2021 Stash & Grab Virtual Pub

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Serinde

Re: 2021 Stash & Grab Virtual Pub

Post by Serinde »

As an independent group, we'd need to work out a constitution, insurance, etc., plus we would no longer be a charity. That may not be a bad thing -- no dealing with OSCR! -- but also less access to grants and sometimes higher costs for call rentals, etc. EG would be offering a "package of support" which includes a small sum of money (not a lot, considering they are sequestering the accounts of the regional branches -- all legally -- but there's a LOT of ruckus about that) and (ironically), an accounts package in Excel. We will have less access (perhaps none) to the Guild collections, but access to folios. Individuals can elect to be members of the EG (for an unknown fee), but it's unclear to me that that will give then access to ThreadIt, the "online branch" (without another fee), but it will give some discount on online courses. Now, I the Guild's online courses are good and at a reasonable price -- although who wouldn't prefer in person courses!? EG also has a well-regarded summer school, and I'm not sure what will become of that. Our Scottish Regional summer school was very popular.

*sigh* so much to think about. But I know our branch will continue, and I suspect that others will, too. This could be the start of something very exciting for the old "Scottish Region", but it's the way it was done that's upset so many. A branch online meeting tomorrow... :tizzy:
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Well a double celebration in order today. :dance:

Firstly the bungalow we are buying here has finally been started. :whoop: All held up by Snowy Weather, Frozen Ground and continual Rain.
The footings have now been dug, the base layer down and the brick supporting wall is constructed. Next the positioning of drainage etc before the concrete slab goes down next month. The wood frame is already on site. We should then be able to get on site ourselves to have a look see! :D

Secondly I've had an attack of the :ribbit: :anotherfrog: :ribbit: :anotherfrog: whilst stitching a William Morris Design. :tantrum:
I was given some good advice to 'Put it aside, Girl' by someone Who Knows. That done I have now managed to get a bit more done....and before you ask...there will be a photo coming when I've sorted how to get my camera to behave! :shifty: :camera:

So the House Elves are now busy...there's plenty of everyone's favourite here. There was a slight hiccup in the delivery of Marshmallows and Double cream for the Chocolate drinks, but that's now sorted! I've made gingerbread and there's a new batch of butter shortbread. Plenty of Savouries too.

So Help Yourselves! :balloons: :icecream: :choc: :wine: :tea: :coffee: :cake:
:mexicanwave:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I am more than happy to celebrate with you and am only horribly torn between fresh gingerbread (best I ever had in my life was from some awesome gingerbread bakery in the Lakes District by Beatrix Potter's home) and butter shortbread. Will eat both of course but want each one first!!! A perfectly wonderful way to celebrate a new house beginning!!! As well, of course, as getting through a stampede of :ribbit: :anotherfrog: and back to stitching like you want to.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I'm really enjoying the :tea: and shortbread. But better is the reason! You must be SO GLAD to know your house is rearing its head in the Borders. Are you able to go and see the site yet (we need a hard hat icon)? Even though we're all being so good and keeping to the rules, I should think it'd be almost impossible to resist!

Can I add to the celebrations? Seven small trees in pots are now going to what I hope is their forever garden. Some of them have been in pots for so long they were in danger of becoming bonsais... I imagine the moment their roots have room, they'll romp away. What a relief!
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

We asked yesterday if we could go see but he said not yet as too muddy and not much to see. He will send photos soon.
BTW I have my hard hat and high viz jacket at the ready. Hat had a Puffin Sticker on the front....what else! :wink: D/h has his hat too but no Puffin. :lol:
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

Looking forward to seeing more of your new house as it is built, Wendy :)

Have you brought all the stash necessary to personalise all the rooms... May be you need some more just in case you missed something :thinks:

Jo

P.S. Thank you for the piece of calorie free shortbread, it will go well with my :wine:
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I'm having lunch in the S&G today, I decided. Just finished 1.25 hrs of Embroiderers' Guild General Meeting Zoom. Whew. Not sure who frustrated me the most, the trustee in charge of the finances or the members who asked questions which either had already been answered during the presentations or had been previously comprehensively answered on the Guild website... Chicken salad with grapes, please.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Who are you going to throw the grapes at....or will you just crush Them! :wine: @rotfl:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Alcohol-free March this year. Just eat them grapes. :lol: I look forward to all the decisions being made, so that our branch can become an independent group, since that's what'll happen. I think that potentially offers a lot of interesting alternatives, so I'm really quite positive about it all now. :coffee:
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

A celebratory drinkie - just checked the final proof of the Stitch Magazine article. Apparently the mag goes to press tomorrow, which seems quite early for something that won't hit the shelves until the end of the month, but then I don't know anything about the technicalities of publishing :-)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Think airplanes lined up on the runway for take-off -- if you miss your printing slot, well, oh dear. 8) I'll make a reminder to myself to single purchase this issue. :P
Mabel Figworthy

Ah, that makes sense, thanks.
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Happy Easter. Help yourselves to almond cakes and chocolate eggs. I found the painted and embroidered eggs in a box in the back room, so they are now on display. :D
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I've also put some Easter Biscuits on the side. They are particularly scrummy! :D

:bunny: :bunny: :bunny: Did you see the new Family of Rabbits by the Tree House?
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

And some chocolate bunnies to go with the stash of Easter goodies.

I see there are lots of busy parent birds out collecting food for their new off spring in the garden. Lets hope the weather says nice for them.

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I have put a huge Easter Basket on the side table overflowing with what we used to call "penny candy". Every year, when the grandchildren were small, we'd have an Egg Hunt on the Saturday before Easter Sunday. (We would celebrate a lot of holidays the day before the official day with family so that we were one less place that the kids needed to visit on the Holiday. One advantage was that we saw the grandchildren when the activity was brand new for that year. Whether it was Christmas Gifts on Christmas Eve or Easter Egg hunts on Saturday) The candy in the baskets were different than what they were used to, mostly sugar in different forms, but so much fun. Enjoy.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Sounds delightful! And thoughtful, too, both for the children and the parents. Well, despite the sugar... but isn't that what all the chasing around is meant to forestall? Knowing that the weather was going to change (and it has), we had friends for afternoon coffee in the garden on Friday -- first time we've seen them, really, to speak to for more than a year -- and then yesterday, our neighbour came over for a cuppa in the afternoon, since we all needed a breather from gardening duties. Wonderful!
Mabel Figworthy wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:32 pm A celebratory drinkie - just checked the final proof of the Stitch Magazine article. Apparently the mag goes to press tomorrow, which seems quite early for something that won't hit the shelves until the end of the month, but then I don't know anything about the technicalities of publishing :-)
Well, I have bought a virtual copy. Our New Stitching Group (formerly known as a branch of the EG... should we have a strange symbol, like Prince?) has been given a suggestion by one of the committee members that your design be used as part of our Covid lockdown banner! I was very excited by the prospect, though I do wonder if we need permission... Anyway -- your rainbows made an impression, Mabel!
Mabel Figworthy

That's lovely to hear Serinde, and as you have bought a perfectly legitimate copy of the magazine I can't see why you shouldn't be able to embroider it on a banner! I would love to see a picture when it's finished, if that would be possible?
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I'm sure that can be accomplished if this particular part of the project goes ahead. So many balls in the air regarding the new group, but it will come together eventually. :wip:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

:wine: To Bruce’s leg!