And what did you get for stashmas?

For members who want to join in an exchange of cards, bookmarks,biscournes and other fun stitching and sharing.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Serinde

Re: And what did you get for stashmas?

Post by Serinde »

tiffstitch wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:08 pm Yay Stashmas! Thank you Serinde for all the lovely things. The charts are perfect, and I was hoping to get some Arelate Studio designs before she retires in the next little bit. Also, I haven't tried the Etoile yet, so thank you for those as well. :) The bookmark and card are gorgeous ( in Sophia's words as well). Thank you very much!

I should also have said that the fabric is Juliana (cotton) 28ct, Brittney (evenweave) 28ct, and Annabelle (linen-look cotton, ice blue) 28ct. Sort of like an off-kilter Girl Band... :doh:
kaliii

Post by kaliii »

Kuschelschaf, I'm glad you liked my little selection! I thought and hoped that from what I know of you, these things are a match. Glad I got it right. Yes, Hachez chocolate is extra yum! It's like Lindt, kind of. I can devour it, too.

What I think is a bonus of Stashmas: I wouldn't have gotten myself any of the things I got as a gift. 1) I'm not going travel to Colorado or the States any time soon (maybe in 5 years when the boys are older), and if I did I wouldn't have known of any local designer, hence would not have come across them and missed out on some beautiful stitching items.

Plus; Sojourner: I clicked on your profile (Sorry, I'm curious, but I saw that you're a male stitcher, my son does embroidery too, and so I like the fact). From your profile - like on Wikipedia, when you click from one article link to another - I came to a post somewhere that mentions embroidery of Helen Stevens and how stunning it is -- guess what! I researched it, found it really is and ordered a book. What an inspiring platform this is. Sorry, I'm a rare guest, but my heart is on the forum though I don't write much. And believe me, I aprreciate its existence a lot.
Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

kaliii wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:14 pm Plus; Sojourner: I clicked on your profile (Sorry, I'm curious, but I saw that you're a male stitcher, my son does embroidery too, and so I like the fact). From your profile - like on Wikipedia, when you click from one article link to another - I came to a post somewhere that mentions embroidery of Helen Stevens and how stunning it is -- guess what! I researched it, found it really is and ordered a book. What an inspiring platform this is. Sorry, I'm a rare guest, but my heart is on the forum though I don't write much. And believe me, I aprreciate its existence a lot.
Yes, Helen Stevens is very inspirational stitcher - I love her freestyle butterflies and flowers. On the subject of men embroiderers, I sometimes get some strange looks, especially as I take some work to do during flights and airport waits - one Spanish man at a hostal in Burgos said, " Huh, I thought only women did that..." So much for his knowledge of the world :lol:
I also do a lot of "men's work" :lol: such as making things from wood and metal, and of course there are many talented ladies doing the same things.
WIP: Van Gogh "Fishing Boats", Another Bayeux scene
kaliii

Post by kaliii »

Hey Sojourner!

Ah, it's always the same. As soon as people see something unsual and they maybe can't place it, they have all kinds of thoughts. My boy is a pretty regular rascal otherwise as well, that's why I'm actually glad when he takes a time out from shouting, jumping and doing mischief and sits on the couch with me. :)
It's probabyl the image embroidery has: you think of an old lady, or a homely farm girl maybe.... Good that there are all these stitchers in the world that don't adhere to a common image.
Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Hi Kaliii - well, the stitching does keep me from shouting, jumping up and down (except when I make a mistake, and have to undo stuff :cry: ) and doing mischief - I actually prefer a hard upright chair rather than the couch, which belongs to her ladyship(s) - wife and cat!
Keep stitching :D
WIP: Van Gogh "Fishing Boats", Another Bayeux scene
kaliii

Post by kaliii »

Good that it has the same effect on you! :) Well, I'm glad he's still small enough to cuddle up with mommy on the cozy sofa, one day that will be over... time for a solid chair then! I enjoy every minute of our common hobby.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I remember one of my male patients whilst recovering from a heart attack doing the most beautiful embroidery. He was looked at with horror by some of the other men in the ward, but thankfully he didn't stop, even after recovery and discharge.

Why should we be pushed into 'male' & 'female' hobbies just because it doesn't fit the 'norm' ???

Sorry to leap into the Stasmas post with this! :doh:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Quite so, WW. Both men and women have been embroiderers, historically, so what's the fuss? :idea:
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Serinde wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:36 pm I should also have said that the fabric is Juliana (cotton) 28ct, Brittney (evenweave) 28ct, and Annabelle (linen-look cotton, ice blue) 28ct. Sort of like an off-kilter Girl Band... :doh:
Thank you. I did know one was Annabelle as I have a piece of that from a "taster pack" of fabric, but didn't know what the other 2 were, besides they looked maybe like linen. :)