What a night

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

wendywombat

What a night

Post by wendywombat »

:tizzy: :shock:
What a night as Storm Arwen struck!
We haven't ventured outside yet to see but we have lost a slate from the roof and a large piece of metal was blown off the half constructed house next door from the scaffolding. We think it hit the shed. Our newly built shed has moved off it's base slightly and the back wall has come away from it at the corner.
Update later when we've been out to look.
Trees down everywhere, one of our neighbours have a large oak tree and one branch is down over the road.
Steam.Jo

Re: What a night

Post by Steam.Jo »

So long as you are all ok that is what is important. Sounds like your shed is recoverable and hopefully you won't find any other damage.

We've had nothing much: My morning breakfast queue (of birds) clearly do not like it out there and all I had was two Dunnocks standing Lee side of one of my flower pots looking longingly towards me as I opened the curtains.

When I first moved here at the end of my garden was the open agricultural fields and the wind used to whistle across it and cause constant damage in the garden. But when my neighbour brought the land he didn't bother to do anything with it and thanks to the squirrels planting acorns everywhere there is now 30 foot high Oak trees his side of the boundary. So I have lost my lovely view but I rarely get damage.

(Trees down means free wood for the log fire :wink: )

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

It certainly was a wild night, even over here in the West, though it did quieten down eventually. Still very blowy -- we're under a yellow weather warning for wind until 6pm, last I knew. But no snow or much rain, to be honest. Dunno about damage, as I've not yet been out. I expect we've had slates move, too. A house down the street is being re-slated... :( . I should think our neighbours didn't have a restful night. :neutral: Fingers crossed for the veteran oak in the park, although Arwen wasn't as strong as some storms we've had in the past that have damaged trees here. The new greenhouse is still standing! :dance:
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Glad to hear you are all safe. Sounds pretty horrific on the news.

Down at this corner of the country, it's sporadically breezy, with absolute calm between. Hardly possible to get more of a contrast. We have been under a snow warning, but it expired without seeing even any sleet or more than spotty rain showers.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

So glad to hear that you came through this safe and and relatively sound. I just read a news report and if you were here and the season was right, that would be a Cat 1 or 2 hurricane. I've been through too many of those.

Hope that no trees fell on anyone's home. It's beautiful to have big and lovely trees around but not when they come down in a storm. Also hope that the fact you could post means that you haven't lost power. Always a bad thing, but worse in winter, especially if you depend on it for heat. I'm not sure how I feel about the tendency to name all storms these days. It does make it easier to talk an individual storm, but it isa bit overwhelming when they use up the whole alphabet. This year hurricane season only made it to W(Wanda). Only 3 more days and we can put it behind us. Now it's time for the winterized versions.

Hope you don't find much more damage to your new home. Take care while patching it up.

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

We have survived pretty well unscathed.
Several slates off the roof, they were supposed to be mailed on but I guess the roofers were in a hurry and ran out of nails. :doh: or it was home time. :thinks:
The shed loos pretty terminal but perhaps can be rebuilt.
Just been outside this afternoon to clean some of the windows. They were opaque with dirt blown from the building site. We did find some of the newly laid turf had rolled back by the fencing. It's still quite breezy but all in all everything is fine.
Certainly now have much mor appreciation of what a hurricane is like.
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Power went out here from 4pm yesterday and only just came back on at half 2 this afternoon! Tree down in garden and greenhouse door blown off and smashed.
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Must have been scary. Hope you can get it all cleared up without too many problems. Now you have a heap of firewood, just need to process it.. :lol:

Regards

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
fccs

Post by fccs »

That sounds scary but I’m glad you all escaped with relatively little damage…especially to the house itself and you. Hopefully the shed can be saved, but most important is the fact that you are safe.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

So glad to know that you are all OK. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Glad everyone's ok. We had a bit of damage to garden furniture (big teak bench upended into the wooden table, but nothing that glue won't cure so I'm told).

@Nicola: Yipes! Sorry about the greenhouse, but glad power was eventually restored. You were in good company, if the news is correct, but glad it's solved now.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Somehow missed this thread - golly, that weather was far too exciting :shock:

I like the snow at the moment though... :snowman:
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

We woke up to a dusting, too, which was very pleasant for the first Sunday in Advent. Lots of tidying still to be accomplished after Thanksgiving, but at least we have a bit of turkey left over (bit being the operative word -- since the turkey was more like a Rambo chicken). Still did the trick and was easier to deal with, frankly.