Parking: Is it me, or is the technique REALLY slow?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Allyn

Re: Parking: Is it me, or is the technique REALLY slow?

Post by Allyn »

richardandtracy wrote:'bologna'? What's that? Some type of smoked ham? Never come across the term.
It's a smoked sausage deli meat, usually mixed meat -- beef, veal and pork, sometimes turkey. A bologna and cheese sandwich is a "classic" kid's lunch. Personally, I like it fried and the cheese melted. :)
richardandtracy wrote: ... What .. a .. revelation. It is so much easier. As of now, a stand is an absolute must have item....
Told ya. :) We've been telling you for over a year that you need a stand. Yes, you are serious about stitching. Own it!

WIP
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I realise you have been telling me. I am either very stubborn, very stupid, or both. However, I don't want to hear which you think I am :thinks:

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

richardandtracy wrote:I realise you have been telling me. I am either very stubborn, very stupid, or both. However, I don't want to hear which you think I am :thinks:
Oh, neither of those, hun. How could you even think that? Other words come to mind. . .like "awesome". Who has the thesaurus today?

WIP
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Creative? Code Warrior?
fccs

Post by fccs »

Allyn wrote:We've been telling you for over a year that you need a stand. Yes, you are serious about stitching. Own it!
Yep!

P.S. fried bologna (with nice crispy edges) - yum - sometimes it actually makes it onto the bread. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

fccs wrote:
Allyn wrote:We've been telling you for over a year that you need a stand. Yes, you are serious about stitching. Own it!
Yep!

P.S. fried bologna (with nice crispy edges) - yum - sometimes it actually makes it onto the bread. :-)
I agree.

P.S.S. On of my husband's favorite breakfasts was a fried egg and bologna sandwich. Yummy!

Carole
:lol:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

rcperryls wrote: ...P.S.S. On of my husband's favorite breakfasts was a fried egg and bologna sandwich. Yummy!

:::gasps::: With the yoke a little runny? OMG :::puts bologna on my grocery list:::

(usually pronounced "ba·lo·ney" \bə-ˈlō-nē\)

WIP
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Allyn wrote:
rcperryls wrote: ...P.S.S. On of my husband's favorite breakfasts was a fried egg and bologna sandwich. Yummy!

:::gasps::: With the yoke a little runny? OMG :::puts bologna on my grocery list:::

(usually pronounced "ba·lo·ney" \bə-ˈlō-nē\)
absolutely. Sooooooo good. and yes baloney is what I have always thought was the proper pronunciation!

Carole
:whoop:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

rcperryls wrote:
Allyn wrote:(usually pronounced "ba·lo·ney" \bə-ˈlō-nē\)
absolutely. Sooooooo good. and yes baloney is what I have always thought was the proper pronunciation!
For the lunchmeat, absolutely. I always pronounced it same as the kid in the commercial I linked; but if you listen to the announcer near the end, he pronounces it "ba·lo·nuh" \bə-ˈlō-nə\ closer to (but not exactly) like the city in Italy.

I'm sorry, Richard. We hijacked your thread with lunchmeat. I'll go eat now. :wink:

WIP
RosemaryD

Post by RosemaryD »

Bit late to this, and not sure I am really qualified to be giving advice, but just in case anything helps here is what I do. My current Golden Kite project has 200 colours, 80 solid and 120 blends and I do still park.

I make a set of card organisers from cereal boxes for each project with all the solid colours (including those not used in blends) grouped separately from the blends. I cut lengths from the original skeins as required, measuring them against a piece of string cut to the length I like to stitch with to make sure blends will be the same length, and pull individual strands using the method in the blog linked by Serinde. I do use slightly shorter lengths than you have mentioned, I know it's more wasteful but less tangling and fraying of ends seems to happen. If I can see there's going to be a lot of one blend I'll make up several lengths at one time, otherwise just as needed.

