Why hello! Life & a Finish

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Squirrel

Re: Why hello! Life & a Finish

Post by Squirrel »

It looks awesome and you are flying ahead with it at great speed. Well Done. :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Looks really good!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: and also :wave: Welcome back. I have made many many afghans over the years and have never really figured out what to do with the fringe so have just pretty much left them as is. Yours is beautiful. I hope you are feeling better soon and thank you for the work you do. I'm sure it has been stressful and :x: that things are slowing down a little bit for you. Hope you will be able to stay for a while too.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

rcperryls wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 2:31 pm :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: and also :wave: Welcome back. I have made many many afghans over the years and have never really figured out what to do with the fringe so have just pretty much left them as is. Yours is beautiful. I hope you are feeling better soon and thank you for the work you do. I'm sure it has been stressful and :x: that things are slowing down a little bit for you. Hope you will be able to stay for a while too.

Carole
Thank you so much Carole, and I hope to get through all the stress soon. Last week was pretty tough. I'm happy to say, that I have finished hand-tying every tassel tonight. I can now call this ABSOLUTELY 100% done. Now the trick is how to display it. It'll probably drape over that rocking chair for a while. My house doesn't have a ton of amazing places for display, and the house is quite dark.

Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

A true masterpiece. Very well done.
Lyudmila
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Superb finish! So good to see this one finished as I remember admiring it in the earlier stages. 8)
I love the knotted fringe edging. :applesauce: :applesauce:
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

It looks gorgeous, and that's a lovely way of displaying it!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
fccs

Post by fccs »

Wow! It’s gorgeous!!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Many of the afghans that I stitched were gifts and I know some have been used quite a bit (they wash really well.) The ones I have kept are displayed either over a chair like you have done or on a couch. One of the things that I love about doing afghans is that they don't have to be framed.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
debupnorth

Post by debupnorth »

Beautiful work on the fringe/corners, and, of course, the stitching. :applesauce:
I'm an obsessive fan of alphabets and this one looks familiar. Can I ask where it's from?
Deb

Currently stitching:
Twelve Days of Christmas, Vanessa-Ann Collection 1991
The Prairie Schooler annual Santa's 1984-2012
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Your wonderful stitching is now highlighted beautifully by the oh so neat and even tassled border, A HUGE WEDDL DONE :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

Podolyanka wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:51 am A true masterpiece. Very well done.
wendywombat wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:49 am Superb finish! So good to see this one finished as I remember admiring it in the earlier stages. 8)
I love the knotted fringe edging. :applesauce: :applesauce:
Aww shucks thanks.
Mabel Figworthy wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:09 am It looks gorgeous, and that's a lovely way of displaying it!
Honestly it's just going to chill on the rocking chair until I have a better spot. That's definitely not going to be the permanent resting spot, but at the moment it is safe from the dogs xD
fccs wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:05 pm Wow! It’s gorgeous!!
rcperryls wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:19 pm Many of the afghans that I stitched were gifts and I know some have been used quite a bit (they wash really well.) The ones I have kept are displayed either over a chair like you have done or on a couch. One of the things that I love about doing afghans is that they don't have to be framed.

Carole
This one I'd be a bit hesitant to "use" it, I have to be careful about display because both dogs are jumpers on the furniture xD
debupnorth wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:55 pm Beautiful work on the fringe/corners, and, of course, the stitching. :applesauce:
I'm an obsessive fan of alphabets and this one looks familiar. Can I ask where it's from?
I've shared where to buy the leaflet before! Right now I can find at least 3 copies on Ebay. This one is the least expensive, but all three were under $10.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Floral ... SwKKpemMJb

I would add, that the display picture shows a very densely stitched finish, as if it was 3 strand on a 14count. I feel that the display picture is a bit deceiving, as I had to double the pattern size to fill the blocks as is. I used 2 threads over 2, and honestly I can say I much prefer the look of the afghan showing through underneath, it gives it a more delicate look. My only guess is they used 3-4 threads for coverage in the display picture, because it just looks so dense.

