What brand lap stand?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

geekishly

What brand lap stand?

Post by geekishly »

I got this lap stand the other day off of freecycle, and I was wondering if anyone knew what brand it was? The kind woman I got it from couldn't remember/didn't know what brand it was. I want to order an adapter set for it so I can use other scroll frames/q-snaps with it in addition to the stretcher bars it came with. And I'll probably get some more stretcher bars so I don't have to detach the WIP project from the stretcher bars when I want to switch to a different project.
- Brandi

WIPs
Joan Elliot's "Grace"
"Sephina's Secret" by Illustrated Ink
Small Projects - Belle & Boo girl w/dove

my blog
fccs

Re: What brand lap stand?

Post by fccs »

I don't recognize the frame pee se, but it reminds me of the original K's Creations. I wonder if adapters for most similar type frames would work?
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
geekishly

Post by geekishly »

Hmmm, I was on their site the other day and this one didn't look exactly the same, but it did look very similar. There were a few other brands I'd looked at that also looked vaguely similar, but each of them looked different enough that I wasn't sure. It's possible that any adapter could work with it, but I wasn't sure since a lot of companies will make just enough of a difference between them to get you to buy at their prices instead of cheaper options.
- Brandi

WIPs
Joan Elliot's "Grace"

my blog
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Manufacturers make changes to their products so what you have may not look exactly what is on their website currently. I have a Tomorrow's Treasures floor stand that I got 30 years ago that looks nothing like what they offer now, for example. How the scroll bars mount in the side bars would be a clue for me. I'd send that picture to the customer service department of the company you think it looks most like. Explain to them how you acquired the frame and see if they recognize it as an old model.

WIP
geekishly

Post by geekishly »

That's a good idea. I will try that.
- Brandi

WIPs
Joan Elliot's "Grace"

my blog
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

It looks good and solid. I hope you can find the maker. :D
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I'm probably missing something obvious here, but why the need for more stretcher bars? Wouldn't it be possible to measure and then drill a hole through the side bars and use your pre-existing frames? I'm sure I must be missing something important. :thinks:
geekishly

Post by geekishly »

Because if I baste on the project, I either have to unbaste and rebaste every time I want to switch to a different WIP. Whereas, if I get additional stretcher bars I can just swap out the set of bars with basted on project when I want to switch projects. I have several large projects, but I get bored easily. Also, it would be great if I could get the adapter so it can hold my q-snaps so that can pop small projects on and off of them and use the stand so I don't have to hold the frame in hand.
- Brandi

WIPs
Joan Elliot's "Grace"

my blog
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

geekishly wrote:Because if I baste on the project, I either have to unbaste and rebaste every time I want to switch to a different WIP. Whereas, if I get additional stretcher bars I can just swap out the set of bars with basted on project when I want to switch projects. ....
You're talking about the scroll rods. You want extra sets of scroll rods, not 'stretcher' bars.

WIP
geekishly

Post by geekishly »

Oh. :oops:
- Brandi

WIPs
Joan Elliot's "Grace"

my blog
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

geekishly wrote:Oh. :oops:
:hug: No big deal. Now you know. :) Any luck identifying the manufacturer?

WIP
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

Allyn, How do you like your floorstand? :wave: I want to invest in one because the snap frames are heavy. I would love to free-up an arm while I am stitching. :tea:
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

ecology665 wrote:Allyn, How do you like your floorstand? :wave: I want to invest in one because the snap frames are heavy. I would love to free-up an arm while I am stitching. :tea:
I couldn't stitch without a stand. First, the scroll frame with 30+ inch rods is just too heavy and cumbersome to hold while stitching. Second, I can't imagine stitching single-handed anymore. I'd probably find another hobby if I had to stitch one-handed again.

I use a stand that straddles my chair now. The floor stand I referred to in the post is in the closet. It's a one-arm stand and the big scroll frames I use are just too heavy for it. I need a stand with a leg on each side.

WIP