Keeping silk threads?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

ladyrose

Keeping silk threads?

Post by ladyrose »

Hello, I'm a long time lurker and first time poster on this forum. This forum is a terrible enabler of stitch stasjh enhancement. Hence my question, how to keep silk threads?

I was planning to bobbinate the ones I'm going to use on the Chatelaine pattern I picked up. But now that I have the first of them. I'm having second thoughts. Is that going to mess them up? And how do you undo the braid to bobbinate in the first place?
fccs

Re: Keeping silk threads?

Post by fccs »

I usually don't bobbinate my silks; i just keep them in little snack size baggies (one per baggie). The exception would be my Dinky Dyes that for my Glendon Place Tiramisu. Those I bombinate around the tag they come on.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

So glad you have de-lurked at last and yes we do love to help one another gather stash. It's called SABLE -Stash Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy. It is an incurable disease - thank goodness.

To answer your query I have kept my silk threads on the tags they came with mainly so as I know what came from where. I also keep metallic threads on their cards/tags etc.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I tend to put silks on bobbins - I even put (some) metallics on bobbins! So much easier to store them. And it's never messed them up for me yet :x: :-D
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I have some silks that came on bobbins, some I wrap around the tag and some I bobbinate. I guess I can't decide what I like best.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
ladyrose

Post by ladyrose »

: :lol: Thanks for the advice. Though for the moment think they will stay in their baggies until closer to having them all for the pattern and then bobbinate them Although I would say Mabel that I thought metalics were essentially pre-bobbinated and it was best to leave them that way. 8) :tea: or :coffee: for everybody!