The afghan used either has very small blocks, or it's quite large, as it is a 5x7 with 35 blocks. I stitched mine on a 4x7, for 28 blocks. I hope that makes sense compared to the picture. It was a roadblock I had to figure out (answer being doubling the pattern). It was more confusing because they suggested stitching over 2, instead of 1. Anyways, it is a beautiful pattern either way.
Squirrel wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:40 am Your wonderful stitching is now highlighted beautifully by the oh so neat and even tassled border, A HUGE WEDDL DONE :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
:wub: :wub: :wub:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

It is a beautiful finish, and you have every right to be so proud of it. Keep it on display and away from doggy paws! :lol: :lol:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

It is beautiful. Worth saying again. What fabric did you use for the afghan? I've used Anne Cloth, Lady Elizabeth Cloth and my favorite which is Charles Craft. I appreciate your not wanting to wash them. Since mine routinely get cat hair on them (though Rosey doesn't sit on most furniture like all my other cats have done. A few favorites, but not much. Anyway, I have tossed them in the washing machine on the gentle cycle and then air dried in the dryer. I stitched sports themed afghans for two of my grandsons and they took them with on chilly nights for soccer and baseball games and my daughter also washed them regularly. Not suggesting that you do it, but if for some reason you do need to, I hope this information makes it slightly less nerve wracking. I was a basket case the first time.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

rcperryls wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:32 pm It is beautiful. Worth saying again. What fabric did you use for the afghan? I've used Anne Cloth, Lady Elizabeth Cloth and my favorite which is Charles Craft. I appreciate your not wanting to wash them. Since mine routinely get cat hair on them (though Rosey doesn't sit on most furniture like all my other cats have done. A few favorites, but not much. Anyway, I have tossed them in the washing machine on the gentle cycle and then air dried in the dryer. I stitched sports themed afghans for two of my grandsons and they took them with on chilly nights for soccer and baseball games and my daughter also washed them regularly. Not suggesting that you do it, but if for some reason you do need to, I hope this information makes it slightly less nerve wracking. I was a basket case the first time.

Carole
This was a Charles Craft. I'm not sure I'd use it again, it was a very loose weave and prone to snagging and 100% acrylic. It's soft but a weird feel at times.

I acquired another afghan in aida from someone destashing, not sure of the company, with 21 blocks (spaced every other) with no borders. I don't particularly like the lack of border threads on it to determine the edges.

But that's only 2 kinds, and I'm sure there's others out there I may like more.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

That is interesting what you say about the Charles Craft fabric. I found it just the opposite. It was definitely heavier than the other fabrics, but I found the weave to be tighter and much easier to stitch on. I was even able to use the fabric in between the blocks. The one I used was the adult sized afghan fabric (18 ct) with the blocks around the sides and a huge big area in the middle so I was able to do a lot of bigger designs in the center. But it has been years since I stitched on any afghan fabric and it may have changed significantly in that time.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

rcperryls wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:27 pm That is interesting what you say about the Charles Craft fabric. I found it just the opposite. It was definitely heavier than the other fabrics, but I found the weave to be tighter and much easier to stitch on. I was even able to use the fabric in between the blocks. The one I used was the adult sized afghan fabric (18 ct) with the blocks around the sides and a huge big area in the middle so I was able to do a lot of bigger designs in the center. But it has been years since I stitched on any afghan fabric and it may have changed significantly in that time.

Carole
Oh yes definitely different Afghans. Mine was 14ct, all divided by blocks, no large middle. I thought about stitching a border in the inbetween areas, but decided not too. But it was a very, very loose weave.
debupnorth

Post by debupnorth »

CuriousKitty wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:29 am
debupnorth wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:55 pm I'm an obsessive fan of alphabets and this one looks familiar. Can I ask where it's from?
I've shared where to buy the leaflet before! Right now I can find at least 3 copies on Ebay. This one is the least expensive, but all three were under $10.
Thanks for posting the link w/picture. I was right, it is in with the MANY alphabet charts stashed away to maybe do someday.... when I need a change from 12 Days of Christmas ornaments. :?
Deb

Currently stitching:
Twelve Days of Christmas, Vanessa-Ann Collection 1991
The Prairie Schooler annual Santa's 1984-2012
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

debupnorth wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:20 pm
CuriousKitty wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:29 am
debupnorth wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:55 pm I'm an obsessive fan of alphabets and this one looks familiar. Can I ask where it's from?
Thanks for posting the link w/picture. I was right, it is in with the MANY alphabet charts stashed away to maybe do someday.... when I need a change from 12 Days of Christmas ornaments. :?
Clearly Christmas never ends xD