To grid or not to grid ...

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

jr235

Re: To grid or not to grid ...

Post by jr235 »

Not only do I grid in 10x10 in one color I also split each 10x10 into quarters. I can't count, so this is what works for me. =)
Dazbo666

Post by Dazbo666 »

Once I'd tried gridding, I found it so much easier, I realise I'll never go back :wink:

I use a fabric pen to grid the 10x10 squares, and on larger projects I often make a slightly larger mark at the edge of the project every 50 or 100 squares.
I also occasionally mark an arrow at the centre line of the project if I feel I need it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

See my Stitching Projects - LOTS of project pics updated 12 July '09

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
carolynbb

Post by carolynbb »

Zeb wrote:I don't grid because I'm super lazy... and umm... I am not too sure how.

How do you guys work out how to grid something? Do you start with your center vertical and horizontal lines then work out?
I start with the borders of the work -- most patterns are gridded so you can tell "oh this one is 10 squares wide and 15 squares tall" or whatever. So I start at the upper left and count holes, 1, 2, 3, 4...up to 10 and then make a hash mark with my (water soluble) pen. Once I have a hash mark for each square, I run the pen along a ruler to make the line.

I'll then do the same for the lefthand border, then righthand border, then bottom border.

That gives me one big rectangle, the size of the project, with hash marks at each inner square (every 10 holes). I just lay the ruler across the project to line up the opposing hash marks, and connect them with the pen.

That's it! It's a bit time consuming but it really helps, I think!
WIPs:
Cats! (last updated 3/29/12)
Random projects for baby (last updated 6/9/12)
Engagement photo (last updated 6/9/12)
stitchiemom

Post by stitchiemom »

I have not gridded with a pen, I baste to mark the center then I baste every ten squares up and over to start my project from the top. I have had too many projects come out wrong lateley if I start in the middle. I have two projects(that I know of) that are completely stitched, so I might try it with a pen to see if I like it.
Hope

WIP
HAED Wolves Peak
Garden of Eden
Magnificent Wizard

2012 Completed
Wedding Record
Zeb

Post by Zeb »

Thanks Carolyn, will be referring back to this when I start my "big project of DOOM!" :)
Zeb A.
Keep Calm and Cross Stitch
http://www.ixari.net
Katiespark

Post by Katiespark »

I've never gridded a project - hadn't even heard of it until coming here. My grandmother and mom both taught me to always start at the center of a piece and work my way outward. The only time I haven't done this was with my Teresa Wentzler Castle Sampler, but I counted about 47 times before starting at one of the outer corners, there. :wink: I agree with some of the PP who said they were too anxious to stitch to lay out the grid. Thanks for teaching me something new!
Katie
North Carolina, USA

WIPs:
Little Snap Dragon
Sweet Dreams (Anderson) -HAED
Allessandra Adelaide CT13

Recent Finishes
...yeah... about that... :lol:
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I've recently started gridding and it really does make a difference on a big project. I'm gridding as I go though for my MS design, as the pen sort of fades as I have it on a narrow scroll frame. But this is no trouble and takes no time. I count twice to prevent errors.

That is on aida though - how do you grid evenweave or linen? Just have to count the threads or is there a trick to it?? This is 28/32 count to do 2 over 2.

Niki x
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Emma1977

Post by Emma1977 »

I haven't gridded yet but then I am still working on my first ever project :D I have my first HAED lined up to start - just sorted out all the threads - and am considering gridding this as it's huge and I think it'll really help me
Finished
Fantasy Flitterflies
Ruby Wedding Sampler
Vervaco: To have and to Hold wedding sampler
"Gift from God" birth sampler
Vervaco Wedding Bouquet

W.I.P
Cinderella, Joan Elliott
Swan Fidelity
Galaxy
Dimension - Baby Express
Forever the Flagship
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

I find the middle on my chart and on my fabric.
I then mark the first line above and below the true center..that way I am sorta of starting from the center...does that make any sense
like if my center mark is 3 squares to the left of a solid line in the pattern and 5 marks below....i mark my center count the squares and place my lines...and then count ten and line ten and line vertically and horizontally.

I have ran into a problem with my My little heart b/c the lady that makes the patterns does not grid her monthly patterns evenly....

But other than that I LOVE GRIDDING.

I can rest easier and then I usually realize any mistakes sooner because it won't line up with the ten count lines instead of realizing it wayyy later and will only have to frog 5-10 stitches instead of a whole lot.
liverpoolmum

Post by liverpoolmum »

Hi there,

has anyone had a go at using the 'Easy Count Guideline' thread? It's a red nylon thread which is pulled out when your work is finished. Not the cheapest, but I was looking to grid my next piece of work (the biggest project yet for me), and was wondering whether to try a fabric pen or the thread.

Thanks!
Yvonne,aged 32,wife to Chris, and mummy to six children, aged 16 down to 2 years
Angel

Post by Angel »

I wouldn't dare use thread to grid. I'd sew it in and never be able to get it out :P
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

Angel wrote:I wouldn't dare use thread to grid. I'd sew it in and never be able to get it out :P

My fear too angel Im afraid i'd start working and forget its there.
I like the fabric pen.
Vega

Post by Vega »

has anyone had a go at using the 'Easy Count Guideline' thread? It's a red nylon thread which is pulled out when your work is finished.
I've been thinking about using this as well. Here's a website with a video about the product. They refer to it as nylon line. I'm thinking something similar to fishing line? The end shows her pulling it out of a stitched piece (not fully stitched though) and it looks like it comes out fairly easily. I have to say I've never worn a flowery dress and pearls while stitching. :roll:
helbel

Post by helbel »

I don't find sewing in the thread a problem.

I grid using cotton from a reel rather than DMC or anchor so it's highly mercerised and I make the colour very different to the main picture.

It's easy to avoid sewing in on the top side of the work but not at all on the underside, so what I end up doing when it's time to remove is snipping (carefully!) the free top threads and pulling out gently in sections.

As I only grid the middle axis (?axes?) then it's not too much of a problem.
Tallulah

Post by Tallulah »

I'm getting ready to do a big project and gridding sounds like it would be good for me. I'm a bit OCD and having that 10 block marked off to complete would really spur me on. I have never done it before but something about taking a pen and purposely drawing big lines across my beautiful linens/evenweaves kills me. I feel like I am cheapening my fabric. I am scared. LOL Also, how do you get it to be directly on the right thread? Does it really wash out. Ooooooh! I want to do it but I am scared. :shifty:
WIP
Barkhamstead Reservoir, CT - charted by skitzzzzz
Autumn - Cross Eyed Cricket
Guardian Angel - Lavender and Lace
Louise Nursing Her Child - Mary Cassatt (Cross Stitch Collectibles)
Strawberries Forever - Told in a Garden
kerbear879

Post by kerbear879 »

I've never gridded and really I think it's because I am too lazy to do it. It would just take so much time to grid out for one of my HAED's and I guess I would rather use that time stitching.
Kerri
Current WIP:
HAED Chessie-10,200 of 90,300 - 11%
HAED Catch a Falling Star-8,900 of 203,900 - 4%
HAED Wrath-46,630 of 240,000 - 19%

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kerbear879/sets/
koko

Post by koko »

Tallulah, if you use a fine point water soluble pen it should work fine. The one I used had a fine enough point to grid my 36 count linen. I used a ruler to make sure I was on the right thread for each line. I was like you, very nervous about marking the fabric, but I figured that so many people on this forum use this method, so it can't be an issue to wash the lines out or we would have heard about it :D And I have to say, it has really helped out with the counting on the big project I am working on. I haven't bothered to do the gridding on smaller projects, but the one that is over 60,000 stitches.....it has made things a lot easier!
Kim

2011 Projects:

Current:
Floral Hand-Towels
Various Christmas Cards / Presents

Long-Term WIP's:
Chatelaine Hummingbird Mandala
Dunnotar Castle - 23,718 of 60,368 stitches
kimkat_tkl

Post by kimkat_tkl »

Tallulah wrote:I'm getting ready to do a big project and gridding sounds like it would be good for me. I'm a bit OCD and having that 10 block marked off to complete would really spur me on. I have never done it before but something about taking a pen and purposely drawing big lines across my beautiful linens/evenweaves kills me. I feel like I am cheapening my fabric. I am scared. LOL Also, how do you get it to be directly on the right thread? Does it really wash out. Ooooooh! I want to do it but I am scared. :shifty:
If you're really worried about it washing out of your fabric test it first in a corner that won't be seen once the design is finished.
clockwork

Post by clockwork »

All you people who are worried about staining your fabric while gridding on it, why not grid it with very fine fishing line? I don't grid my projects because it just feels wrong to me to work off a grid, but that sounds like the best option. Just buy some colored (and they do sell it) 2lb test fishing line for really cheap, grid everything with that, and pull it out when you're done. You can't stitch through it and it won't stain your fabric. Perfectly safe.
~Clockwork~

Cute Stuff! http://www.etsy.com/shop/ClockworkStitcher" target="_blank" target="_blank"

WIPs
House Mouse series
Frog Pile
Dimensions Gold Collection Aurora Cabin (on hold)
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

clockwork wrote:All you people who are worried about staining your fabric while gridding on it, why not grid it with very fine fishing line? I don't grid my projects because it just feels wrong to me to work off a grid, but that sounds like the best option. Just buy some colored (and they do sell it) 2lb test fishing line for really cheap, grid everything with that, and pull it out when you're done. You can't stitch through it and it won't stain your fabric. Perfectly safe.

i am afriad I would get in a rush and stitch over it..with the fishing line left under the x's
or would it just pull out from under the stitches? Or with my luck it would move.