HAED Seasons

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Steam.Jo

Re: HAED Seasons

Post by Steam.Jo »

Finally I have done enough that I can identify this bit on the original photograph:

I had been worrying with it seeming a bit dark if it was the right piece :lol:

Jo

P.S. The colours look better in natural daylight :roll:
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Flowers! Do I see flowers? :dance:
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Definitely a picture emerging!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

It always takes time to see an image with an HAED and its so cool when it happens. It is looking lovely!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

There have been a number of HAED's where I have been concerned about the accuracy of their software's thread colour selection. And I have been most concerned at the extremes of brightness.

I think it's down to their earlier software having what I would call a 'Generic thread colour definition file'. On my own software I used the same colour definition file to begin with - as far as I could trace it back, it seemed to be an unofficial DMC release dating to 2009 or earlier. However, I did find that there were colours where the digital representation was quite different from the actual thread colours my eyes saw (and I know everyone sees colours differently, but this was beyond what I was expecting). The original thread definition file used by HAED had black with an RGB value of 0/0/0 and white as 255/255/255, with all intermediate colours expanded to fill the range. Having Black & White at 0/0/0 and 255/255/255 is patently wrong as no threads absorb or reflect 100% of impinging light. It has a couple of effects.
  1. Making almost all colours appear darker when stitched and loosing detail in the darkest areas.
  2. Because most real thread brightnesses are less than 128/128/128, the colours had to be shifted more to the lighter end, so expanding the darker end more than the lighter end, and making more colours convert to black than should be done.
  3. Artificially reducing the range of colours in the mid range (as the colours have been expanded away from the middle)
  4. In some images, making green threads seem good substitutes for browns when they are not.
As a result in 2018, I went & took a photo of all the threads in the 2017 real thread colour card in one photo, corrected for a slight colour cast and vignetting by writing a special to purpose one-off colour correction program and developed my own colour definition file. This seems to give somewhat different results from the HAED conversions and looses less detail in the darkest of colour areas. The very brightest points of an image may loose detail a little after conversion in my program, but I think the RMS error between an original photo and the stitched result is considerably reduced.

So, I'm sorry to say that I am not actually surprised you're finding the HAED a bit dark if it's an older conversion. I simply don't know the state of their current software, whether it's any better or not.

Ignoring the HAED colours, I think your work on this is absolutely spot on. the stitches are lovely & even and the picture is emerging. Really good.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Is that why I can hardly see my HAED squirrel on my HAED tree? (the eye of faith is a wonderful thing, but I was disappointed...)

Nevertheless, Jo's stitching is marvellous.
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Serinde wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:48 pm Is that why I can hardly see my HAED squirrel on my HAED tree? (the eye of faith is a wonderful thing, but I was disappointed...)

Nevertheless, Jo's stitching is marvellous.
I fear it may be the case that it was the HAED charting that was the problem.

But yes, Jo's stitching is enviable.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation