Jo's Stitching 2023

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Steam.Jo

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by Steam.Jo »

I believe our little Bumble is a Buff tailed or Queen Heath bumblebee. These short tongued Queen bees can be found on flowers such as clovers, heathers and thistles. What is interesting is that the workers being smaller visit different flowers than their Queens, for example they visit brambles, ragworts and scabiouses.

I have continued stitching round the corner and have stitched the last flower and found another butterfly. Based on it being yellow and is feeding on a red clover I believe today butterfly is a male Clouded Yellow.

(I am stretching my imagination a bit as the colour is a bit artistic :roll: )

In the meantime I can report my snitchy bug is getting frustrated as neither Very Crafty or the Chinese company have posted the stuff I ordered five days ago that are need to start the HAED :tantrum:

Jo
Last edited by Steam.Jo on Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
fccs

Post by fccs »

I love seeing this one progress. And I feel for your snitchy stitchy bug…it’s hard waiting for stitching mail.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Steam.Jo wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:22 pm In the meantime I can report my snitchy bug is getting frustrated as neither Very Crafty or the Chinese company have posted the stuff I ordered five days ago that are need to start the HAED :tantrum:
Clearly, the universe is telling you to finish your butterflies! :D 8)
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Yes, butterflies don't like being abandoned and neglected for another project! It's known as the butterfly effect - they cause chaos in your parcels at the other end of the world :lol:
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Serinde wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:56 am
Steam.Jo wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:22 pm In the meantime I can report my snitchy bug is getting frustrated as neither Very Crafty or the Chinese company have posted the stuff I ordered five days ago that are need to start the HAED :tantrum:
Clearly, the universe is telling you to finish your butterflies! :D 8)
Mabel Figworthy wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:32 am Yes, butterflies don't like being abandoned and neglected for another project! It's known as the butterfly effect - they cause chaos in your parcels at the other end of the world :lol:
Up until now I thought there weren't any cross stitch rules, but I guess the butterfly effect is one I hadn't encountered before.

Carole
:lol:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

The butterfly effect - what happens when you neglect a WIP. I like it. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

Things are looking up all three packages have (finally) shipped. :)

It looks like there is an area of woodland locally because we have a Grayling flying to the lower left:

The Grayling is often found on the ground and because it is very dark it tends to sit head pointing towards the sun so that its wings do not get too hot.

Above the Grayling is a female Meadow Brown these are one of our common butterflies that can be found in a wide range of habitats (including my conservatory :roll: ) . She is another of our butterflies which likes to sit on the ground and their colour provides good camouflage when they sit sunbathing.

Nearly there :D

Jo

Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

Our final butterfly is a male Brimstone:

Have you ever noticed that brimstones always sit with their wings closed (folded together over their backs) ? The female is a much whiter colour and easily mistaken for a large white butterfly.

The cross part of the stitching for this piece is now complete and I am now down to the backstitching. So it looks like my Stitchy bug is going to have to put up with me stitching something different for the next few days while I wait for my Very Crafty order to turn up :roll:

Jo

Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Good things come to Stitchy Bugs that wait! :king: :wip:
Mabel Figworthy

Lovely to see all your butterflies appear! I remember noting down all the butterflies and moths we saw in our garden during the first Covid lockdown in spring 2020, and we counted 16 different species (well, one of them was in our bedroom, not the garden, but we counted it anyway :-D ). Not nearly so many this year :-(
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

This butterfly design is the nicest ever. Delicate detail and I love the way you can name them all. :dance:
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

All done:

I will have to think about framing it. I have found a suitable simple bare wood frame that I could cut down to the size to fit this one. The amount of material on the bottom is is rather tight for stretching :shock: I wouldn't give Lanarte a particularly high score for this kit, it was not up to the standards of their other kits I have done.

Which leaves my stitchy bug with at least two days before I have the frame for the HAED :roll: In the meantime I have just dusted off my TW Peacock. I had been finding the metallic feathers a bit challenging last time I worked on it but after the Celestial dragon I am hoping it will not be as bad :thinks: Its a lot smaller than I remember. I could also think about finish off the No winter that I have been doing at the sewing group as I am finding working on the 25 ct evenweave without good lighting in the Village Hall a challenge on my eyes .

Jo

Roland

Post by Roland »

You’ve done a beautiful job. It makes me think of my grandson. He loves butterflies.
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

Thank you Roland,

And a big THANK YOU to Debby who sent me the Silver Creek Sampler chart earlier this year. I have just finished it:

:D

And another big THANK YOU to Sally who sent me the piece of evenweave I have stitched it onto. I will have to find a plain wood frame to mount it into.

I have been stitching this piece at our Friday Sewing group. Initially at the top I found no problem stitching without extra light or magnification but at the bottom there is that block of white and it was so much brighter than the coloured fabric behind that I was struggling. Having finished my butterflies I decided that it was a good opportunity to use my magnifier to finish off the bit at the bottom while my Stitchy bug is busy bouncing off the walls with frustration waiting for the roller frame to turn up from Very Crafty ( DHL are promising it for tomorrow but the road to the south of me is closed and one of the couriers used this as an excuse not to deliver one package :roll: )

What I have learnt is that I need to stitch pieces that use 14ct Aida at the village hall to avoid eye strain. There is also the issue that the piece needs to be simple because we spend more time chatting and :tea: :cake: than concentrating on our stitching :shock:

Jo

wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I have a clip on light with magnifier which is light enough to clip onto a small frame. It was made by Mighty Bright but when I looked up Amazon it's gone up hugely in price.!! :shock:
A friend at craft afternoon wears some magnifying glasses with LED lights in the frame.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZX5DQB5? ... 94770fde5f

They are good but have to be careful when she looks up and BLINDS US ALL!! :doh:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Both finished pieces are absolutely beautiful! Congratulations on both jobs.

Wendy, thanks for mentioning those glasses. I think I'll check them out too.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Fabulous finishes! :applesauce: :applesauce:
Mabel Figworthy

Two wonderful finishes, and what a beautiful sentiment!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
fccs

Post by fccs »

Excellent finishes, and I hope you enjoyed the Silver Creek design as much as I did.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

fccs wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:24 pm I hope you enjoyed the Silver Creek design as much as I did.
Yes I did thank you, it made a really good piece for the sewing group and always got a positive reaction from the group when they asked which piece I was stitching :)

I will have to have a rustle through my stash and choose the next piece to stitch at our group.

Jo