2016 Round in Circles Hardanger SAL

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

karen4bells

Re: 2016 Round in Circles Hardanger SAL

Post by karen4bells »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: Awesome finish!!! I know your sister will definitely love her card!! :wub:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Emmylou

Post by Emmylou »

I wonder if anyone can help me, I'm really struggling with January (haven't tried the others) but I'm having issues with placement. No matter how many times I've unpicked there is still a problem with counting.

Emma Louise
http://emmystitches.com/
Cochonou14 on HAED BB

WIP
Wedding sampler
Café de Paris
HAED TT Kitten 2
Dimension's Travel Memories
HAED Mystic Garden
DMC's Vegetable Basket
HAED Mini Curl up with a good book
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Counting is always my downfall and I give myself a pat on the back when I finish the Kloster blocks and they match. There is now magic way to overcome mis-counting either that I know of, apart from keeping a continual check as in do a block look at it and make sure it is going the right way.
My downfall every time is the outer circle and then I look at yours and see it is perfect so well done from me on that.

Looking at what you have done so far it all looks accurate so I would say just continue as you are doing and it should turn out right. Are you stitching it on aida or evenweave? I prefer evenweave for hardanger - usually 25 count lugana - as it is easier to count and I start hardanger motifs in the middle if the Kloster blocks are central to the design. When it is like January's then, like you, I start with the top row and move round.

A PM to Mabel or a note on the SAL thread on her web site will get you expert help if you are still having problems but it looks to me as if your start is right.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
cairee

Post by cairee »

I had to look at it super zoomed in but I think I see the problem. your kloster blocks are going over 5 threads instead of 4. this will definetly throw your placement off! kloster blocks are 5 stitches over 4, you come up at the top, skip 3 holes and go down the 4th hole. Hope that makes sense.

oh, I love the fabic you chose, just beautiful!
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

It looks like you have hit the nail on the head Cairee - Emmylou that last stitch you seem to have gone over too many holes, so go back and have a recount as Cairee has suggested. I do it the other way counting the hole you come up in as 1 and then going down at the 5th hole. We all have different ways of getting the same result. :D

WIPS
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Yup. You've stitched Kloster blocks over too many threads. Or holes. Now here's a tip: hardanger isn't hard. Really, it isn't. I think just about everyone finds putting in those first few stitches difficult (and I'll confess to always starting on kloster blocks, not Mabel's outline... don't tell anyone).

Some folk count threads. Some count holes when doing hardanger. I count holes. So: your needle comes up in one hole, then you count three holes, and then you put the needle back through the fifth hole.

When kloster blocks are in a line, there are always three holes between each set of blocks (and each block has 5 stitches).

Check your back -- with hardanger it's really important -- and follow Mabel's instructions. Your stair steps look perfect from the right side, just make sure you aren't "cutting corners" on the back because that can lead to all sorts of problems later in designs when you are cutting away threads. When in doubt, the golden rule is to start all your stitches on the outside of the motif and work in to the centre.

But Mabel will definitely keep you straight.
Emmylou

Post by Emmylou »

I'm working on 22ct hardanger aida (hand dyed, colour cascade designs). Ah! :doh: I thought it went over 5. Thank you everyone, maybe now I can get past step 2 of part 1 :lol: I had issues with step 1 because I hadn't looked at the chart just design size so gridded 76x76 instead of 80x80 :ratherbe:
Emma Louise
http://emmystitches.com/
Cochonou14 on HAED BB

WIP
Wedding sampler
Café de Paris
HAED TT Kitten 2
Dimension's Travel Memories
HAED Mystic Garden
DMC's Vegetable Basket
HAED Mini Curl up with a good book
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I've been doing hardanger for years, and regularly miscount. :lol: Here's to step 3! :toast:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I don't think I could ever have started or finished a Hardanger pattern without this group and of course Mabel's extra help. I also found when stitching Hardangers that counting holes works so much better. It was hard for me at first to readjust how I looked at the chart, but once I made that adjustment, I made a lot less mistakes (maybe one day I will even have a project that doesn't have any :roll:)

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

What a lovely fabric you've chosen, Emmylou! It'll really pop when you've finished all the stitching. The others have already told you everything you need to know about Kloster blocks so I'm just popping in completely superfluously :-) -- about time, I've been away far too long!

As Serinde said, some people count threads and some count holes - I'm a hole-counter myself - and the thing is to work out the method that works for you, and stick with that. Even if it is not a method described in books, chart packs or forums, if it produces good-looking Hardanger (or any other embroidery) that's just fine.

People sometimes talk about the "rules" of embroidery, and it's true that there are a few that you have to follow or your stitching won't work (for example, you can't stitch your Kloster blocks "zigzag" - one stitch top-to-bottom, the next bottom-to-top, and so on - because is you do your stitching will fall apart when you start cutting). But most of the time there are lots of different ways of doing things, and when I remember I do try to point out alternatives.

In the SAL (and other chart packs, for that matter), if something absolutely has to be done in a certain way I will always try to remember to say so; otherwise, if you find a different way to produce a certain stitch which works for you, then go for it :-). My way of doing picots on woven bars is AFAIK not found in any book, but it's the one I found most effective. And often two different stitches that look the same or similar are just the result of people in different parts of the world or different periods in history trying to achieve a certain effect intheir own way.

Looking forward to seeing your Round One in all its glory, do send me a pic for the SAL Gallery! And remember, besides the great group of helpful people on this forum you can always ask questions on the SAL blog or by emailing me.

By the way, I never did get round to posting my Round Four:

Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Mabel Figworthy

And here is Round Five :-)

WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Great to see you posting Mabel and I love your Round 4 and oh boy is Round 5 a challenge and so pretty. Might just have to put aside my knitting for a couple of days whilst I tackle it. In the meantime I can work out colours for it. :lol:

WIPS
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

And here I thought I'd caught up yesterday! Never underestimate the power of Mabel!

Here's Round 3. I used beads instead of sequins and the dove's eyes are metallic braid (which explains why they are so iffy!):

and Round 4. Photo not as good. Kreinik for the dots and dashes as well as the spiderwebs.
Mabel Figworthy

Oooh I like your bead clusters, like little clover leaves or those background decoration on heraldic shields! May I pinch the pics for the Gallery?
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Of course!
Mabel Figworthy

Thanks - you're in! (And I managed to tweak the colours on Round Four a bit :-) )
Hope you'll enjoy Round Five; will you use Pearl Braid for the Greek crosses?
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Glad you liked the bead clusters. You might add to the list of stash attached to the photo that these were Mill Hill Glass Seed Beads 00161 (Crystal).

Not sure about Kreinik for Greek crosses, even though the spiderwebs in Kreinik worked really well because, of course, the metallic braid sticks to itself really well, so it was possible to make a lovely roundel very easily. Who knew? My initial idea was to use the braid on the double blanket stitches... :thinks:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: for all the beautiful pieces. I love how each one looks so unique because of the threads and fabrics,even when the design is the same.

Carole
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

rcperryls wrote::applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: for all the beautiful pieces. I love how each one looks so unique because of the threads and fabrics,even when the design is the same.

Carole
I was thinking just the same...Wow! :wub: them all!
well done girls :applesauce: :applesauce:
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Mabel & Serinde, fabulous work on the hardanger pieces. Very well done both of you as such exquisite stitching :whoop: :whoop: :applesauce: :applesauce:
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them