FOLLOW THAT THREAD BINGO - Mags has won!

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Linda Rose

Re: FOLLOW THAT THREAD! BINGO - Day 5 Picks

Post by Linda Rose »

The term even-weave applies to any fabric that is "evenly woven", so any fabric which has the same number of threads per inch in both the vertical and horizontal directions, and all the threads have the same thickness.

The main difference between linen and even-weave is that linen threads are not all the same thickness, so basically the stitches per inch may not be equal vertically and horizontally.

My understanding is that Aida fits the bill for even-weave, but it is a specialized even-weave invented by Zweigart.

It can all be a bit confusing at times as information is not consistent across websites, even those offered by groups or companies that should be 'in the know'.
Linda
Linda Rose

Re: FOLLOW THAT THREAD! BINGO - Day 6 Picks

Post by Linda Rose »

And here are today's numbers:

26 The Moors

In Spain, under the influence of the Islamic civilization of The Moors (756-1492), Blackwork was popular.
Blackwork, sometimes historically termed Spanish Blackwork, is a form of embroidery. Traditionally Blackwork featured geometric designs on white linen, using the wool from black sheep. This technique is thought to have influenced the development of cross stitch.

8 Bayeux Tapestry

The Bayeux Tapestry (English /baɪˈjɜːr/ or US /bɑːˈjuː/, /beɪˈjuː/; French: Tapisserie de Bayeux, IPA: [tapisʁi də bajø], or La telle du conquest) is an embroidered cloth nearly 70 meters (230 ft) long and 50 centimeters (20 in) tall, which depicts the events leading up to the Norman conquest of England concerning William, Duke of Normandy, and Harold, Earl of Wessex, later King of England, and culminating in the Battle of Hastings.

The Bayeux tapestry is one of the supreme achievements of the Norman Romanesque .... Its survival almost intact over nine centuries is little short of miraculous ... Its exceptional length, the harmony and freshness of its colors, its exquisite workmanship, and the genius of its guiding spirit combine to make it endlessly fascinating.

The tapestry consists of some fifty scenes with Latin tituli, embroidered on linen with colored woolen yarns. It is likely that it was commissioned by Bishop Odo, William's half-brother, and made in England—not Bayeux—in the 1070's. In 1729 the hanging was rediscovered by scholars at a time when it was being displayed annually in Bayeux Cathedral. The tapestry is now exhibited at the Musée de la Tapisserie de Bayeux in Bayeux, Normandy, France.

(This excerpt was taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayeux_Tapestry" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank; please visit...you will not be disappointed.)

I have had the opportunity to visit the museum and see this piece. It is stunning.
Linda
mags

Post by mags »

Very interesting Linda, thank you.

None today but I got one yesterday, now at 4. :D
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
fccs

Post by fccs »

No matches for me today, but I'm still learning so I consider that a win.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

fccs wrote:No matches for me today, but I'm still learning so I consider that a win.
Ditto.
The info on the Tapestry was really good. I think it must be awesome to see in person.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Linda Rose

Re: FOLLOW THAT THREAD! BINGO - Day 7 Picks

Post by Linda Rose »

Greetings this beautiful Thursday! I hope you take the opportunity to look at the web pages given with today's picks. There are truly some remarkable pieces of work out there

7 Assisi Embroidery

Assisi embroidery is a form of counted-thread embroidery based on an ancient Italian needlework tradition in which the background is filled with embroidery stitches and the main motifs are outlined but not stitched. The name is derived from the Italian town of Assisi where the modern form of the craft originated. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisi_embroidery" target="_blank" target="_blank

4 628,296

That's 628,296 stitches in a cross stitch replica of the Sistine Chapel, designed and stitched by Joanna Lopianowski-Roberts. She is a Canadian, now living in the United States, who used British technology to get her project done. Please see either of the websites below.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... iling.html" target="_blank" target="_blank

http://sistinechapelcrossstitch.blogspot.ca/" target="_blank" target="_blank
Linda
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

Greetings this beautiful Wednesday! I hope you take the opportunity to look at the web pages given with today's picks. There are truly some remarkable pieces of work out there.

7 Assisi Embroidery

Assisi embroidery is a form of counted-thread embroidery based on an ancient Italian needlework tradition in which the background is filled with embroidery stitches and the main motifs are outlined but not stitched. The name is derived from the Italian town of Assisi where the modern form of the craft originated. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisi_embroidery" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

4 628,296

That's 628,296 stitches in a cross stitch replica of the Sistine Chapel, designed and stitched by Joanna Lopianowski-Roberts. She is a Canadian, now living in the United States, who used British technology to get her project done. Please see either of the websites below.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... iling.html" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

http://sistinechapelcrossstitch.blogspot.ca/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Linda
fccs

Post by fccs »

Woo hoo! Two more for me - I'm up to seven now.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Up to 5 now :dance:
Fascinating info on the Bayeux Tapestry. I really must go and see it...
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
cairee

Post by cairee »

just caught up, this is a facinating bingo to be sure!

5/10
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
Linda Rose

Re: FOLLOW THAT THREAD! BINGO - Day 8 Picks

Post by Linda Rose »

Sorry for the very early Post. I work in the relief and development sector and we are have become exceptionally busy this last week. I will reorganize in a day or two so that I can get back to a better time for all. Here we go for today:

15 Jane Bostocke

In 1598 Jane Bostocke stitched a sampler to commemorate the birth of Alice Lee, her cousin. It is the earliest dated British sampler known to have survived and is stored at the Victoria and Albert Museum in England. Visit it here http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O4618 ... -bostocke/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

21 Penelope

PENELOPE CANVAS is a needlepoint canvas that has a double thread canvas where both the vertical and horizontal threads are woven in pairs which create alternating large and small meshes in the same weaving to accommodate both large and or small stitches. Penelope sizes are expressed with two numbers to describe the counts of both meshes in the canvas such as 10/20. This canvas is perfect for décor items and for a mix of intricate and more quickly stitched large background stitches.

