Help please washing a sampler

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Peggywill

Help please washing a sampler

Post by Peggywill »

I have just finished a sampler and it's looking grubby so need to wash it
Help please feeling nervous any tips and the best way to wash it and what to use .
Many thanks in advance
poppy

Re: Help please washing a sampler

Post by poppy »

Well done for finishing your sampler! :applesauce:

I am not an expert but this is what I do. The others might do something different.

First, you have to make sure your threads are colorfast ( does not bleed on other colours) DMC and Anchor threads are, usually.

I put my stitching in a clean basin with lukewarm water and a tiny drop of washing-up liquid and agitate the water briefly. I let it soak 5 minutes then I empty the water and fill my bowl with lukewarm water to rinse my piece. I repeat the rinsing then gently squeeze the water out.
It is rather wet at this stage. I sandwich the stitching between 2 thick towels and press down to extract the water.
After this process, I lay a thick towel on my ironing board. I put my stitching face down on the towel and a thin cloth over it. I lower the iron ( no ironing action!) on the piece , all over and gently. It does dry quickly but I let it dry completely overnight.
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

When the thing is already completed, checking the threads will help little, but at least when you know for sure there will be problems, personally I would do as follows:
1. Hand washing in cold (not warm, but the coldest possible) water with little liquid for delicate washing. No soaking!
2. Rinsing in a stream of cold water(under the tap).
3. Drying in towels, not leaving it, but rolling and changing the towels until it is nearly dry.
4. Ironing on a white thick towel (the right side of the stitching down)with a white cotton cloth spread on top of the wrong side of the cross-stitched thing. The ironing should be as fast as possible.
5. If it is OK but still somewhat wet, leave it on a dry white towel the right side up.

P. S. If the threads do not let colours, all the same I wash the thing in cold water(just in case or perhaps because my granny and mum did so) and let it dry a bit on the balcony not in the sun, but where there is plenty of fresh air. Especially this has to be done with huge projects like a tablecloth 2.30cm x 1.60cm. Some people recommend to add some vinegar(colourless one) to rinsing water to make the colours behave themselves.
Lyudmila
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

This thread on washing needlework will help alot since it has been discussed here at length:
http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... f=3&t=2015" target="_blank

Myself, I would only ever use Orvus for washing needlework (don't use Woolite or any soap product that contains dyes or fragrances) and wash in cold water. Orvus is the only washing agent I've found recommended by textile and needlework conservancy organizations. It is available in needlework shops in small quantities as quilting soap or you can get it in a large container in farm supplies stores sold as horse shampoo -- same stuff, different packaging.

Washing your needlework for the first time is a scary thing. Know this, though: on one end of the spectrum you have folks like me that treat every piece as an heirloom and use specific soap because the process has to be just so to meet conservancy standards and on the other end of the spectrum you have folks that will stuff the stitching into a pillowcase and toss it in the washing machine (which makes me shudder just typing that out) and it comes out fine. Just know that if you use cold/tepid water and your threads are colorfast, it'll be okay however you decide to do it.

WIP
fabricluver

Post by fabricluver »

I have just finished the Just Nan Common Ground sampler and it probably needs a wash so I appreciate the suggestions above but do have an additional question. It is stitched on linen that was not washed before stitching. Any chance this could shrink? I had never heard of this happening until I watched a flosstube video where it was suggested to wash beforehand. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Susan
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Allyn, if you have to wash a full-size (at least 230cm x !60 cm, sometimes it may be 340 cm x 160cm) tablecloth, can you imagine washing it by hands? Of course, it goes into a washing machine. Delicate regime, delicate detergent, and nothing is wrong with this method of washing.
Lyudmila
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

This will horrify some, but for years I stitched afghans mostly on 18 ct Charles Craft Alphabet Afghan fabric (never did an alphabet though) which is 54"x 60", pre-fringed afghan made of 100% cotton. To wash them I put them in the washing machine on the gentle cycle using cold water and Tide or All detergent and then in the dryer on the low cycle. Never have had a problem. With other pieces I have either not washed them or just rinsed them in cold water and laid them flat on a towel to dry. I haven't stitched many on linen but haven't washed the ones I finished and framed.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I have washed all mine rolled up in a towel & tied into a sausage. Then wash along with the other washing at 40C, standard coloureds cycle.
Done knowing nothing else will run, of course.

No point in making a special wash...

We use 'Saintsbury's' Non Bio, non anything else as it's cheap, effective & doesn't irritate my wife's skin.

Regards

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Podolyanka wrote:Allyn, if you have to wash a full-size (at least 230cm x !60 cm, sometimes it may be 340 cm x 160cm) tablecloth, can you imagine washing it by hands? Of course, it goes into a washing machine. Delicate regime, delicate detergent, and nothing is wrong with this method of washing.
As I said, some folks do it that way and it comes out fine. I wouldn't; and yes, I have washed a full-size tablecloth by hand, tyvm. :)

WIP
anabel

Post by anabel »

There is such a lot of answers about washing your cross-stitch help I am really confused is it just a hit and miss or is there really such a lot of ways HELP :whoop: thanks Anabel
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

As far as I know, all of the different options that members have suggested are ways to wash your cross stitch project. So much depends on the fabric you choose, the threads you use and what you are personally comfortable with. That is so true about so much with cross stitch. I would suggest that you might want to test a small piece of the fabric with maybe a 100 stitches, especially if you use thread which doesn't claim to be colorfast. I think it is the reds, purples and black shades which might run the most, but I really am not sure about that.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

As with anything, ask 50 people, you're likely to get 60 opinions, and most will be right.
For them.

Regards

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Richard, I like your suggestion of rolling it up in a towel and washing the resultant sausage - will definitely try that some time!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

My washing method has always been consistent with the intended use of the finished project. Pieces intended to be framed are hand washed, then blocked - and handled a little as possible after that so that oils from my skin don't show up as mystery stains years later. But pieces that are incorporated into quilts, clothing - stuff that has to be washed to be used just goes in the washer. What's the point of making a baby afghan if you can't toss it in the washer when the baby spits up on it? Just make sure the fabric edges are secure and won't unravel on you before you start "mistreating" it. Happy Stitching.
kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

I wash my projects in tepid water to which I add salt as well as washing up liquid. Salt stops colours running. Maybe some older members remember their mothers adding salt when washing hand knitted items. I do add salt to the rinsing waters too just to be on the safe side. I rinse 3 or 4 times & dry flat between thick towels. All have been OK so far :)
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers