How do you tell if a product is licensed?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

DisneyStitcher

How do you tell if a product is licensed?

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Hello all, it's been a while since I've posted. I have a question that I'm not really sure there is an answer to. Is there any way to tell if a chart is actually licensed? I mean, it's usually quite obvious that the Disney chart on Etsy for $5 is not. And I am fairly certain that HAED, Scarlett Quince, and Artecy are playing by the rules. But there are charts of Disney characters and other major franchises on what I would consider to be reputable, larger scale sites that I just don't see how the chart is being sold legally. For example, there is a well known artist that does so called deviant art that has several highly sexualized but instantly recognizable Disney characters along with other major franchises. I don't see Disney granting him licensure, yet he has a webpage and his art is for sale across multiple venues, including comic-con type conventions. Charts for his images are for sale from a well known online store, and they are upfront about having his permission to produce these charts. BUT, how does he have permission from Disney or how do I go about finding out if he does? I personally know a local artist that has done commissions for Disney (in fact, he has/had several of his watercolors on display at the old Dixie Landings resort) and he had to negotiate an agreement for payment, etc., but what was not negotiable was that he gave up all rights to the images once Disney took possession. I'm using this as an example, because it's easy - but what I'd really like to stitch is a Harry Potter franchise image. It's for sale from a reputable site, but I have never heard of JK Rowling, Universal Studios, or Scholastic licensing or producing cross stitch charts or kits. Is there somewhere to go to find out if someone has a licensing agreement with a major company? Thanks!
rcperryls

Re: How do you tell if a product is licensed?

Post by rcperryls »

I have no idea and think this is a very good question. I wonder if the best place to start would be with the publishers of HP books. I would guess that they would know who to contact. There is obviously a marketing firm or something similar that approves licenses. Or ask the seller of the chart you are looking at who gave them the license. Don't know if they will tell you or not. I tried several websites like 123Stitch and Sew and So to see if I could find any Harry Potter charts or kits and couldn't (my search terms might not have been right?). Let us know what you find out if you do any more research on this.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker