Confessions of a Cross Stitcher

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

19Roland19

Re: Confessions of a Cross Stitcher

Post by 19Roland19 »

I have a confession, and I should probably apologize, but....

I have been making Christmas Stockings for years. I have made them for myself, my husband, two daughter-in-laws, one now ex-daughter-in-law, 5 grandkids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, one requested as a gift to someone else's mother, one given as a gift to non-family member (will never make that mistake again :( ). I bought, maybe, three as patterns or kits. The rest were patterns I borrowed from my sister. She collects patterns and rarely uses them, and always makes the mistake of bringing them her to show me....and I say "I love that stocking....I'd like to stitch it". And she leaves the pattern here.

After the last stocking I made, almost two years ago, I was positive I returned ALL her patterns. Today I was looking for an old pattern of mine....and I found her two Donna Kooler books. Oops!

Can I justify it by saying I need to make another stocking anyway? There are still a few here I really like.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Sounds justifiable and reasonable to me! Especially if there are still patterns to stitch!

Carole
:roll:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
salome

Post by salome »

Yay, confessions!

- I'm a thread licker. I've been doing it since my grandmother taught me handquilting at the age of 7, so 30 years later there's little chance of my stopping anytime soon.
- I couldn't care less how the back looks. Although I did just finish a bookmark that I left "open" on the back and was quite proud of how neat the back was.
- I have a kit that has evenweave and I'm scared to start it because: I've never stitched on anything but aida. :shock:
- I adore the colors and work that goes into them, but I have never purchased (and probably never will) hand-dyed threads. They're just way beyond my budget.
- If I run out of a color in a project and it's one that my local Walmart doesn't carry, I just substitute with something as close as possible that I can get. So far, no one's noticed.
- I spent four hours yesterday reorganizing my "stash" and will spend at least that long reorganizing it today, because it's almost as soothing as actual stitching.
- I binge watch FlossTube videos on YouTube and am equal parts jealous of how much other people get in their hauls and amazed at how beautiful their works is.
- More than once in the past week the family has been on their own for dinner because I was too busy stitching.
- I spent a portion of my Christmas budget on stitchy stuff for myself. :oops:
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

On my current project, I discovered too late a couple of major counting mistakes. Due to getting lost on the chart because of the counting mistakes, I finally just started winging it as to the floss colors. Since the chart is a tiger, no one will ever notice.

For me the joy is in the stitching, and unless it would be a major obvious flaw, I just leave the mistake and carry on!
fccs

Post by fccs »

curly sue wrote:
For me the joy is in the stitching, and unless it would be a major obvious flaw, I just leave the mistake and carry on!
Exactly!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Diane1012

Post by Diane1012 »

I had to stop going to the store around July. I have 6-7 Christmas stocking kits hidden that I haven't been able to make. If I go to the store, I will buy more.
mysterystitcher

Post by mysterystitcher »

I had a plan to knit every single stitch ready first and attack on canvases after that, but my spinning (I will send yarn to someone, and I decided I'll make her a bigger ball of yarn as a surprise, so I needed to spin more) made my neck hurt. That means I had to grab my needlepoint and let the needle fly. Well, it doesn't exactly fly, but I got even some progress done.
Best: MysteryStitcher

My needlepoint blog: http://mysteriousstitching.blogspot.com

My knitting blog: https://mysteriousknitting.blogspot.com
caz78

Post by caz78 »

I am so happy I popped back here after so long! So many of my secret little cheats aren't so secret after all :D It's not just me - yay!

1) I also over stitch mistakes!!!! I'm not alone, thank God lol :applesauce: I find as long as I pull the thread snug you really can't tell. Then I have a little bit of sneaky smugness that I got away with it :whoop: If it does look a little bulky then sometimes I will just do a half stitch if that will cover the previous colour. If the stitched area is a bit tight I will use one strand and go over twice each way. I cheat a lot! Wrath is 5 years in the making so far and I wouldn't have got this far without some fudging :oops:

2) I lose my needle most days. It never seems to stick to a magnet properly and falls out of the fabric when I just jab it there. It's a common call in our house 'I've done it again!!' Hubby and DS11 come running and play hunt the needle. They haven't failed me yet :lol:

3) I have purposely ruined projects I wasn't enjoying just to justify starting a new one :oops:

4) I bought a fancy schmancy wooden box for the threads I'm using at the mo. Told hubby the plastic ones were soooo hard to work with once I saw the wooden one and I 'really needed it' . Naughty me!

5) if I decide to start a new project I can't wait. I need it...now! I can't wait for threads to arrive, or fabric. It's straight in the car and drive 30 miles if needs be. I can't be without something to stitch.

