and if you don't finish it this year you could use a 2009 quarter for your pictures next year . . . and the next year . . . and so on so you'd have a visual reference of how long it takes you to finish the project. How long do you think it will take you?

How do you like the parking method? For those that use it does the threads on the top every get in the way of the thread that you're currently using?
current project rotation:
Twilight Balloon Flight
The Accolade
Faces of Faery 89
Dad's Flower Pot
quirkyk

Post by quirkyk »

PennWenn...

Yes it is 25 count...and I can see the holes while looking at it but to work on it for any length of time the Magnifying glass I have comes in VERY VERY HANDY!!

I love the idea of the quarters! I'll have to hunt for a 2008 one :) But as a back up the program I use to download my picture actually keeps track of the date the picture was taken so I can figure it out if I really wanted to :)

As for how long it is gonna take...hmmm...the whole piece is roughly 197,200 stitches so at the rate I've done so far that means I'll be stitching for about 1,195 hours!! So...umm....if I work on it about 6 hours worth a week then...that is 199 weeks..oh just 5 years!! I think I need to do more than that 6 hours a week!! So...needless to say, FOREVER!!!

But I have no doubt that it will be worth every bit of time!! I just really really can't think about it or I might cry!!!

So on that note I'm off to bed to dream of my finished HAED :wub: :wub:
Namaste,
QuirkyK
charmagne_capalad

Post by charmagne_capalad »

Such a great start, quirkyk! :applesauce: ...and wow! it's really HUGE! :shock: I know in my heart I can't do something like this...I admire you for taking the plunge! :applesauce: :) I would really love to see your every progress... :wub:

...and Amanda...I love your project, too! It's such a lovely pattern! I admire you also for doing a HAED! :applesauce: I'll look forward to seeing your progress in the SAL thread. :)
charmagne
"As we count our stitches...let us not forget to count our blessings..."
@mayneideas on instagram
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Oh my!! That looks massive, no doubt about it. I think you are SO brave.
For me, it's the bravery of not starting from the middle either on these HAEDS. I just think you are so brave!! It might take alot of hours, but boy is it going to be amazing when it's finished!
Going to enjoy watching your progress and seeing this grow.
:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:

*Wonders if she can afford to buy 5 years of chocolate stash to keep her company while she watches* :thinks:

:lol: :lol:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

You've made a start, well done :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: ! It must look very daunting :shock: but perhaps you can "split it up" for yourself into manageable bits, like looking forward to having done half a page?
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
mags

Post by mags »

Oh my, that is BIG :shock:
Just love the design, and I will be :applesauce: from the sidelines.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

*stares open-mouthed in awe*

I'm going to have to live this vicariously through you as I don't think - no, I know - I would never have the patience or sticking power to complete a HAED, regardless of how stunning they are.

Good luck!!

Slinky X
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~

WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
quirkyk

Post by quirkyk »

~threadbear~ wrote: *Wonders if she can afford to buy 5 years of chocolate stash to keep her company while she watches* :thinks:

:lol: :lol:
:lol: I think I'm game for buying stock in a chocolate company...at my rate...I make some money on it since I'm going to be buying so much myself!!!!!

And thanks everyone for the nudge of well wishes! I will get through it...and yeah I'm definitely going to be congratulating myself on 1/2 pages :) For that matter I think I'll congratulate myself on getting ANY done :)
Namaste,
QuirkyK