Extra fabric while you're stitching

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

MissMarple

Extra fabric while you're stitching

Post by MissMarple »

Hi everybody! I'm new to the board. I like to do larger projects but I have run into a problem. I have a lot of extra fabric that gets in the way when I stitch. I use Q snaps and a grime guard but there is so much extra that it will not all tuck in there. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can keep it out of the way??
fccs

Re: Extra fabric while you're stitching

Post by fccs »

I'm usually able to roll it up and cram it in the grime guard, but if that fails, using the big rounded hair clips works.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

An alternative is to use a scroll frame, rather like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elbesee-Premi ... 1395433807
The fabric clips onto each roller, then you scroll the fabric from one roller onto the other, stitching on the fabric in-between. Frames can be held in one hand or on a stand.
I use a 24 x 12" frame, so it can accommodate fabric up to 24" high and the working area is 12" wide. Frames can be got in a huge range of sizes.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

I use foldback clips on excess material, I fold the extra fabric up then fold some kitchen towel over about 3 to 4 times and put it over the folded material then use the clips to secure and that way my material doesn't get marked either. I use a hoop for my projects even the really large one's but this works for me, I hope it helps.
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I use scroll rods as Richard mentioned. I have rods up to 36-inches long so I can accommodate fairly large projects, but the side-to-side tension isn't as tight as some folks prefer. I'm usually okay with it, but I'm currently working on a piece with specialty stitches, and I like to have uniform tension when doing stuff like that. I've found that I can mount the fabric on the scroll rods in my frame and then put the area of the project I'm working on in a Q-Snap. I have the benefit of having the extra fabric contained on the scroll rods, I can use my stand with it, and I get the benefit of tight tension that the Q-Snaps give, so it's a win-win for me.

WIP
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I've actually started using two grime guards on some of my projects. I have them for both q-snaps and hoops as I use both depending on the project and probably my mood. I put the first grime guard over the fabric before putting the clamps on the q-snap or the top hoop on. Gives the fabric some extra protection and then if I have to use a large hair clip to keep extra fabric rolled up in the grime guard its easy to do and not leave any marks. Hopes that makes sense.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
cairee

Post by cairee »

I'll use clips and grime guards for most of my projects, but for the ones with a ton of extra fabric I take out a scroll frame.
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
dawn0621

Post by dawn0621 »

I've been struggling with this same issue. I just can't hold all the extra fabric. It's just too heavy for my poor hand. So I've graduated to scroll frames and a lap stand. I'm hoping to get a floor stand someday for my really big HAEDs, but for now I can prop one end on something and deal with the awkwardness.
So far I like Artisan Designs and American Dream scroll frames.
Dawn
:wip:
Italian Vista
HAEDs - Autumn, Come Together, Sunflower Bee, I Put a Spell on You
Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy
I Believe in Santa
Autumn Leaves Bookmark
Autumn from Etsy

Finished ~Hummingbirds

sleeplessstitcher916 on Instagram
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

Rather inelegant but...

Binder clips! :whoop: I get these massive big ones, roll the fabric in a need scroll (using q-snap, it's an afghan, no way it's fitting on the sides) snip some jersey out in a square, fold it over and clip it!