GoodReader

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

vanessanjf

GoodReader

Post by vanessanjf »

I am thinking of using GoodReader on my iPad to mark of my charts as I stitch. I have always used paper charts and coloured them in up until now. Can anyone who uses GoodReader tell me the pros and cons of this before I start please.
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
poppy

Re: GoodReader

Post by poppy »

I would be interested in the answers too, Vanessa. I have been colouring-in as you are doing and was bought an i pad for Christmas. :)
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I have been using GoodNotes the last few years and I love it!!! There is a free version and a paid version which doesn't limit the number of charts you can store on it. I used to use paper and highlight what I stitched. With Goodnotes it is so easy to highlight. I also find that for some charts, especially ones with a fair amount of confetti, since I don't park threads, I will draw or number a path to follow (don't know if this makes sense) for a particular symbol so I know the "route" my thread is going. Then when completed I erase the route and highlight it. I also find that it is easy to have several pages open since I will cross pages when there is a block or string of the same color on the page below or the page to the right of the one I'm working on.

I would recommend it. Whether they are better programs out there I don't know. And it is very easy to erase mistakes.

Hope I didn't confuse you.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

Thanks Carole. I will have a look for that. It sounds really good :)
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Can I ask a silly question.
What do you use them for? Is it to mark stitches sewn and stitches where you've parked the thread?

I've not used programs such as these and am interested in whether and how they'd help.

Regards

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I use Goodreader on my iPad, and I find it invaluable when working on complicated designs, like HAEDs, or ones where the chart either isn't printed well or is just too small for my ageing eyes.

I import the design into Dropbox as a pdf file, and then import it into Goodreader. I generally import on a page for page basis -- if the chart has 10 pages, then I'll have 10 files, differentiated by the name of the design and the page number as titles. Then it's easy to open the file for every work session. You can change which page you are on relatively easily, too.

The program allows you to enlarge any part of the page (say, a 10x10 square), you can use a series of different colours to mark off the chart, you can draw lines, erase any of these additions, change colours, create your own colours... I'm sure there's a lot more you can do that I haven't needed to explore.

I'd certainly recommend it.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

richardandtracy wrote:What do you use them for? Is it to mark stitches sewn and stitches where you've parked the thread?
No silly questions around here!

I use it to mark sewn stitches, to enlarge to double check symbols, to draw a path of stitches to decide what route to go. Since I don't park threads, I'm not sure of how it would work, but I'm sure it would as it is a very flexible program. Much less messy than paper (I've been known to spill liquids on the paper. Also much easier to store. I no longer have lots of paper floating around. I do print symbol/color key pages but even with HAEDs its only a few pages. Most all my charts are PDF charts so pretty easy to use. I email myself the pdf file from my mac and then open it on my iPad. the iPad gives me several choices of programs (including iBooks) and I choose GoodNotes. Each chart is a separate file and within the file are all the pages which can be loaded separately as you wish. You can create categories of files (HAED, Active, Samplers, Hardanger etc). Very easy to load several pages at a time or switch pages etc.

It's also a good system for backing up the files, especially the ones you are working on.

I don't know the differences between GoodNotes and Goodreader. I think its definitely worth looking into. And the cost is pretty low.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Thank you.
I shall have to investigate how these could be used. Have a horrible feeling they could be really good procrastination tools if I don't watch myself like a hawk!

Regards

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
fccs

Post by fccs »

I also use Goodnotes, but not for everything I stitch. I love being able to highlight, erase, make notes, erase those, etc. I think the only real drawback I have found is (and it's really just me) sometimes it's just easier to grab a WIP that has the chart and a colored pencil rather than get my iPad. That said, I am using it on my my HAED and I can't imagine doing it all on paper.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

I don’t use Good Notes or Goodreader but I do recall seeing some YouTube videos of stitchers using them and explaining their features, so you might want to check those out if you haven’t already.
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest