advice needed for dark fabric

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

jmk73

advice needed for dark fabric

Post by jmk73 »

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to stitch with black thread on black aida cloth? I'm fine when using other colors of thread, but the black on black is next to impossible. I purchased a lighted magnifier, but I still can't see it well enough. Also the cloth I'm using, which came with a kit, has very small squares so that doesn't help. I've already completed about half of the project but am stuck with the black part. Unfortunately it's a large piece of the overall picture and can't be left out (black lab dog). Thanks!
Nicola Main

Re: advice needed for dark fabric

Post by Nicola Main »

I wonder if you could maybe put something light behind it so you could see the holes better? Anything would do a piece of paper, a bed sheet or a towel anything! I'm sure I've read that somewhere for when you're stitching with dark coloured fabric. Regards, Nicola
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Yes, that was my idea too, put a white napkin or pillow case (or cat :-) ) on your lap and that should make the holes easier to see - you might still struggle to see which stitches have already been done, although even there it should help as squares with stitches won't have holes that show up so well.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Try a white towel or pillowcase on your lap first. If that doesn't work, you could use a wafer light. Search for light box/art box/wafer light and look for one that will not generate heat. Good luck!
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Hi,

I have used a plain white pillowcase over one of those tap-lights, you know the kind that you touch to make it come on and go off. I used a pillowcase over it to cut the glare and it worked for me.

It did take a bit of getting used to and I found it better to stitch in daylight rather than with my daylight lamp as the black fabric was "deadened" under the light - if that makes sense, I hope I have explained it well enough.

Hope this helps.

Garnet
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

If you have an artist's lightbox that might provide a nice "spread" light held on your lap, if covered with some thin material against glare.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I struggled with this myself. In the end I came to the conclusion in my pictures that leaving the fabric visible was not a problem. Maybe you can see whether you think not stitching the black background was detrimental in these pictures:
(28ct evenweave, 2 over 1 tent stitch)
(14ct Aida, 2 over 1 full cross)
(14ct Aida, 2 over 1 full cross)

I think they went OK, particularly the top one. I suspect the same will occur in your picture.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation