Lani's Stitching

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

jturner687

Lani's Stitching

Post by jturner687 »

Ok, everyone, I am finally getting around to posting a photo of my current project. Honestly, I'd probably call this my first real project. I've done one or two very small things in the past but this is my first in a very long time, my first since joining this forum, and it has started me on a "what's my next project" frenzy (in other words, I've already begun spending too much money on stash :oops: )

Anyway, this is a Dimensions kit I picked up at my local craft store. You can see the church now and I am working on the flower border around the bottom now. There will also be a scripture quote at the top when it's all said and done. Quite a bit of little details, back stitching, and french knots (help?) left to go. I plan to frame it for a dear friend as a Christmas gift.

-Lani

Arianwen

Re: Lani's Stitching

Post by Arianwen »

What a lovely picture - I'm sure your fried will love it and appreciate the time and effort you have put in to such a thoughtful gift.

As to the french knots they are really easy when you get the hang of them. I'd recommend practising them on a spare bit of aida before putting them on the real piece.

Bring your needle up where the french knot needs to be - this might mean splitting the weave of the aida (like when you do a 3quarter stitch. Keep your thread taut but dont pull too tight. Wrap the thread around your needle 2 or 3 times (it will tell you in the instructions how many to do). Without altering the tension, put your needle back through the fabric just to the side of where you came up last time - make sure at least 1 'strand' of the fabric separates where you come up and where you come down. Gently pull the needle through while keeping the tension even and your knot should sit nicely on your fabric.

They can be quite tricky and a lot of people find colonial knots easier. For me I prefer these and the key is tension - it took me years to be able to get them right - because I didn't practice enough

Good Luck!
Current WIP's

HAED What Lies beneath Dakota Daetwiler
Disney Dreams The little mermaid / Fantasia by MCG textiles/Thomas kinkade

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
Heather Mulberry Silk in 'Gladys
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Your friend will love this. It is going to be lovely!
Arianwen wrote:Without altering the tension, put your needle back through the fabric just to the side of where you came up last time - make sure at least 1 'strand' of the fabric separates where you come up and where you come down. Gently pull the needle through while keeping the tension even and your knot should sit nicely on your fabric.

This was something I didn't know until I participated in Mabel's SAL a year ago. I thought you were supposed to go back down through the same hole you went up and my French knots were never consistent and only looked right occasionally. Mine still aren't perfect but soooooo much better than they used to be. And practice is important too. I still do a few practice knots before stitching them on my fabric.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

What a lovely little picture that is and so beautifully stitched too. Well Done. I am sure you will master French knots in no time at all. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
StitchinWitch

Post by StitchinWitch »

That's looking beautiful!

We all spend a bit on our stashes - but that's ok. :) There are way worse things to spend money on. Stitching gives us all hours of pleasure.

You'll be an expert in French knots. Mine aren't perfect, but again, that's ok.
AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

What a nice little stitching piece. I can't wait to see more updates. :D
AlwaysGoofy's Blog with Cross Stitching, Quilting, and My Love of All Things Disney: http://goofinoffaroundtheblock.blogspot.com/
fccs

Post by fccs »

Very pretty start - I'm looking forward to more updates.

As for French knots - I almost always substitute a Colonial knot. The effect is the same, but for some reason the Colonials are easier for me.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

What a pretty picture you are stitching, your friend will love it. As for French knots, I should have practised first for my Geisha picture & intend doing that on spare bits of Aida. I forgot about the Colonial knot. I have heard about it but as I mentioned in my stitch along, my French Knots became Welsh Whirls! :lol: Look forward to seeing this pretty picture when completed. :applesauce: :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them