Mouselady's Stitching Update 07/17/16- A Finish!

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

mouselady

Re: Mouselady's Stitching Update 02/28/16

Post by mouselady »

wendywombat wrote:Had a thought about your Mum's sewing machine.

Did it come with an instruction manual? They are usually very easy to understand and if you sat quiet with the machine and the manual and a piece of spare fabric I'm sure you'd be able to teach yourself how to use it. If it didn't then you can often download one on-line once you have the make and number of the machine.

If it helps....I still have to 'get the book out' each time I put the bobbin in place.....and I've been using a machine since I was 16!!! (drawing my pension now! :lol: ) I used to make clothes for my daughter and myself, but all I seem to do now is zig-zag my fabric for cross stitch! :roll: :roll:
As we were emptying the apartment, we were sure we would find the instruction manual. She saved everything she thought was important. But that was one manual we did not find. I think she saved the manuals for the things she thought she would need, but since using the sewing machine came so naturally to her, that is probably the one thing she threw away. It's also the one thing she brought with her from my parents original apartment. Everything else was acquired during the 55 years she was in this one.

Since it is so old, I'm not sure if they will have a manual online, but that is my plan to search. And if I can find it, you are probably right, give me some quiet time with a manual, and I usually can figure out how to do most things.

Thanks for the support and ideas.
Desiree

WIP:
Lobo - HAED
Faces of Joan Elliot SAL
Friendly Felines

2016 Finishes:
Joan Elliot Birth Announcement
Flower of the Month - July
12 Days of Christmas
mags

Re: Mouselady's Stitching Update 02/28/16

Post by mags »

So sorry about your Mum :(

You have some lovely projects and I hope you can get to grips with the sewing machine. I'd give you a hand if I was a bit nearer, but there is a big pond in the way.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
mouselady

Re: Mouselady's Stitching Update 03/06/16

Post by mouselady »

Decided it was time to return to the Faces of Joan Elliott SAL for a few weeks. I think I should be able to get this done in time for my cousin's birthday in November. Again, not sure about the finishing, but I will worry about that once the stitching is done. So far I've gotten two faces done and I'm working on the third. Will do all the back-stitching and the beading at the end.

Thanks for looking!
Desiree

WIP:
Lobo - HAED
Faces of Joan Elliot SAL
Friendly Felines

2016 Finishes:
12 Days of Christmas
mouselady

Re: Mouselady's Stitching Update 03/13/16

Post by mouselady »

Spent another week on the Faces of Joan Elliott. Still hoping to get this done in time to finish it into a pillow and present to my cousin for her birthday in November. I think I can, I think I can...

Been trying to decide what to bring with me on our upcoming cruise. Keep bouncing between bringing this, bringing a new Flower of the Month, or starting a completely new project and seeing how far I can get.

Right now I'm leaning towards bringing this. It would be the scheduled project based on my 'rotation' but part of my really wants to start something new, that is going to be for me. It's just that the other part of me really wants to finish something that I have started before I start something new. Then there is the third part of me that has no clue what she wants to do :? I really need to do something about her.

Any suggestions? What do you usually do when you go on a trip?
Desiree

WIP:
Lobo - HAED
Faces of Joan Elliot SAL
Friendly Felines

2016 Finishes:
12 Days of Christmas
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Lovely update on "Faces". It is going to be a wonderful gift for your cousin. When I go on vacation I usually take a WIP that is really an sadly neglected HAED (my first one) that has a lot of black background. Since I end up not stitching very much, it works because I get some more of the black stitched and I don't have to concentrate too much. Of course, it depends on the type of vacation. When we would rent a cottage or house on the ocean for a week or two I would take whatever I was working on since these were often "sit and enjoy the view" and relax vacations, vs. lots of things to do and places to go. I don't think I took any cross stitching when we went on a cruise, since I didn't expect to have much free time. Used that to catch up on reading. I'm sure none of that helps you decide. I love cruises. Where are you going?

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Cecilia

Post by Cecilia »

Yes you can, Yes you can. :thumbsup:

How about taking your flower of the month on your cruise? No special reasoning, it just sounds like a nice project for a cruise. :D
Completed 2017: Anniversary Sampler by The Sweetheart Tree

Love comforteth like sunshine after rain. Shakespeare
fccs

Post by fccs »

mouselady wrote:
Been trying to decide what to bring with me on our upcoming cruise. Keep bouncing between bringing this, bringing a new Flower of the Month, or starting a completely new project and seeing how far I can get.

