Please help, strange black smudges??

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

caz78

Please help, strange black smudges??

Post by caz78 »

Hi all,

Wow, it's been a long time since I was last here, too busy stitching :D

I have a weird problem that is making stitching very stressful for me and I desperately need help and advice!

I have this strange black smudges appearing on my work and they won't come out with a damp cloth because it seems to be ground into the thread or fabric.

I will try and explain as I doubt my camera would pick it up. My work starts out clean but after a few weeks I start to notice these ashy like smudges that don't brush off. Almost as if they are oily. I don't smoke anymore but they look like tiny flecks of ash rubbed into the fabric or thread. All the ones on the thread are in the centre hole where stitches are surrounding it on all sides.

x.x
x x kind of like that, but central, you know what I mean...

Or dotted around the area where I stick my needles in the fabric when I'm rethreading etc.

It's only visible on the lighter coloured stitches.

My possible theories....

Thread heaven? I use it on all my threads. It's a new block though, so not dirty. Could the waxy coating be attracting dust ad leaving black marks? The manufacturers state it doesn't attract dust though.

My needles? I'm using John James and as it's HAED's I stitch I have to change them regularly as they end up breaking, so my needle seems clean, although obviously will have picked up some thread heaven residue during use.

So, the smudges appear, seemingly, out of the blue. No marks at all, then all of a sudden they are scattered where I stick my needle and on stitches made previously.

When I try and wipe it off with a damp cloth it seems to spread slightly, but not com off, just like an oily residue.

I can't find anything on line where anyone else has had the same problem.

The unstitched areas look like lots of tiny flies have been squashed, and brushed off! Sorry, that's the best way I can describe it. And the stitched areas look like little bit of black glue has settled between stitches.

Any ideas on the cause? Any ideas on how to remove the marks?

Thanks for reading.
Completed April 2011 HAED Garnet QS
WIP HAED Wrath - started 14/4/2011
rcperryls

Re: Please help, strange black smudges??

Post by rcperryls »

Welcome back! I'm sorry that such a strange problem has brought you back though. I've not had that happen and wonder if you are using a different fabric that has a reaction to something in Thread Heaven that you hadn't had before? I very rarely use Thread Heaven so I can't say whether or not it is the problem. If it started with a new one though, there may be something wrong with the one you have. Is it the same brand (I think there are several different ones, but I could be wrong), a different supplier? Have you tried test stitching on another fabric both with and without the Thread Heaven? Has something changed in your environment? When something suddenly changes for seemingly no reason the first thing I check is what has changed? Have you changed soap? hand lotion?
I'm sorry I have more questions than answers. If anyone here has had a similar experience, I'm sure they will let you know how they solved it.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
caz78

Post by caz78 »

Thanks for that Carole.

I should have said, it's not a recent problem. It's since I started stitching designs with lighter colours. Been going on with every new project I have started since putting Wrath aside to get a break from all the black.

I've been having a fug lately and started a few designs and not finished them. It's happened on all of them. 3 different tubs of thread heaven, at least. I change for every project to keep it clean. One came from sew and so and one from a local shop but it happened with both. I first noticed it on a black and white project I started. Very disheartening to discover black spots appearing on already stitched areas.

Nothing changed in my environment. I think the only reason I didn't notice it before is because Wrath is mostly black lol.

Same fabric too. I always use magic guide.

I didn't have this problem with garnet but I have a feeling I perhaps hadn't started using thread heaven then. I wish I could remember.

I think all I can do is stop using it and see of the problem resolves. Process of elimination.

Very frustrating. Especially since I park now, so have dozens of threads already coated in it :roll:

When you said about something changing in my environment it made me think and I checked my magnifying lamp. Was surprised to find there is some dust in the rim around the bulb. I wonder if that's dropping down. Will give it a clean, stop using the conditioner and see how I go I think.

Thanks for your help.

Desperately trying to tell myself not to abandon this project too! It will come out in the wash... it's not that noticeable... dabbing at it with a damp cotton bud - sure it will be fine. Worst case scenario, will over stitch any obvious bits, that never seems to show, even though I always feel like it should! Yes, I cheat... only option when you have got so far into a project that it can't be frogged. :oops:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

My first suggestion would be to stop using Thread Heaven to see if that makes a difference. In truth, I only rarely use TH, and then only on unruly metallic threads, since I prefer a combination of railroading and a laying tool, and that seems to do the job.

Do you cover your work when you aren't stitching? (I have old pillowcases for the purpose, and it does help with keeping outside crud off, if that's the problem -- which it might not be.)

Don't be discouraged! The power of CSF is on the case! :king:
caz78

Post by caz78 »

Ha ha! Thanks Serinde CSF to the rescue eh!

Yep, I'm actually pretty uptight about my work. Stored in a pillowcase same as you my dear :) Great minds eh.

I store them on the frame in a white cotton pillowcase. Then I fold the flap over the top and hold together tight with clothes pegs. No dust getting in there! I use a tea towel over the bottom half of my work, held on with hair clips, that keeps the bottom half clean.

I also use a laying tool. Tbh I just use TH out of habit. I've used it for so long I can't remember NOT using it!! I did try a test bit earlier and there was a difference, the thread was definitely more 'draggy' but the stitches looked fine. In fact the more I look at my stitches the more I wonder if the TH isn't making them a bit dull....I guess i'll find out as I add more new threads in, amongst the parked ones.

I always do HAED's, 2 over 1, on 25ct. So I just followed all the hints and tips I could get my hands on, and that included TH. I struggled a bit coming up already stitched areas and the TH helped with that but now I park that isn't a problem.

All I can do is give it a go. I just hope that if there is an alteration in the appearance of the threads that it isn't too noticeable. Hubby goes mad at me cos I'm a perfectionist but I'm quickly learning you really can't be cos mistakes will ALWAYS happen :doh: I'm thinking that because the parked threads will still have some on that working in the new threads intermittently will blend in ok.

I'm really having a lull right now with stitching. Did my first few little projects with no problem. My first haed I'm still really happy with. Wrath, I learned a lot on, including emergency fixes :oops: BUT the way my stitching's going lately, I'm looking at them and thinking, how on Earth did I produce that! when I can't get even get off the ground with a new one!? Finally get started on one I really like again...and the mystery blobs follow me, typical!

I also emailed Thread Heaven to see if they could give me any advice on removing the marks. I expect they will just say it doesn't attract dirt and must be something else.

It's just driving me nuts. Every time I start something new it's like, yay! all nice and clean! All goes well for a few weeks and then the dreading marks appear. They are so random too. I've done about 5000 stitches on this one (a few weeks, I'm a slow stitcher) and they only just appeared yesterday. Same pattern with the others. All fine for a couple of weeks then suddenly they're there.

Also they are completely random. It' not where I start a new thread, it's not one specific thread that's got dirty or any one colour. Only have about 3 marks in that number of stitches, but there are loads around the edge where I poke my needle. Annoying!
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Once TH has been eliminated as the culprit (if it is), I wonder if it might be a combination of your own skin (or hand cream?) and whatever the needles are made of? Might there be a reaction? :thinks:
caz78

Post by caz78 »

Could well be! I know some people react to different metals. My sister in law turns gold green :shock:

I wish I could remember what needles I have used in the past etc.

I have given my lamp a clean, just in case. Will leave TH alone for a bit and see if the problem stops or not. I will also keep my hands super clean. If it keeps happening I think I might try a gold needle.

I did wipe the needle I have been using on some kitchen towel but there was no smudge or anything.

Definitely a process of elimination.
caz78

Post by caz78 »

I think we're narrowing things down a bit. Looks like it could well be my needles and my body chemistry.

The last project I didn't notice this problem on was 'Wrath' mostly black so, nothing to notice. Everything since, black marks. So, I dug Wrath out and lo and behold, black dots all over the unstitched area. Now, these are really small and not smudged so obviously escaped my notice. They are far more defined than my more recent smudges, just pinpricks, but definitely the same thing.

So I'm now thinking needle....hubby reckons some sort of oxidising going on and takes a while to show up. Maybe it happens when I pick my needle up after it being sat in my sewing box doing some weird chemical thing overnight, maybe when I stick it in my fabric it cleans it so I only get marks when I've used my needle minder, maybe it builds up over time then deposits in random places as I stitch.

I have no flipping idea but I did find an article about people using gold needles cos their skin tarnishes needles! I can't see any tarnish but I could well be cleaning it as I go. :?

So, I've just popped out and picked some gold ones up. It's worth a try. Fingers crossed!
mags

Post by mags »

Just a thought or two, is your needle minder magnet clean? or is it magnetising your needle and your needle is attracting muck?
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Could it be rust from the needles?
I have very acidic skin and slowly flake the plating off the needle. Possibly the TH acts as a binder to keep the flakes of rust on the fabric. Do your needles go dull grey? If they do, that is a sign of rusting, with black iron (2) oxide rather than the red iron (3) oxide.

Regards

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
caz78

Post by caz78 »

Hi,

Mags - My needle minders are brand new to this project and I had the problem before I got them. It's strange though, I had to stop using it a it just wasn't holding the needle. It kept pinging off whenever I turned my work. Such a tiny thing, I thought it would stick like glue! I ended up getting a couple of minders, thinking it was faulty but they were all the same.

Richard - I really do think it's the needle now, and sticking to the TH. But I can't see any real change in the needle but it might be just a bit duller than the ones in the packet.

I'm know I used to use gold needles and don't remember having this problem then. I just cant remember if the problem started when I changed to normal ones.

I posted this question on HAED board too and a lady has said the same thing. Coating coming off due to oils or thread heaven. She suggested Bohin needles so will get some but use gold for now.
Kathy_A

Post by Kathy_A »

If you do pick up some Bohin needles, look around online for them. A month ago, after I got frustrated with the cheap needles I was using (and breaking on a regular basis), I first looked at Amazon, where they were around $8 for six needles. I then found them at 123stitch.com for just under $3. I'm not too sure how pricey they are in the UK, but I hope you can find them at a discount!
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I get Bohin #28 needles in a 50-pack for $14 from Anita's Little Stitches. I get two packs to meet her minimum order requirement and postage is just a couple of bucks in the U.S. She has 25-packs and 50-packs. I use a lot while parking so I like having plenty on hand.

If your black marks are from the Thread Heaven (I've never used it and never will. :) ) You might try putting the project in the freezer for about half an hour and then see if you can pick off the black spots. If it is a waxy residue from the TH, freezing it might make it easier to pick (not wipe) off.

WIP
caz78

Post by caz78 »

Thanks so much all. You're superstars!
Reta

Post by Reta »

Reading through this . I think your problem is ther TH, And also the way you store your stitching. TH is moisture and can cause black mould on fabric ,Try leaving it out but covered so as air can circulate around it ,Or better still no more TH
caz78

Post by caz78 »

Yeah, it's looking like the TH isn't such a good idea after all.

I REALLY hope it isn't black mould though as I used it on my last project which is 240,000 stitches and had taken 5 years so far! :cry: Nothing on that one except tiny black dots where I poked my needle around the edge of the fabric.

I've set up an experiment where I used a new needle, so tarnishing will be out of the equation, and stitched small blocks in two light colours. One set of blocks I used thread heaven and one set I didn't. I have tucked I away uncovered, so dust CAN get at it, as if I had it out stitching all the time. I'm going to see what happens. If marks appear on the TH blocks, I have my answer. I'm also interested to see if the colours dull at all.

Thank you!
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

It hope you have found your answer but as a needle minders seller I would say that the ferrite magnets do need to be cleaned regularly (damp cloth or surgical spirit) unless they are the silver neodymium ones which are ok. Most of mine have neodymium on the top surface and ferrite on the back...

Best of luck with it! What an annoying and concerning issue to have!!

Niki x
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village