Review sites you've ordered from

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Allyn

Re: Review sites you've ordered from

Post by Allyn »

TheOtherDrew wrote: That's nothing, their largest kit is over 6 meters long! (its of a famous Chinese panorama painting called: Along the river at the Quingming festival). Even that one's a fairly reasonable price considering the size of it.
Size doesn't really mean much without a stitch count or at least a fabric count. If that's six meters long on 14-count, the same design would be nine meters on 9-count, but only three meters on 28-count. It's still the same number of stitches. :)

Edit: It's on 11-ct. No wonder it's so big. It looks like they have a lot of sofa-size cross-stitch designs, but they're stamped on 11-count -- not really what I'd want on my walls. :( .

WIP
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Rosheen wrote:The first and certainly the last time that I ordered from SewingCafe.
Hi Rosheen, I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience. It surprises me, because Shelley who runs it is (was?) a member here, and the few times I've dealt with her (over some kits of mine which she displayed at the Knitting & Stitching Show) she was very helpful.

I just remembered her name here was SewingCafe as well, I checked the members list but it seems she hasn't logged in since 2012; that doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't drop in and read things, but it seems unlikely that a PM would reach her :-(

Does anyone else know a bit more about what Shelley's whereabouts or how Rosheen could contact her?
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Rosheen

Post by Rosheen »

Mabel Figworthy wrote: Hi Rosheen, I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience. It surprises me, because Shelley who runs it is (was?) a member here, and the few times I've dealt with her (over some kits of mine which she displayed at the Knitting & Stitching Show) she was very helpful.

I just remembered her name here was SewingCafe as well, I checked the members list but it seems she hasn't logged in since 2012; that doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't drop in and read things, but it seems unlikely that a PM would reach her :-(

Does anyone else know a bit more about what Shelley's whereabouts or how Rosheen could contact her?
Hi Mabel,

Their website is still down and still displaying that same message. It was Shelley who sent me the order update on 20. Octobre and that was the last I heard from SewingCafe.
Thank you for offering the idea, I didn't know she has an account here. I will certainly try to reach her via PM.

Love,
Hilde
Love,
Hilde

=====================================================================
cairee

Post by cairee »

I ordered a Judy Dixon pattern from Nordic Needle, they had the requried threads listed, so I ordered those too.
when it arrived I found that the threads they sent were not the same as the ones listed in the pattern, but similar (sort of, one was supposed to be pearl silk, I got pearl cotton) ones that Nordic Needle carried. there was nothing mentioned on the website that the threads were substitutes.
on top of this, one color was backordered, so they said they would send it later at no extra charge, fairly standard from my online shopping experience. when they did send it they charged me shipping! contacting them resolved nothing at all.
I am not happy with NN and will not be buying from them again.
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Is it worth contacting your credit card provider/ Paypal to get a charge back? As far as you are concerned your relationship with NN is over, so irritating them further can't make it worse, and you may get the money back.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I can't remember hearing something like that from Nordic Needle before. I hope it isn't an indication of future problems. I don't order from them often but enough to be surprised. Sometimes I wonder if some of the online suppliers get overwhelmed when business picks up as more and more LNS close and the big craft stores are generally very poor in maintaining stitching supplies. I would absolutely contact them and let them know how disappointed you are with the order. I think not stating that the threads provided are not the ones the pattern calls for is almost false advertising. That should be clearly stated so that you can make the choice yourself.

Carole
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Little Wicken

Post by Little Wicken »

Hi,

Late to the discussion, but I thought I mention my experiences of resent:

Sew and So - they are great and the shipping is super fast - great selection as well

Patchwork Rabbit - great selection of charts especially if you like the primitive styles and best price for GAS threads I found. Great fabric and thread selection as well and super fast delivery for almost no charge. I ordered from them yesterday and they ran out of one of the threads - I got an email straight away with an apology and offer of either waiting and it being posted later or refund. I found them very accommodating all the time. :dance:

Polstitches - Jo is great in coming back with postage prices as they might be a little intimidating on the website. Great fabric as well. Love my opalescent linen for Gigi from Mirabillia.

Jodyri Designs - I asked Michelle's advise on the fabric colour for her RED kit and she was more than helpful and even sent me a picture of the fabric once it was ready to ship with the threads from the kit so I can see the finished colour effect. The fabric took a little while, but it is hand dyed to order, so no complaints there. Customer service was great and I love the linen.

These are just 4 out of the few I used up to now, but I will definitely come back to them again. In fact, I will need to stop for a little while and concentrate on my WIPs and future plans.
Little Wicken

WIPs
Emerald from Scarlet Quince
Gothic Girl from HAED
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

I have good experience with 123Stitch.com. Very good customer service and prices. Otherwise I go to my local hobby stores such as: A.C. Moore and Michaels. :)
CatDetective

Post by CatDetective »

One of the only places I've ordered from was a little one-person shop that's since closed down... which is a shame, because I'd had such a lovely experience with them.

sublimestitching.com though, I really love-- it's for embroidery, for the most part, but it's where I got my Q-snap frame and my favorite thread scissors, as well as some floss that I really liked. It's a nice shop if you do various needework-related crafts.
stitchhappy18

Post by stitchhappy18 »

I found a new to me stitching website.

https://www.downsunshinelane.com/

She has mostly patterns and tons of adorable needle minders. I was very pleasantly surprised with the speed of the delivery. I ordered a pattern and a needle minder on Friday night and by 7:30 Saturday morning I had a shipping notice and it was in my mail box Monday evening. I will definitely order from her again. She does periodically have flash sales so if you sign up for her email list you will be notified.
Lisa

Current WIPS:
PSS 12 Days of Christmas
FPS Trick or Treat
Mary Hickmott - Barn Owl
Fleur de Lys Tree
FPS National Parks

2016 Finishes

Filigree Heart
Damask Square
Wash & Pray
Finch
Needleworker
Spooked!
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Some of us are Knitters as well as Stitchers, so I just have to pass this site on.

http://www.woolwarehouse.co.uk/" target="_blank

They have some really good prices, they keep their customers informed, answer queries really quickly and postage is at a realistic amount too!
I love the DROPS wools. :wub: There's also a sister site which has FREE knitting patterns!! :dance:

http://www.garnstudio.com/home.php?cid=19" target="_blank

Also they send out the wool in rather nice fabric bags (inside the usual robust postage sacs) which are re-usable.

:stars: :stars: :stars: :stars:
PattyMac

Post by PattyMac »

LadyGisburne wrote:Hi all :D

Just a quick update: I received my order from Gvellostitch.com and am absolutely delighted. It came well wrapped and arrived very quickly from Canada. And I paid more than £25 less than the lowest UK price. Will definitely be ordering from them again... :whoop: :dance: :tizzy:
How could you?? I have now discovered this site and am hooked. I put four things in my wish list already and am ready to commit!! It's not like I don't already have enough to stitch..... :wink:
- Pat
isaacson72

Post by isaacson72 »

I'm new to this site as of this morning (still can't believe there is a whole huge community of people just like me out there!) and just wanted to say my husband thanks you all for all these new website ideas. :lol: I have now wasted an hour looking at all these stitching sites I'd never heard of and my wish list is now gigantic.

Sites I normally use are the obvious ones - leisure arts, everythingcrossstitch, 123stitch.com. I'm also a fan of amazon - if I find something at another site, I'll usually check amazon for that exact item so I can use the prime shipping. I've also bookmarked a few patterns at Scarlet Quince but I have been focusing on smaller patterns - mason jar lids, bookmarks, etc. I really like finishing a project within a week or so! So far I've had good experiences with all sites. One time I got a coupon code for Leisure Arts that wouldn't work on their site, that was frustrating, but otherwise I've never had any issues with them. I've emailed their customer service department as well and got a quick response.

Glad I'm working at home today, so I can drool over all these new sites you guys are discussing!!!

-Michelle
Michelle
:ratherbe:

WIP: HAED Candlestick Man (ornament)
WIP: various, never-ending, mason jar lids
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

One of the advantages, or disadvantages depending on your point of view, is the list of new places, threads, fabrics, patterns, techniques (I would never have gone near Hardanger designs if not for this forum or tried so many lovely threads besides DMC. And of course there are lots and lots of friends to be made all over the world. For years I also was the only one I knew who cross stitched. One friend sews and used to do a lot of smocking when her children were small. I think you will really love it here!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
isaacson72

Post by isaacson72 »

I've already noticed a handful of stitching terms you guys have used that I didn't recognize! I had a good time last week googling so many new sites & new ideas. The problem will be staying away from the site while I'm at work, because I get sidetracked & then all I can think about is stitching and I want to get home and stitch! Failed today, here it is 2:30 and I'm already sidetracked.
Michelle

Roland

Post by Roland »

Does anyone have suggestions for sites to download cross stitch patterns?

I do not want HAED, bit to detailed for right now.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

There are lots of websites that provide downloadable patterns, which are pretty much the only ones I get now. And they do go from the most complex/detailed to ones that are smaller and not filled with a lot of confetti and are usually a lot of fun to stitch, also. I think doing a search on "cross stitch patterns downloads" will provide you with more than you could even want. Or if you are looking for a particular subject, just add that to your search terms. A few that I know of, besides HAED, are Kooler Design Studio, Jiffy Pattern Shop and weelittlestitches. There are lots more everyday. Hope this helps get you started.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Roland

Post by Roland »

Thanks Carol.

Someone asked me to make a stocking. She's paying for the supplies.

So far she doesn't like any of the patterns I have, or the downloadable ones at Kooler. The only one she likes would have to be ordered as a kit, which I HATE doing. But it requires various sizes and colours of beads, so cheaper to order as a kit.

The Jiffy Pattern link you posted does have a series my sister was trying to find. I've forwarded her the link. And I thank you from her too. :D
isaacson72

Post by isaacson72 »

Roland wrote:Does anyone have suggestions for sites to download cross stitch patterns?

I do not want HAED, bit to detailed for right now.
I've ordered quite a few from everythingcrossstitch.com that I've downloaded. They've got a large selection of patterns.
Edit to add: you can also download a large selection at Leisure Arts. leisurearts.com
Michelle

Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

The site I use most often is called Stitcher.

http://www.stitcher.co.uk/" target="_blank

They're super fast with delivery, very reasonably priced and have a great selection of items ;)

Another one I've used recently is called Hixxysoft (also a seller on Ebay)

https://hixxysoft.com/" target="_blank

It's not a dedicated cross stitch website but they do sell some kits. I've bought my Wrendale Designs from here as they were the cheapest around.
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'