Rosey: 2 month update 7/16/2019

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

rcperryls

Rosey: 2 month update 7/16/2019

Post by rcperryls »

A somewhat long story but with photos. If you don't want to read the story just look at the photos.
Rosey is a big beautiful all black probably 3 years old (including whiskers) cat. The only white you can see right now is where they shaved her tummy and found that she had already been spayed. Picked up by our Animal Society as a stray and taken to the "Cat Pounce Cafe" after being checked and chipped etc. My very first cat was a big (20lb) black male cat, though he came to me as a teeny 6 week old kitten. I'm partial to black cats. I had to ask about a black cat, mostly out of curiosity. The caregiver (worker, attendant ?) found her hiding in a cabinet behind a litter box and brought her to me. Shy but let me pet her for a while, but then returned to her hiding place. Came out a few times, but clearly was scared. So I did what you aren't supposed to do. You are suppose to adopt the friendliest, friskiest, happiest animal. I said "I'll adopt her" and I did. Her official name is The Black Rose, from a historical novel by Thomas B. Costain, made into a pretty bad movie in the 1950's or 60's. Rosey is what we call her.

Not sure what happened to her. Either lost or abandoned. Something not good, I think, because she literally gets terrified when startled. I have theories but they are pretty much made up stories.
We've made a lot of progress since that first day which she spent under the cedar chest in my bedroom. Tight squeeze. It took a while, but with the help of a flashlight and a lot of time looking, I found er. During the night she moved into what is now called Rosey's room (used to be called either the computer room or the office) and spent most of her time in a corner hiding behind a couch.

We've made a lot of progress, but she almost never comes out of this room other than to cross the hallway to the bathroom where one of the litter boxes is. After a week, she let me carry her to the living room where she'd sit with me for a few hours on the couch. Then we had our first vet visit. Took 2 days to forgive me so we took several steps back. Including a few hours under the cedar chest right after the visit. She did discover in the first living room visits that I had a plate with some treats next to an end table. She hasn't forgotten that since every morning the treats that I put out the night before are always gone in the morning. Like Santa and his cookies?

With lots of patience and love we'll get there, though I think I may be the only one who ever really sees her except for others getting a peek or two. In another week or two we'll start the trips into the living room. So she kept me pretty occupied during our unwarranted suspension. Not able to get much stitching done for now, but I'm pretty sure that is going to get started up again soon.

So here are the rest of the photos. And excuse me for being so wordy. I can't help it, I guess.

on the window sill

Rosey and I both thank you for looking!

Carole
:kitty:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Rosey: the newest furbaby to join the forum!

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

She is beautiful, and very lucky to have found such a loving and accepting home - you are the best thing that could have happened to Rosey!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
mags

Post by mags »

Oh what a sweetie. Glad you now have some feline company. I'm sure she will gain in confidence soon. :kitty:
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Aww, poor sweet thing. It’s always two steps forward and one step back when dealing with traumatized animals. Kudos to you for adopting what is usually an unadoptable animal. Good thing about being a stitcher, you have patience. That will stand you in good stead with Rosey.
Linda
agi

Post by agi »

She is so beautiful. What a fantastic person you are to take her home and try to heal her. :wub: :wub: :wub:
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

She is lovely. I hope she is very happy in her new home :)
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
sina28

Post by sina28 »

What a beautiful cat! I'm so happy for her that she has been adopted by you. Like you have said, most people would have chosen a much more friendly one. But I'm sure Rosey will open up a little more each day.
Sina
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

She is just so beautiful!

Lucky Rosey to have landed on her paws with you. If anyone can gentle her I'm sure you can! Sometimes with a very nervous animal pretending to 'ignore' her will make her curious, but I expect you know that!! :wink:
I think you did the right thing by choosing her. Otherwise she would be doomed to living in the cattery for all of her life or put down because of her nervousness. No cat that pretty deserves that. :kitty: :kitty: :kitty: :wub:
poppy

Post by poppy »

Welcome Rosey! She is very lucky to be found by you, even if she cannot believe it just yet. Looking forward to hearing all about her progress. :)
Thank you for posting, Carole!
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

wendywombat wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:48 pm She is just so beautiful!

Lucky Rosey to have landed on her paws with you. If anyone can gentle her I'm sure you can! Sometimes with a very nervous animal pretending to 'ignore' her will make her curious, but I expect you know that!! :wink:
I think you did the right thing by choosing her. Otherwise she would be doomed to living in the cattery for all of her life or put down because of her nervousness. No cat that pretty deserves that. :kitty: :kitty: :kitty: :wub:
My thoughts exactly!!! I hope that Rosey warms up to you soon!! She is absolutely beautiful!!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Welcome to the forum Miss Rosey!

She is certainly lucky to have been found by you, I agree she has landed on her paws and with you as her paw-rent I am sure she will begin to venture further and further, after all your beautiful stitching is far too great a temptation for her to resist.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Miss Rosey in the future :kitty: :kitty: :kitty:
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

That's great to hear. Always hard to see that something traumatic has happened to a cat. She looks lovely though, I do hope you come to a happy co-existence soon.

When we bought our last house, it came with a cat already in residence, called 'Little One'. He was a tiny tabby, but entirely feral living outside for his whole life. When he got trapped in the house he went utterly berserk and was quite terrifying, ripping at the walls, frothing at the mouth, jumping headlong into the window glass, screaming, that sort of thing. Anyway, the first winter we were there, he became unwell and couldn't really get out of bed. So we made up a cat tray, put it in the shed next to his bed, made up an enclosed bed to keep off drafts and put his food next to his bed. After he recovered, he actually consented to us stroking him and was OK snuggled up in front of a radiator in the house for up to 30 minutes at a time with the doors shut. The only time he saw a vet was when he was very old and riddled with arthritis and was suffering dreadfully. We managed to persuade the vet to our house to put him to sleep as he'd never go in a basket to have it done at the vet's. He was at least 17 years old at that point, possibly as old as 21.
You cannot force trust, but it can be earned, and the strangest of things can do it. Just that little bit of kindness when Little One was ill changed his behaviour to us for over a decade.

One pair of rescue cats we had were 'Jack' & 'George'. They were litter brothers with identical markings, but Jack was a handsome healthy cat while George was scraggy and looked half starved. He had severe kidney disease, which actually shortened his life to only 6 months after we got him. At the rescue centre they never saw Jack, as he was so nervous and timid while George loved everyone indiscriminately. Anyway we took them both, and they disappeared into our house on the first day, and we couldn't find them. Normal cat behaviour in a new house, so we weren't worried, just wanted to know where they were. Turned out they were under the bottom step of the stairs, accessed through the larder, and we only found them because we could hear wheezing from the bottom step. It turned out Jack was allergic to cat fur (of all the ridiculous things for a cat to be allergic to!), and an enclosed space with 2 cats in it made him wheeze like a train. Jack eventually decided I was his special friend, and would seek me out for cuddles and reassurance, always tucking his forehead under my chin and purring so hard my vision shook. He never got over his wheeziness and always sounded like a steam engine after a washing session. After about 5 years, aged 14, he succumbed to the same kidney failure his brother had. That was on 1 Jan 2009. I do miss him. A great deal.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Thank you all for your welcoming and kind words for Rosey. Thursday will be 4 weeks that I’ve had her and the only major setback was the few days after the first vet visit. Not unexpected. But she has moved from staying behind the couch and coming out only after much encouragement to being under the desk and either coming out as I enter the room or immediately after. Also is getting comfortable enough to squeak when she wants more petting. Still terrified outside her safe room and when other people are in the house. Yesterday, a neighbor and good friend came by and when she left Rosey was no where to be found. Back under the cedar chest. The good news was that,as soon as she saw me and with only a few reassuring words she came out and followed me back to her room. She now plays with her toys and especially loves attacking and tossing two specific catnip mousies.

More photos , though they are pretty much like the others once I get them up on postimage. Thank you all from me and Rosey for your encouragement. This is my first time with an adult rescue so I’m learning as I go.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

karen4bells wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:48 pm
wendywombat wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:48 pm She is just so beautiful!

My thoughts exactly!!! I hope that Rosey warms up to you soon!! She is absolutely beautiful!!!
I totally agree. Rosey is a lucky kitty, and with your love and patience, she’ll realize that soon.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

She is such a beautiful lady and I hope that soon she can once again enjoy being in the lounge with you and eventually help you with your stitching. HM Tuppy (who is currently in the dog box ofr sending stuff off my writing desk to the floor as he took a short cut to my arm chair" sends greetings to dear Rosey along with an ear rub please.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Thank you (and Rosey thanks you - from under the desk) for your kind comments. Rosey is making progress and it is slow going, but she is getting a little bit braver every day. I think. She isn't behind the couch anymore as her safe place, but has moved to under the desk and much of the time is on the couch or a chair, even when I'm not in the room. She plays with her toys and is also in the hallway outside of her room since she often bats her favorite "mousey" and another catnip toy out there and then brings them back to hide under a pillow where she can then hunt, attack and bat around again. If she hears a strange voice or someone visits, she goes straight under the desk usually. If the coast is clear she will dash into the bedroom to get under the cedar chest (clearly the safest place in the house), but comes right out after the visitor leaves when I give her some reassurance.

I'm itching to stitch and think I'm ready to try one of Mabel's embroidery creations which will be easier to carry into that room than my HAEDs which are languishing. As soon as I have something to show I will post it. I think the hardest part is done, which is the transferring (tracing) of the design on to the fabric. Someone needs to invent a way to download iron on patterns for pdf designs. Perhaps something Richard can work on? (hint, hint).

Will keep you all updated on Rosey and my stitching efforts. Thank you all again for listening!

Carole (and Rosey)
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

It sure does sound like she is warming up to you Carole, fingers crossed that she will become more comfy with you and her surroundings soon!! Love your idea about the concept of being able to download an iron on transfer :)
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Mabel Figworthy

Good to hear Rosey is getting braver, slowly but surely. A batted-away mousey is a great incentive to bravely venturing forth :-) !

As for iron-on transfers from a PDF, I can't give you a clever app for it, but I can tell you what I have done in a similar situation: print the page of the PDF that has the pattern, at the size you want it (usually 100%, but you can print larger or smaller), and in reverse if you can (if not, there will be one extra step). Get some good-quality tracing paper and an iron-on transfer pen - the one I use from Sublime Stitching (also recommended by Mary Corbet) has proved very effective. Trace the design using the iron-on pen. Iron on to your fabric as you would with any other iron-on transfer. Done :-)

If you can't reverse the print, either:
1) decide it'll work in mirror image and go ahead as above :-)
2) place the print right side down on a light-box, place the tracing paper on to and trace
3) trace the print using black pen or dark pencil, turn over this tracing, and place another piece of tracing paper on top to trace the original tracing with the iron-on pen

Hope that helps!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Mabel Figworthy

PS I wrote a bit about using that iron-on pen on FoF, if you scroll down to the end of that post.
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
poppy

Post by poppy »

Thank you for the update on Rosey, Carole. She sounds adorable. She is making progress :D
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell