Ravelry?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Serinde

Ravelry?

Post by Serinde »

Anyone here also have a presence over at Ravelry?
wendywombat

Re: Ravelry?

Post by wendywombat »

I think I did once...but can't remember my log in details. :roll:
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Not I.

Mostly involves knitting - at which I'm an utter Klutz.

Regards

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Sorry not me Serinde although quite a few on my other forum (Stitchlinks) belong to it and I know they support Betsan in her work with therapeutic knitting. I must admit that the lovely autumnal cooler weather on my trip back home had me enjoying my knitting and crochet heaps though. :lol:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
seedreemer

Post by seedreemer »

I do because I fiddle around with crochet. I learned I'm apparently too dumb to knit. I can't remember my Ravelry info though. :doh: Every winter when I pick up my crochet again I have to have them send me my info in email. Every. Year.
Angel

Post by Angel »

I'm amo angelus either all one word or with an underscore... I'm not sure
DahliaDoll

Post by DahliaDoll »

Yes, I'm registered but don't spend a lot of time there. I'm "Tinking".
My Blog: Crafting is My Busy-Ness

乁( •_• )ㄏ
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I'm signed back in now....changed my password but I'm there as Wendywombat (what else?) :wink:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I'm there, too, but to do with weaving. I'm lurking around pegs and sticks, or something like that. Not Serinde, tho. :cry: (Taken, as well as all the useable variations, which isn't surprising.) Endrickwater.

Richard, I neither knit nor crochet. It might be a heresy on Revelry, but no one's noticed yet. I've tried both, and am trying again to learn to knit, but really, if I'm playing with yarn, I'd rather stitch (if I have to) or weave (much better).

Being a total newbie again is a shock! :shock: But it's fascinating to see what other weavers are doing -- lots of inspiration. Have to work up the courage to introduce myself, but first need a photo of, well, Endrick Water, I think. :lol:
richardandtracy

Serinde,

As a result of investigating weaving after seeing your 'Other Crafts' entry, and downloading a Mirrix Looms 'Weaving is Easy' [ha ha] PDF book, I'm now in daily receipt of a spam e-mail from Mirrix. It is half wanted... reminding me that I want, one day, to make a simple loom and have a bash myself. The thing about those Mirrix looms is that they use a spring to space the warp and they are incredibly simple in design http://www.mirrixlooms.com/store/5-mini ... reli-loom/. Think I have some wing nuts, M10 studding, a few nuts, and copper pipe, but not sure I have any similar springs.
Would have to knock up something from acrylic sheet to enable easy swapping over of the side of warp threads the weft thread goes through.

Regards,

Richard.
Carole

Post by Carole »

I'm on Ravelry. It's a brilliant resource for crochet, I've found, and I love being able to log all my projects there. I'm CaroleAnne on there.
Current WIPs
Precious Dreams
Crazy cat lady
Previous WIPs
Previous WIPs

Serinde

Post by Serinde »

richardandtracy wrote:Serinde,

As a result of investigating weaving after seeing your 'Other Crafts' entry, and downloading a Mirrix Looms 'Weaving is Easy' [ha ha] PDF book, I'm now in daily receipt of a spam e-mail from Mirrix. It is half wanted... reminding me that I want, one day, to make a simple loom and have a bash myself. The thing about those Mirrix looms is that they use a spring to space the warp and they are incredibly simple in design http://www.mirrixlooms.com/store/5-mini ... reli-loom/. Think I have some wing nuts, M10 studding, a few nuts, and copper pipe, but not sure I have any similar springs.
Would have to knock up something from acrylic sheet to enable easy swapping over of the side of warp threads the weft thread goes through.
I had a look at the Mirrix loom, and thought, nope. The spring might look a good idea, but there's probably a reason why no one else uses that method. Also, those wing nuts at the bottom? They'd really, really get in the way. The Weaver's Bazaar simple loom is far superior for starters, and even includes a ruler top and bottom, with all the tensioning done from set screws. My slightly older version has 2sets of wing nuts at the top only for tensioning.
richardandtracy

My wife occasionally uses a tiny bead loom she bought from the US for doing bracelets & that sort of thing - 8 to 10 beads wide. That uses a spring at each end. It actually works very well indeed. I suspect others don't use springs because it's hard to get hold of ones of the right pitch, unless you have a screw cutting lathe, some music wire and make your own.

I agree with you about the wing nut position, seems very silly.
I am less sure about the set screws on the loom you linked to. At work I've had terrible trouble with set crews coming undone and have an aversion to them. However the reason they come undone is the violence of the testing we put our boxes through. When on the shaker we test them with the whole box has a fuzzy outline of depth around 25mm where it's being shaken and your eye cannot possibly follow the edge at the speed it travels back & forth. In fact time in the test chamber is usually limited to 5 mins as the noise is so exhausting even with ear defenders. The boxes get tested like this for 9 hours in each of three axes...

Regards,

Richard.
purgatory

Post by purgatory »

I'm on ravelry too as ladydaemon

a friend told me about the site when I took up crochet and it has been a great help when making things the people there are very friendly and there is a lot of information and help when required as well as all the free patterns!
Finishes 2013

HAED earth mermaid

WIPs (or even my rotation O.O)

HAED sloth
HAED SK courage
HAED Amanda and Axel
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

richardandtracy wrote:My wife occasionally uses a tiny bead loom she bought from the US for doing bracelets & that sort of thing - 8 to 10 beads wide. That uses a spring at each end. It actually works very well indeed. I suspect others don't use springs because it's hard to get hold of ones of the right pitch, unless you have a screw cutting lathe, some music wire and make your own.

I agree with you about the wing nut position, seems very silly.
I am less sure about the set screws on the loom you linked to. At work I've had terrible trouble with set crews coming undone and have an aversion to them. However the reason they come undone is the violence of the testing we put our boxes through. When on the shaker we test them with the whole box has a fuzzy outline of depth around 25mm where it's being shaken and your eye cannot possibly follow the edge at the speed it travels back & forth. In fact time in the test chamber is usually limited to 5 mins as the noise is so exhausting even with ear defenders. The boxes get tested like this for 9 hours in each of three axes...
You wouldn't do that to an unsuspecting loom, would you? :shock:

Check out Evertite Stretcher Bar Frames. They have this sort of set screws, or something like it, and are very well made and well regarded.

The other thing about springs has to do with the way they are made and whether they are made well enough not to cut the warp under a lot of tension. It does seem an elegant solution, tho you'd need different sets of spring sizes for different epi/wpi. No different than needing different size hoops, I guess.
agi

Post by agi »

I have an account, same name as here, but mostly just browse knitting patterns. Didn´t realise they have weaving, too, thanks for mentioning it, Serinde! Was actually thinking that I might want to use it more, like for taking stock of all my yarn and my projects... :thinks:
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Well, there were about a zillion "Serinde"s of various sorts when I registered, so that was a non-starter on Ravelry. So over there, I'm endrickwater, which has the virtue of at least being a local river! :lol: I have only joined the pegs and sticks group, but I've no avatar yet and am really only lurking at the moment, trying to get my old head around how it all works. Lots of lovely stuff, tho as I neither knit nor crochet, I feel I'd better make something of this weaving thing!
AngieR

Post by AngieR »

I do for my crochet projects I work on in the winter time.
Angie

Wips
Colorful Rose (Happy Forever) started May 20th 2016
the eagles wings 3 (Happy Forever) started May 27th 2016
Unicorn Garden (Happy Forever) Jan. 6, 2017