Quick daily posts

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

fccs

Re: Quick daily posts

Post by fccs »

Mabel Figworthy wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:08 pm
wendywombat wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:54 pm :lol: But you have cats, Richard.... therefore once the girls up and leave your house still won't be your own....it belongs to those Fabulous Felines! @rotfl: @rotfl: :kitty: :kitty:
Yes but at least they purr amiably at you and then go off and do their own thing :-)
One of the many reasons why I love cats! In fairness, I also love dogs - you can leave the room and come back ten seconds later and they are happy to see you, as if you've been gone for years.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Well, one of the things I really appreciate about our current clutch of cats is that they quite like to see us. Not like old Albert (my avatar) who was just as likely to swear long and hard at you as he was to sit on a lap. He hated rain, always sat out in it and swore at us for not changing the weather when he wanted it changed. We were often subject to his swear-ups. He sat foresquare in the living room, facing the sofa, head level with his shoulders and yowled at us, putting in so much effort in that he lent forward and rose onto his toes every time he swore at us, and did so for up to 5 minutes before getting it off his chest. We always felt very chastened after he'd insulted us, our children, our children's children, our parents, grand parents, and the rest of the human race. Individually. He was very thorough in making sure no-one was left out.

I do know that the house won't be entirely ours once the girls go, but the cats are just so adorable we can't complain about them...

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
fccs

Post by fccs »

Ha! Albert sounds pretty amazing.

Jackson is more like a dog, I think because he grew up with dogs. He will come when I call him more often than not. He greets me at the door. He goes right up to people who might be here fixing things, sure he can help.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

So the cats are more adorable than the girls, are they Richard? Do your daughters read the Forum :-) ?

Doing a virtual baking session with my best friend in the Netherlands this morning, to compensate for the fact that this is the first time in over 25 years of friendship that we won't have seen each other in real life for over a year :-(
At the moment we're in between sessions as the dough is proving :-)
We're making Challah, mine cinnamon and hers choc chip. And we're both going to attempt the four-stranded round braid :shock:
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

Yes & no respectively Mabel.
Everyone in our household is fully aware of the relative positions of cats & humans in the pecking order. Humans are not the dominant species in the view of any of us.

Debby, Albert was, erm, unusual. OK, he was a one-off. It's not every cat that launches unprovoked attacks Doberman's and Alsatians (German Shepherd Dogs) for the simple pleasure of it, as he did. Or is terrified by a small frog. I have never come across another cat like him, or even remotely like him. The only fictional equivalent I have come across is 'Greebo' in Terry Pratchett's Disc World series.

Regards,

Richard.
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

:x:
Mabel Figworthy wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:21 am We're making Challah, mine cinnamon and hers choc chip. And we're both going to attempt the four-stranded round braid :shock:
That's so cool that you and your besty baked together virtually, Mabel. How did it turn out?

I made some for the first time a couple weeks back, which was a feat because we don't eat eggs -- finally found someone on YouTube who had reworked the recipe using Just Egg (a wonderful, wonderful product made from mung beans!). I did the four-stranded braid too, which was fun. How long did you knead your dough, btw? I think I underkneaded mine... I 'knead' to try again and your post has inspired me to do so.

Sahari
Mabel Figworthy

Mine was slightly challenged by me forgetting to put the yeast in...

I'd been measuring out some of the ingredients in advance, and then added others while we were on video call, and somehow the yeast got left out :lol: In an absolute first I then kneaded it in almost at the end of the first prove, and left it for a bit longer. It came out all right, I'm happy to say!

This particular recipe said to knead for 7 minutes which I thought was far too short, so I did it for about 15 mins which is my usual time.

Also note to self and others - the lady who did the video for the cinnamon version put hers in a straight plait, and because of the wetness of the filling that would have been a better idea than this four-stranded round braid, which was slightly undercooked and soggy right in the middle (I'd still use the round braid for a "dry" bread). All the rest tasted lovely so that was fine :-)
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Mabel Figworthy wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:08 pm
wendywombat wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:54 pm :lol: But you have cats, Richard.... therefore once the girls up and leave your house still won't be your own....it belongs to those Fabulous Felines! @rotfl: @rotfl: :kitty: :kitty:
Yes but at least they purr amiably at you and then go off and do their own thing :-)
But then they do come back and start ordering you about. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Carole
:kitty:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mabel Figworthy

Here are my friend and I showing off our breads. We ate far too much of ours!

WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

What a lovely thing to do.

Regards,

Richard.
fccs

Post by fccs »

Richard, I haven’t read any of Terry Pratchett’s books, but now I think I must so I can learn about Greebo.

Mabel, your baked goods look yummy! What a fun idea, too.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
richardandtracy

Debby, the best one featuring Greebo is 'Witches Abroad'. It's a re-working of the Cinderella story, but not as you'd know it, with all sorts of other things thrown into the mix.

Regards,

Richard.
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

All this black stitching is making me a tad crazy. :rain: The little tiny specs of the aida showing through has me reworking stitches and the blackness makes it difficult for me to find the top threads so snagging ensues, leading to frogging, leading to craziness. :silenced: I'm thinking that in the future, full cover projects that have this much black would be better stitched on black aida, using a light source behind the frame.

On the upside, I'm already 1251 stitches in on my Lovely Butterbur.

Mabel, that bread looks good enough to eat! I do knead our sourdough bread 15 minutes too but thought that'd be too much for such a dryer dough. You and your friend do look like you're cut from the same cloth. Destiny friends I call that. :hug:

Sahari
poppy

Post by poppy »

Your baking look delicious, Mabel. What a fantastic idea!
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
richardandtracy

Shari, when working with black fabric, the light needs to be good on both sides, not just the back.

Regards,

Richard.
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

richardandtracy wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:03 pm Shari, when working with black fabric, the light needs to be good on both sides, not just the bac
Thanks Richard, I do realize that. I should have said 'in addition to' my top light. ~Sahari
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

wendywombat wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:13 am
as we are rationing our bread supplies.
Is flour hard to come by where you are? We've been stockpiling a bit because I'm worried it will get that way here... I haven't bought a loaf of bread in over two years I think. And I bake sourdough so I don't need to worry about the yeast supply.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

See! I'm away at a wedding on Friday, and everything happens here! Yes, since you ask, a lovely wedding; small, of course, but in a beautiful situation and every chap -- and I mean just about every chap except 2 old gentlemen and a baby-- were kilted, of course, and even the baby had tartan trews. Younger Son did his Best Man thing very well, too, so everyone happy.

@Mabel, the bread looks scrummy. Never made that sort, so I might give it a try.

@Sahari, bread flour was scarce on store shelves in the spring in the UK, but not because there wasn't any flour. It was an issue of bagging it up for household use instead of wholesale for bakeries. As a result, it's now possible to get large (4kg) sacks from one of our larger supermarkets, which simply means you need to find a way to store it. But I might suggest that you buy a bit extra if there's a particular type of flour that is usually difficult to source.I bought 2 x 1kg bags of Hovis Granary the other day -- haven't seen that in my Tesco for yonks. Win! :lol:
Mabel Figworthy

Glad to hear the wedding went so well - it all sounds very lovely and very Scottish (which are practically synonyms anyway, of course :-) )

The bread was definitely a winner despite the late addition of yeast, but the round braid is too thick for something with this wet filling, so next time I'll do a plain plait as the lady suggested in her video. If you want the recipe give a shout.
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Mabel Figworthy

I follow a podcast where two guys, Adam and Chris, discuss modern technology and faith - this time one of them tried to describe crochet to the other (don't ask...)

Adam: "It's kinda like knitting, I think."
Chris: "I think they're different right?"
Adam: "Knitting has straight needles and crocheting has like a hooked needle."
Chris: "Oh my gosh how do you know this?"
Adam: "You might just have one needle or maybe you have two needles, and you end up with a scarf, basically."

@rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl:
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page