attaching two pieces of Aida?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

laurabirdd

attaching two pieces of Aida?

Post by laurabirdd »

Hi!
I'm starting a very large (long) project- 12" by 60"- (31 cm by 152 cm) and would like to split it in half so I don't have a long tail of fabric (and so it doesn't cost quite as much). Has anyone ever stitched two pieces of Aida together within a project? Is this even possible? I'm thinking of just laying one over the other and stitching through both. Would the seam be ridiculously noticeable? Any other advice? Thank you so much for your help!

Laura
rcperryls

Re: attaching two pieces of Aida?

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hi Laura and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! Sounds like that is a looooong project (I hope you will post pictures for us to see). I have done some big projects but never one design that is 5 feet long. I think the afghans I've worked on atr 54" be 60" but they have all different size designs on them. I don't stitch on aida cloth so am no help to you there, but I'm sure that one of our forum members will know if what you want to do is possible and how to best go about doing it. I hope you don't mind my asking what the project is. We are always interested in what each other is stitching.

Carole
:D

eta: What size fabric are you planning on using? Depending on the count, the size could be more or less than 12" x 60". I will delete your second post. The reason the first one didn't show up is that the first post a member makes must be approved by one of the moderators. Don't worry about it. Sometimes one of us will click submit twice and have a duplicate post show up also. But this way you won't have responses that are in two different places. You can also subscribe to a particular thread if you want to be notified when someone replies. I find that to be a very useful tool when I've asked a question or when I've posted an update of one of my projects and am curious what members think of it.
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Scarlet Quince has a tutorial on joining two pieces of fabric:
http://www.scarletquince.com/joining.php" target="_blank

Someone here did something similar to the tutorial process, but overlapped the fabric and stitch through the holes to secure the two pieces together. It would be easier to do that with aida than an evenweave or linen. I would prefer to have one whole piece of fabric for the ease of not having to stress over joining the pieces, and because I use a scroll frame, rolling the fabric up onto the rod solves the problem.

And welcome to the forum. :)

(Edited for atrocious fat-finger spelling mishap)
Last edited by Allyn on Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

WIP
fccs

Post by fccs »

If you can overcome the cost issue, you could do as Allyn suggested by using a scroll frame, or you can just roll the excess (bottom and/or top) and use a quilters clip or similar to hold it. I'm curious what the project is.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
laurabirdd

Post by laurabirdd »

Thank you so much, everybody! I'll definitely take a look at that tutorial. :) The project is a commissioned pattern of the Diagon Alley painting from the Illustrated Harry Potter. It took a while to make it what I wanted, but at 1' by 5', 18 count, and 150 colors, I have a good start. I know there are some things I will change about the pattern as I go (using half stitches for the sky, ignoring any colors that are only used for one block, etc) but it's a fabulous jumping off point, especially for $8.50! Thanks again for all your help and warm welcomes! I have to admit I was sucked in for quite a while, learning about grime guards and other large-project things (this is my first large project and I fully expect it to last forever as I'm definitely a hobbyist). Any other advice would be great, if you're in the mood! Thanks again!
Laura
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

That sounds like a fascinating project and hope that you will post pictures for us to see as you stitch this! And if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker