Floss Storage

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

pixxie

Floss Storage

Post by pixxie »

Does anyone have any tips for the best way to store floss? currently I have everything in a basket but I'm worried that they're going to get tangled as I start using them again. Currently can't afford to spend a lot so any diy tips would help. :)
WIPS:
Dimensions Petite: Beguiling Tiger
Fizzy Moon - Bunny

Future Projects:
Dimensions Petite: Wolf
Dimensions Petite: Leopard Cub

2020 Completed:
Dimensions Petit: Cosy Cub
Trouble and Squeak Mice Series
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Floss Storage

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Have a look at this thread which is all about storage, it may give you some ideas. I use those flat bobbins (plastic not cardboard) in plastic (and some wooden) bobbin boxes for anything stranded, and some not too expensive little chests of drawers for my skeins of crewel wool.

Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I use the same type of plastic boxes for the threads I have "bobinated". Threads that are still in their original skein I either put in a baggy

or in groups sorted by the DMC number which I keep on big rings.
That way when a bobbin of that color is used up, I can go to the bag where extra skeins of that color (if I have extras of that color) are and then wind them on the bobbin. This was pretty simple when I started this system decades ago. Has gotten a bit more cumbersome as my stash grows.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

My system is like Carole's the plastic boxes and bags of the spares in their colour groups, I keep any of the original Anchor threads ina separate box.

As for the thicker threads used in hardanger etc they are either in boxes or small containers. I must get back to doing some of that one of these days maybe :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

I stick to storing by colours. 10 DMC storage boxes with plastic bobbins, of which :#1- a work box(threads kitted for the WIP or two WIPs), #2- Anchor threads, #3- new DMC threads, #4 -green, # 5- blue, #6 -yellow and white, #7- terracotta and light brown, #8 -dark brown, dark grey and black, #9-red and pink, #10- violet.
Lyudmila
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

I stick to storing by colours. 10 DMC storage boxes with plastic bobbins, of which :#1- a work box(threads kitted for the WIP or two WIPs), #2- Anchor threads, #3- new DMC threads, #4 -green, # 5- blue, #6 -yellow and white, #7- terracotta and light brown, #8 -dark brown, dark grey and black, #9-red and pink, #10- violet.
Would you be kind enough to explain the advantages you find storing by color versus number? I honestly can't think of a single one! I'm starting my first 'big' project (114 colors) and am in the process of choosing a organization system. Also, why don't bobbin storage boxes list how many bobbins they hold? Maybe because it depends on how many someone might jam in?

Thanks Podo
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Hello Podo, I am one of those storing by colour - partly because I think it looks nicer :-) partly because I'm sad enough to know most of the DMC numbers so if a chart mentioned 319 I'd know to look for a dark green, but also because I tend to stitch my own designs, and picking colours is easier when the boxes are arranged by colour rather than number. Other people may have other reasons of course!
The important thing, as with so many aspects of embroidery, is to do what works for you; even if (as I have done on occasion) you can see all the arguments people put forward, and you acknowledge their way is "better" - if it simply doesn't feel comfortable to you, you're never going to be happy with it!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Deleted duplicate
Last edited by wendywombat on Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I store by number. Reason...some of the colours don't fall into colour category easily. For instance when a designer described a colour as brown/ grey and another as grey /brown where does it go? :tizzy:
I have a small drawer system which house all the spare duplicate threads. The number system works well but I do try to loosely bundle the colours together. That's when I see that storing in colour only how complicated it can be. All the threads on bobbins in the compartment boxes are in numerical order.
In other words you have to decide what works best for you.
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Wendy, they both go into my box #8 with dark brown, dark grey and black threads. :D

To answer Podo's question.
Like Mable, I also remember nearly all numbers of the DMC and I have nearly all- at least I can start any project any minute without rushing to a shop. Then I may buy more threads of some colours, if needed, of course.
I cannot understand how sorting by numbers can be convenient. I have always been sorting by colours.
What for does one need to know how many bobbins one has in the box?

Podo, for 114 colours you need one DMC thread storage box. Or two.
As for an organizing system, it has to work for you. This is the only criterium.
Lyudmila
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I've always sorted by number -- but I don't design in cross stitch and search for thread according to the design's list of numbers, so that makes sense to me. I am slowly building up towards having all the DMC colours... :shifty: and seem to have acquired an enormous box of Anchor threads which are organised pretty much by colour (but I have a new use for them possibly as warp and weft on an inkle loom -- apparently they are strong enough; just have to borrow another inkle loom -- which will use them up in double quick time, I should think). The few silk threads I have are in one box and organised by manufacturer, and I don't have a lot of colour in those, anyway, as they're used either for blackwork or hardanger. As everyone has said, organisation has to work for you ultimately. And you may change your mind in the future. It is allowed. :D
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

I agree with you, Serinde, and will add that a beginner does not choose any orgamizational system, the system is the matter of time and habits - after the first hectar of cross stitch I "discovered" my "system"- the ways and habits that follow a project.
Lyudmila
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

:lol: I've never considered embroidery in terms of acreage before! :lol: I think you may be on to something there. :wip:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Podolyanka wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:41 am I agree with you, Serinde, and will add that a beginner does not choose any orgamizational system, the system is the matter of time and habits - after the first hectar of cross stitch I "discovered" my "system"- the ways and habits that follow a project.
I agree! My system, which would probably sound and look convoluted to most anyone else, especially with the multiple projects I have in different stages of progress (or not progress), started out simply and kind of slowly grew to one which makes sense to me. I do keep DMC, Silk (I don't have a lot), and other threads separate, and try to keep them by number whenever possible.

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Serinde,
Each full -size(2.30x 1.60 metre) tablecloth has a centre and four corners- roughly 5 sometimes really large pictures. Now I have stitched more than 90 such tablecloths alone. Add here all the towels (1 picture each), tablerunners(2 or 3 large pictures each- just remember two Tea and Coffee Time) and pictures proper. I wont die of modesty, but I think I have the right to speak about cross stitch in terms of acrage. :D .
Lyudmila
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I suspect you have stitched a modest size Scottish Croft! :D
Gypsy57

Post by Gypsy57 »

I literally just tie mine into bows and shove them into a plastic zip bag... :oops:
It's a habit I haven't gotten out of for years!