Christmas Stitching

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Clairabell

Christmas Stitching

Post by Clairabell »

So, I usually stitch to make my Christmas cards. In the past I have started these around mid-September. However, for some reason this year, I feel more eager to start earlier, so have been looking at different charts to chose a theme.

Does anyone else make their own Christmas cards, and if so, when do you usually start? :)
Nicola Main

Re: Christmas Stitching

Post by Nicola Main »

I said to myself last year that I would start early and do some stitched cards but then it dawned on me just how many cards I would need to stitch e.g. if I didn't stitch a card for one person and did for another would they be a bit miffed and annoyed? It would end up being dozens and I knew I just wouldn't have the time to do them all. Having said that I may stitch one for my parents but I'll see how it goes. I would definitely start now but I suppose it depends on how many you're doing, how small/big they would be and how fast a stitcher you are.

Looking forward to seeing what you do! xxx
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Being a bloke, I'm allergic to thinking about Christmas before 14 December. :wink:

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

richardandtracy wrote:Being a bloke, I'm allergic to thinking about Christmas before 14 December. :wink:

Regards,

Richard.
That early, Richard?? :shock: I don't start thinking until 24th at the Very earliest!!! :lol:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

:tizzy: The "C" word!! (Sometime in November...)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

It isn't officially summer yet and we still have (in the US) 4th of July, Labor Day, Halloween and Thanksgiving. And of course a few birthdays and a wedding or two before the 25th of December comes around. Dec 10 sounds like a good date to get serious about
Serinde wrote: :tizzy: The "C" word!!
Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I didn't stitch much for best part of last year so I ended up starting late (October) and ended up rushing and not enjoying the stitching at all. This year I am going to start as soon as I finish my latest (the Iris). I have some interesting pieces I really hope to do for Christmas this year and I don't want to rush, plus I have a couple of gifts planned for my BF, she has been asking for some to replace what got lost in her house fire. Her birthday is in Jan, so I will need lots of time for those .
Linda
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I have made my cards for many years and it is usually November when I start, often have good intentions to start earlier but they seldom work out.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

About once every four or five years I hand-make (either stitching or calligraphy) my Christmas cards. One year I started stitching monochrome Madonna-and-Child designs somewhere in February, I think, but I am rarely that organised - usually it's a mad last-minute scramble to find something simple enough to make several dozen in not too much time :roll:

Like Richard, I don't really do Christmas before some time during December. Having grown up in the Netherlands, Christmas simply didn't get a look in until after St Nicholas had been and gone, so no Christmas trees before the 6th of December! (It acted as a useful brake to the shops as well)

I would like to do a batch of them again, and have got a few designs which will stitch up quite quickly, so perhaps this year is the year!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Clairabell you've given me inspiration and determination to surprise my parents by stitching them a Christmas card this year so thank you! :wub: Currently browsing Pinterest looking for designs xxx
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
isaacson72

Post by isaacson72 »

I don't make my own Christmas cards with stitching (I rarely get to cards at all... I always buy them, rarely send them :oops: ) but I am always making Christmas ornament patterns that I put on mason jars -- or now in a hoop frame, my newest skill! They make great gifts. Plus I sell some of them as an MS fundraiser too, and with a holiday pattern on them, people tend to buy to use as gifts for others. I love doing it year round! :snowman:
Michelle
:ratherbe:

WIP: HAED Candlestick Man (ornament)
WIP: various, never-ending, mason jar lids
craftysarah

Post by craftysarah »

I have just started my Christmas cards