OK - I was taken with the name. It sounds beautiful to me!
Linda
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

one yesterday and one today so I'm half way there. This is fascinating info. I hope that members who aren't playing are taking the time to read the information.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

rcperryls wrote: This is fascinating info. I hope that members who aren't playing are taking the time to read the information.

Carole
I agree. I'm learning a lot from this game. (And zip for me today.)
Last edited by fccs on Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
mags

Post by mags »

Oh I've seen the Jane Bostocke strawberry pattern somewhere - I hadn't realised how old it was.

Oh gosh, I'm up to 7/10 now :shock:
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Jewell Stitcher

Post by Jewell Stitcher »

rcperryls wrote:This is fascinating info. I hope that members who aren't playing are taking the time to read the information.
I am!! I really enjoying this info. :D
Anne x

:ratherbe:

WIP:

Big Cats by Tilton Crafts
Birth Sampler
Antique World Map by Jane Greenoff
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

I finally found a link that shows some needlework on Penelope canvas. If you can enlarge the pictures you can best see the combination of larger and smaller stitches on the third picture. The canvas really does provide a unique finished piece. See it here:

http://www.needlenthread.com/2009/05/mo ... tures.html" target="_blank
Linda
Linda Rose

Re: FOLLOW THAT THREAD BINGO - Day 9 Picks

Post by Linda Rose »

And today we have two topics that work very well together:

28 Therese de Dillmont

Thérèse de Dillmont (10 October 1846 – 22 May 1890) was an Austrian needleworker and writer. Dillmont's Encyclopedia of Needlework (1886) has been translated into 17 languages. She owned a string of shops in European capitals and she was "one of the most important pioneers in the international and multicultural enterprise of hobby needlework in the late nineteenth century".
Excerpt from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Th%C3%A9r ... e_Dillmont" target="_blank" target="_blank

18 Mercerized cotton

Mercerization is a treatment for cellulosic material, typically cotton threads, that strengthens them and gives them a lustrous appearance. The process was devised in 1844 by John Mercer of Great Harwood, Lancashire, England, who treated cotton fibers with sodium hydroxide. The treatment caused the fibers to swell, which in Mercer's version of the process shrank the overall fabric size and made it stronger and easier to dye. The process did not become popular until H. A. Lowe improved it into its modern form in 1890. By holding the cotton during treatment to prevent it from shrinking, Lowe found that the fibre gained a lustrous appearance. The process was taken to the DMC company in Mulhouse, France by Jean Dollfus in the 19th century. Excerpt from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercerised_cotton" target="_blank" target="_blank

A look at Therese's book can be found here https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Encyclop ... Needlework" target="_blank" target="_blank

A very nice piece of DMC history, with both stories, is found here http://www.dmc-usa.com/DMC-History.aspx" target="_blank" target="_blank
Linda
rcperryls

Re: FOLLOW THAT THREAD BINGO - Day 9 Picks

Post by rcperryls »

I'm up to 6/10 and love this topic. Learning something new everyday!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Linda Rose

Re: FOLLOW THAT THREAD BINGO - Day 10 Picks

Post by Linda Rose »

Greetings! I hope you are enjoying a fabulous weekend. Here are the numbers that bring us closer to a winner:

10 Cross stitch

Cross-stitch is a popular form of counted-thread embroidery in which X-shaped stitches in a tiled, raster-like pattern are used to form a picture. Cross-stitch is often executed on easily countable even-weave fabric called Aida cloth. The stitcher counts the threads in each direction so that the stitches are of uniform size and appearance. This form of cross-stitch is also called counted cross-stitch in order to distinguish it from other forms of cross-stitch. Sometimes cross-stitch is done on designs printed on the fabric (stamped cross-stitch); the stitcher simply stitches over the printed pattern. Cross-stitch is the oldest form of embroidery and can be found all over the world. Many folk museums show examples of clothing decorated with cross-stitch, especially from continental Europe, Asia, and Eastern and Central Europe.

20 Needles/Tapestry Needle

A needle is defined as a very fine slender piece of metal with a point at one end and a hole or eye for thread at the other, used in sewing.

The distinctive attributes of a tapestry needle are :
The tip of the needle is blunt. It pushes aside the fibers of Aida or linen fabric instead of piercing them.
The eye of the needle is large and oval allowing it to accommodate several strands of embroidery floss at a time.
The shaft of the needle is wider than the tip. This allows the needle to make room for the floss to pass through the fabric with less friction. Friction causes wear on the floss and can lead to floss damage and even breakage. Friction can also lessen the sheen of some floss types.

A short but excellent history of needles is found here http://www.sewingmantra.com/index.php/n ... g-needles/" target="_blank" target="_blank
I think we often take for granted the excellent tools we have at our disposal to create the things we do. I hope you can marvel as I do that someone was able to think of these things and then others improved upon them in the centuries that followed.
Linda
cairee

Re: FOLLOW THAT THREAD BINGO - Day 10 Picks

Post by cairee »

3 more over the last 3 days!
8/10
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)