I tend to thread needles for several upcoming colours at the same time and stick them in the edge of the fabric in the order I'm going to use them, so there will be a period of thread preparation then some uninterrupted stitching, then more thread prep, stitching, etc which might save a few seconds here and there. Also gets quicker as I learn symbols/colours and where they are in the cards, meaning I rarely have to look up a symbol after a while (not intentional, brain just works that way).

I don't unthread needles unless I run out, although I fully understand that you don't want to risk stray needles finding their way into various parts of cats. I know there is a needle on my floor somewhere at the moment for which I have spent a long time looking. It would take me twice as long if I unthreaded/rethreaded every time though, and I do think this is probably the single biggest time-saver for me. Allyn mentioned magnets - maybe you could find a really strong one to keep them in check (the needles, that is, not the cats)?

I start and finish on the front without using waste knots which I find much neater and easier than trying to force the needle through the back of a dense area to start/finish as I would have to do if I stitched cross-country, and quicker as no flipping is required. This was my main reason for switching to parking when I started large projects - just hated the lumps I was creating on the back and felt it gave a more even result on the front as well. I do tend to use high-count fabrics and dense stitching though, might be less of an issue with lower counts and tenting. I also don't mark my chart which may save a few seconds, but I do work in columns which helps me keep my place although probably isn't the most efficient way and runs the risk of creating vertical lines.

I use an 11"x11" Q-snap frame, haven't tried a stand mainly due to lack of space and not liking to spend money but haven't really felt the need for one yet, although I'm starting to think I might be missing something given the praise for them on here. I'm sure with your skills you can adapt something to fit the purpose, or at least build something out of cheap materials.

There is no escaping the fact that increased colours, particularly blends, slows progress whatever technique you use. At the moment I stitch all my projects full cross and on areas of single or few solid colours on my single strand projects I can manage over 200 stitches per hour, but on confetti-dense areas of blended projects like the Turquoise Sea I'm lucky to manage 100, probably nearer 60-70 in really bad areas.

I still have a love-hate relationship with blending: love the result, hate the added hassle and reduced speed, which is one reason why I have more than one project on the go - would certainly stop enjoying stitching if I worked solidly on Turquoise Sea for the next year! I have had to learn to accept a slower work-rate and remember to enjoy the process as much as the result.

That's more a description (or essay, actually, sorry) of what I do than any helpful tips - I think anything useful has probably already been said by others. In the end, if it doesn't work for you, go back to what does.

Best of luck! :)
Rosemary

WIPs
Blue Moon - Andy Russell
The Shore of the Turquoise Sea - Albert Bierstadt
Arabian Walled Garden - Chatelaine
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Thank you all for your replies. I will try to reply properly once I have thought about it and, more importantly have a proper keyboard... On an oversized pill at the moment & it's all a bit hard to swallow.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

RosemaryD wrote: ...I start and finish on the front without using waste knots which I find much neater and easier than trying to force the needle through the back of a dense area to start/finish as I would have to do if I stitched cross-country, and quicker as no flipping is required. ...
Clarify something for me. You said you don't use waste knots because you don't want to flip, don't want lumps and don't want to force the needle through dense areas. When using waste knots, I do start and end on the front so no flipping, and the waste knot is clipped off so it doesn't create lumps or dense areas. Am I missing something?

WIP
RosemaryD

Post by RosemaryD »

Allyn wrote:
RosemaryD wrote: ...I start and finish on the front without using waste knots which I find much neater and easier than trying to force the needle through the back of a dense area to start/finish as I would have to do if I stitched cross-country, and quicker as no flipping is required. ...
Clarify something for me. You said you don't use waste knots because you don't want to flip, don't want lumps and don't want to force the needle through dense areas. When using waste knots, I do start and end on the front so no flipping, and the waste knot is clipped off so it doesn't create lumps or dense areas. Am I missing something?
That was indeed a completely mangled sentence - I meant that I start/finish on the front to avoid flipping as you say. I don't use waste knots just because I've never found them necessary, I'm just careful to anchor with the first stitch. Lumpy backs unrelated - I park rather than x-country to improve this. Sorry for confusion.
Rosemary

WIPs
Blue Moon - Andy Russell
The Shore of the Turquoise Sea - Albert Bierstadt
Arabian Walled Garden - Chatelaine
KaraMuro

Post by KaraMuro »

richardandtracy wrote:I did persist last night. Not to a great deal of success, but when thinking about how long operations took as I did them, a number of things did come to my attention as taking up a significant amount of time:
  1. As I went from colour to colour, I had to put the frame down. Somewhere safe so it didn't fall over out of reach or onto a cat (as they seem to infest the house).
  2. Picking up the chart & finding my place.
  3. Unscrewing the cap of my fountain pen to mark the chart, and doing it back up again.
  4. Finding my scissors (in theory I always put them back in the same place, unfortunately the 'theory' is just that).
So..
Time spent putting the frame down, really indicates that a stand is needed. I have been reluctant in the past to have one as it smacks of being a bit 'geeky'. No maybe that's the wrong word. 'Committed' may be more appropriate in this case. An unwillingness to admit that actually I'm pretty serious about stitching. And it's a bit of an invasion of the living room. Generally my 'stuff' is outside, and family 'stuff' is inside and I don't want to add my clutter inside. Don't think I can easily implement many of the suggestions without a stand of some sort, though.
Picking up the chart: Obviously I need it in my line of sight on the work, resting on it or supported next to it.
Unscrewing the cap of the fountain pen. :oops: This strongly hints at the fact I should use a different type writing implement. ANATHEMA! Let me explain. I was asked to be a moderator on the 'Fountain Pen Network' because I am a bit passionate about them, love using them an have collected one or two hundred. The instruments can be so expressive and refined - what other manufactured article can still be totally usable more than 100 years after being made? I hate using bic sticks or ball point instruments of any sort and don't actually own any. They are horrible to write with and it's like consorting with the devil to use one. Well, maybe not that bad, but I have a great deal of prejudice to get over to even use one. And to have to admit they may be better in this application... Urrgh.
Scissors: I wish I had a tidy mind. And could put theory into practice. I will try harder.

Cairee and Allyn, I note and understand your comments, particularly about thread organisation and management etc. Implementation of such ideas is another thing. I shall have to think on it.

Regards,

Richard.
*sticks a pile of moderately expensive colored pencils near Richard* ;> There! Less uncapping. ;>

If you get the right stand, you can pretty much hide it when you're not using it. My Lowery could fit behind a end table / couch end if I ever bother moving it. :>

Also magnet needle minders could hold small scissors if they're strong enough. Or go the scissors on a necklace/leash could work.
cairee

Post by cairee »

Thought of another of my time savers, Needle organisers!

I use a pako organiser, but I have seen other people use foam with the symols taped on and just stick the needle in the foam, a less costly version.
with this I dont unthread the needle if I clip off a usable lenght of thread, I just stick the needle in its spot already threaded for the next time that color is used.
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
annastasia76

Post by annastasia76 »

I'm not going to give a huge complex explanation but you are just starting the section/row, once all the colors are threaded it goes much faster, also try the pin head stitch instead of knotting when starting and ending, much faster and (so far) I havn't had any troubles with it. I do remove my needle after each stitch, I tried leaving the needles on but it became too much of a mess. also, I like the idea of having the needle as a laying tool attached to the fabric, I'm gonna have to try that, but I tend to use my working needle as a laying tool rather than and separate needle or laying tool, that being said I work in hand, I just roll up the excess fabric on each side and have only the area I'm currently working on exposed (kind of like a scroll)
ZlayaKoshka

Post by ZlayaKoshka »

Wow. I've never tried parking so this post has been very, very educational. Thank you for starting the topic, Richard! :)
--
Maria

My free cross stitch designs -- http://www.happy-stitch.net/categories/stitch-patterns/" target="_blank

2015 Finishes
Mini trees postcard
Stitching out Stigma square

WIP
Cats in the Kitchen, Janlynn crafts (UFO)
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

I tried parking and it wasn't for me, it slowed me down a lot. I tend to cross country stitch.
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)