6) I resent everything that stops me stitching. I have a tiny house and have to stitch in the kitchen. Our bathroom is off the kitchen. So I get interrupted. Every. 5. Minutes!!! :x

7) I ONLY stitch HAEDs now. I hate fancy stitches and gaps. I have decided to stick to the smaller ones though cos life's too short when the big ones take so long.

8) I'm the world's slowest stitcher. No exaggeration. About a stitch a minute! I've counted.

9) If I get a tangle on the back I will pull the loop down and stitch it down tight. Can't leave it. Can't face all that frogging.

10) I do 'me style' parking and Haed's. Not cross country. Not a page at a time or 10 x 10's. I work ALL the way across row 1, then back along row 2, and so on. It evolves line by line. I've never seen anyone else stitch in such an odd way but I don't get lines and the back's neat lol.

Ah confession feels good.
Completed April 2011 HAED Garnet QS
WIP HAED Wrath - started 14/4/2011
fccs

Post by fccs »

caz78 wrote:
3) I have purposely ruined projects I wasn't enjoying just to justify starting a new one :oops:
Your confessions made me laugh - especially that one. Thanks for sharing. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Yes I laughed too! Especially at 3 and 4! I can totally relate to number 5 :thumbsup:
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
caz78

Post by caz78 »

I am glad. It's always good to share a smile :D
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

caz78 wrote:...10) I do 'me style' parking and Haed's. Not cross country. Not a page at a time or 10 x 10's. I work ALL the way across row 1, then back along row 2, and so on. It evolves line by line. I've never seen anyone else stitch in such an odd way but I don't get lines and the back's neat lol....
I did that, too, on my last project and then did it again starting this one. I treated the top row of pages as one big page -- all the way across and all the way back.

WIP
caz78

Post by caz78 »

Yay! Always good to realise someone else stitches the same way :D It just makes sense to me to keep going! I've found it's very neat too as there is no coming up between stitches that are already there. No gaps for miscounting. Just takes a bit longer with all the colour changes really, but parking helps there. I'm super slow at stitching but super speedy at threading needles though so no biggy. Really keeps the bulkiness down as well.

Thanks for letting me know!
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

This is my confession. I can't stop buying Floss and I Love Anchor Threads. I wish there was a vendor here in central, New Jersey. :lol: :tizzy:
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

I get it! I don't lika metallics and blending filaments. I am being adamant about using them....but ohmygosh! They are getting on my nerves! :tantrum:

I don't care for 14-Count? :tizzy:

Like it when I choose my own colors and it works really well. :dance:
seedreemer

Post by seedreemer »

I have a new confession. I'm just full blown making AND LEAVING knots on the back these days. And I'm liking it! I'm also not being too picky about some colors. I'm working on the sky section of a big project, and if all I need is a single stitch of one of the million blues I just use whatever is on my needle. I am carraaazey! :whoop:
fccs

Post by fccs »

seedreemer wrote:I have a new confession. I'm just full blown making AND LEAVING knots on the back these days. And I'm liking it! I'm also not being too picky about some colors. I'm working on the sky section of a big project, and if all I need is a single stitch of one of the million blues I just use whatever is on my needle. I am carraaazey! :whoop:
@rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl:
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

I love it seedreemer!

Duh...How can I hate 14-count when I'm working on several projects that are 32-Count? I'm Wacky! :ribbit:
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

Not exactly a confession, but didn't know where else to post this.

I'm working on a stocking. Some difficulty because some symbols are to close to each other. I've actually had to frog an area because I used a green instead of 211. So, when I started using number 437 and it was exactly the colour beside it, which was a different symbol I was quite upset with myself. I looked to see which colour was wrong.

The 437 was beside 738. And they looked identical. I put the two skeins beside each other....identical! I assumed I must have mislabeled one and was trying to figure out which. I was looking at my work as I walked into another room, and with no direct sunlight....I saw a very slight difference. The 437 is just a tinge darker.

It's a Father Christmas robe, and the colour of the robe is 738, but where there is a fold or ripple in the material, the 437 is the part in shadow.

I've never seen a pattern with large chunks of each colour, but with such a suttle detail. It's making me enjoy this more as I watch it develope.
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

Working a sky area with three shades of blue. I am stitching over two, and I discovered one stitch, the bottom right corner was one hole over (where no thread should have gone through. Pulling it out would have required pulling out quite a bit. Since the stitch beside it was close in shade, I just put the bottom left stitch into the same hole. After a few stitches....it doesn't show.

So I'm leaving it thus way. :oops: