2019 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

richardandtracy

Re: 2019 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

Post by richardandtracy »

Thanks for your concerns. I am taking it relatively easy, but must admit I am feeling very tired.

Over the last few days I have been trying at home to replicate what I'd be doing at work. What I was doing was sitting at a computer concentrating - which consisted of working on a program segment to copy zero thickness surfaces on a 3D model to thicken them up to give them some thickness, so things like clothes from the DAZ Studio figure animation/rendering program https://www.daz3d.com/daz_studio can be printed on my 3D printer (915 lines of code, hopefully I can get it fully debugged this evening or tomorrow). That seems to have improved my stamina, but possibly not enough to make a full day at work easy.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Thinking is harder than you, well, think. :oops: And there's the getting to work and being jostled and just being somewhere else. Sounds as if the day went pretty well, but don't push too hard and set your excellent recovery back. (Living as I do in a houseful of chaps, I know this is an issue.)
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Serinde wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:35 pm Thinking is harder than you, well, think. :oops: And there's the getting to work and being jostled and just being somewhere else. Sounds as if the day went pretty well, but don't push too hard and set your excellent recovery back. (Living as I do in a houseful of chaps, I know this is an issue.)
My sentiments exactly!! Hope you are feeling a bit better now!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

richardandtracy

The real test will be a full week next week. We have a 2 week deadline to finish the design of a fairly sophisticated spacecraft container. Doesn't help that the requirements changed while I was off and they need a dehumidifier in addition to the air conditioning, oxygen sensors,
dust sensors, helium sensors, CCTV, 10 fans and shock recorders.

Oh,, and I have to do a whole heap of analysis on 2 other boxes, one tiny, the other mind bogglingly big.

I am going to make sure nothing impacts my recovery, though.

Regards,

Richard.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

richardandtracy wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:25 pm I am going to make sure nothing impacts my recovery, though.
Don't forget that statement. Forgive me if I remind you of that, but my experience with those who carry the Y chromosome is their inability to always assess their stamina accurately. But then you are surrounded by females who will be keeping a close eye on you.

Carole
:roll:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
richardandtracy

Hrrumph.
'Bossy' is how you really meant to describe them.

And you'd be right.

Regards,

Richard
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Yeah, well, you don't want to know exactly how bossy we can be, now, do you? :doh:
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Yes Richard, don't push your luck :-)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

We females are your 'extended family' after all!! :wink: :wink:

But do take care, I expect Tracy says the same!! :lol:
richardandtracy

I know, the CSF does feel a bit like an extended family, with a family's advantages and occasional disadvantages. (Especially the nagging. Hrrumph, mutter, mutter. :wink: ) The op was 5 weeks ago today. I am feeling a great deal better than I did even last week. All the suggestions are that you shouldn't do any heavy lifting or serious twisting for 6 weeks, and at my current rate of progress that seems sensible, possibly even pushing it out to 7 weeks. Given how tired I feel at the end of a work day compared to normal, I am obviously still doing a fair bit of healing.

I really want to get to the point where I can walk the 1.5 miles to work. Need to get my fitness back and reduce the tightness of my clothes! However, I am most certainly not going to even try that before experimenting with shorter distances in 2 weeks time.

Regards,

Richard.
Mabel Figworthy

A very sensible approach!

There, no nagging :-)
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Mabel Figworthy wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:23 am A very sensible approach!

Yeah. See how easy it is? :)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Serinde wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:07 pm
Mabel Figworthy wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:23 am A very sensible approach!

Yeah. See how easy it is? :)
Simple really :roll:

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Richard I do hope you are fully recovered now, you have been through the mill.

May I have a bed by the window overlooking the meadow please?, I've popped in for recuperation - July and August were months I'd not like to repeat in a hurry, first I had a another long-term diagnosis that I was struggling to come to terms with, then I had to go to the doctor for a different thing and life went crazy, fast tracked appointments, investigations, numerous scans and finally a big operation on 21st August that I am still recovering from, hence the long enforced absence from our lovely forum.

I was prepared for the pain of the operation and the immediate recovery but wasn't prepared for just how tired I still am, it has certainly sapped all my energy, so a bed by the window watching the Unicorns frolic in the meadow would be lovely please
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:hug: :hug: :hug: Virtual hugs so that nothing hurts. Sounds like a summer that was very difficult but hoping and praying you are on the road to recovery now. Of course you can have the bed by the window overlooking the garden and meadow(all beds are by windows overlooking the garden, I'm pretty sure).
It takes so much energy to heal that it is no surprise you are very tired. Make sure you are eating enough (of the right foods) to heal. And keep us updated on your progress. Taking care of yourself now is your number one priority.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Thank you Carole, it is very much appreciated :D

I am trying to pace myself, it is so frustrating to not be able to leap up and do what needs to be done, or just doing a spot of ironing, boy that really took it out of me, I'm now looking at only ironing what really needs to be ironed instead of ironing everything.

I'll get there I'm sure.

Thank you for the gentle hugs.

Also I haven't spotted Hengst yet, I wonder if he has left the meadow to go in search of the windfalls in the orchard :D
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

and Gentle hugs from me too. A great idea to just iron what needs really needs it and maybe even 1 or 2 things that don't really need but look better for it.
I enjoy ironing sometimes and I used to catch up my DIL's basketful whenever I stayed down there. However to stand for 2 or 3 hours is a bit much these days so I don't even try to make a dent in the bile. For some years now I only iron what is necessary, I could never see the sense of ironing the sheets etc as 5 min in bed and they are rumpled. :)
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

:hug: :hug: From me as well!
It's really frustrating when you can't just do the things that you want to.
Good to hear you have delegated ironing to the 'If I must' corner.
In the past I have used the 'Accomplish something whenever I have to move' strategy. When I visited the bathroom, kitchen, any other room at all. I would take something that needed to be moved nearer it's destination. Once there, you do the same for items that need to be moved to other rooms. The move may not be completed in one go, but it works in the end. You can even blow dust off something as you pass by :D It's like a game of chess, making every move count.
Meanwhile, pile all your favourite things near you. Have a messy corner to enjoy 8)
:tea: :coffee: :cake: :choc: :wine: :stitching: :coffebreak: :wip:
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Thank you Jilly for the hugs, it is much appreciated :D

That is a great strategy :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:

I now have a basket at the bottom of the stairs to take more than one thing upstairs and a small tub with the remote control, phone, tissues etc., to take with me when I move from my reading chair to my stitching chair.

What a great place this is, we help each other in all sorts of ways, not only stitching :whoop:
Mabel Figworthy

Sorry to hear about your rough summer! I like the strategies you've already got in place, and Jilly has added some more to that - hope the rest of the recovery is smooth, and that the fatigue will soon wear off.
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page