Any suggestions? What do you usually do when you go on a trip?
I'm going on a cruise in July and am already thinking about what to take. When I travel, I like to take two or three designs and I prefer them to be smaller ones as they are easier to pack. If the design calls for a 28 or 32 count fabric, then I must also decide which magnifier to take and that, in turn, determines if I take a qsnap or a hoop. So many decisions!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

You can do it Desiree: you can do it Desiree. It is looking really great and you are making good progress with it too. I am sure it will be ready in time.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
mouselady

Post by mouselady »

Carole,

We're going on a cruise to the Western Caribbean. We don't plan to do too much during the day actually, maybe one snorkel trip. Our goal is relaxation. Since we've been to all the ports before we probably won't even get off the ship in most of the ports. My plan is to have a lot of stitching time. I think that is why I'm having such a hard time deciding what to bring.

Debby,

Exactly, So much to think about and so much to plan and with all that has been going on, I don't have the energy anymore to make decisions.

Cecilia,

Thanks, any suggestion is helpful!
Desiree

WIP:
Lobo - HAED
Faces of Joan Elliot SAL
Friendly Felines

2016 Finishes:
12 Days of Christmas
fccs

Post by fccs »

mouselady wrote:
We're going on a cruise to the Western Caribbean.
We (about 15 of us) are also going to the Caribbean (Roatan, Belize, Cozumel) - pretty much the same cruise a friend, my kids, and I went on a couple years ago.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

Oh, how fun that you're going on a cruise to relax. Hubby and I did that a few years ago. Everyone kept asking why we weren't doing any excursions. The whole idea of relaxing the day away to rejuvenate one's self seems to be uncommon among my friends and family. Enjoy your cruise no matter what you choose to bring.
AlwaysGoofy's Blog with Cross Stitching, Quilting, and My Love of All Things Disney: http://goofinoffaroundtheblock.blogspot.com/
mouselady

Post by mouselady »

Debbey,

Those are the same stops we are making! We'll definitely get off in Cozumel. You just have to have a drink in Cozumel!

AlwaysGoofy,

I definitely enjoy going on vacations with plans to see lots of things, and do lots of stuff. But this one is meant for relaxation, which does seem to be a lost art.
Desiree

WIP:
Lobo - HAED
Faces of Joan Elliot SAL
Friendly Felines

2016 Finishes:
12 Days of Christmas
mouselady

Re: Mouselady's Stitching Update 03/20/16

Post by mouselady »

I am very proud of myself this week. I have finally finished off one of my projects all by myself! I framed the birth announcement I made for my girlfriend. I know it's not perfect, but I have to pat myself on the back because it is not half bad. Need to thank Needlework Tips and Techniques http://www.needlework-tips-and-techniqu ... titch.html for the great tutorial that I believe I found a link to on this forum, so a big thank you to all of you as well.

I feel so accomplished that on our way to my cousin's wedding in May, we will be making a stop at Hobby Lobby so I can find an appropriate frame for my Flower of the Months. I've finished 6 and I worked on July this week. I was going to wait until all 12 were done, but I am so excited knowing that I can do this, I no longer want to wait.

Thanks so much for looking!
Desiree

WIP:
Lobo - HAED
Faces of Joan Elliot SAL
Friendly Felines

2016 Finishes:
12 Days of Christmas
mags

Post by mags »

Lovely birth announcement and the framing is perfect. :applesauce:
I love those flowers of the months too - on my (very long) to do list. :?
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Love the birth announcement, very pretty & excellently framed too - well done. The flowers are very pretty & look forward to see the next ones. Thanks for sharing. :applesauce: :applesauce: :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:D Well Done on framing the birth announcement - it looks fabulous and great progress on the Flower of the Month. You are definitely on a roll with your lovely stitching. :lol:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
fccs

Post by fccs »

I love the flowers and the birth announcement looks great! Well done!! :applesauce: :applesauce:
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Well done on framing the birth announcement!! It looks perfect!
The flower of the month is lovely too. Looking forward to seeing August!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Fantastic framing and wonderful stitching on the flower of the month!! :applesauce:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

The framed finish is so sweet. You made a great choice.

Isn't it fun to go shopping to finish off a piece (or pieces)? I can't wait to see how you decide to finish the flower of the month pieces. I love the colors of the piece you posted. :D
AlwaysGoofy's Blog with Cross Stitching, Quilting, and My Love of All Things Disney: http://goofinoffaroundtheblock.blogspot.com/