what's the difference between.....

Post your wanted list here

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

sammy_v

what's the difference between.....

Post by sammy_v »

DMC cottons 6 Stranded skeins and DMC thread 6 strand 425 metres on a cone thats 100% cotton. This may seem like a really silly question cos to me they just seem the same but noing me they wont be lol. Just thought i could but the ones in a cone that i need most off. Thanks
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Price, I suspect. :wink: Usually, designs will specify how much floss you will need in a particular colour to complete the piece. So skeins will fit the bill. If, however, you are a designer or a packager, then it's obviously a lot cheaper to cut the exact lengths you will need for the design from a cone.
I do know that stitchers will sometimes buy popular colours that they regularly use on a cone because it is less expensive: 310, 312, 666, white and so on.
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

Thanks, ive seen some on ebay but theres only some of them. I just wondered if say 310 in a skein would be the same colour on a cone. Gosh i must sound dim lol.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Not dim at all these are very good questions.

I would think and this is only a guess but if the thread is made by the same company ie DMC, Anchor ect.. then the colors should be the same dye lots. These companies have the process down by now and I would think that the consistancy would be very close to the same colors.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
lacemaker2004

Dye Lots

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I understand that DMC has one of the best quality control systems so the dye lots are extremely consistent. I would agree that the cones are for folks that do commercial work. I would think that some of the basic colors like beige, white and black would be safe and useful to have in bulk.
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

Thanks very much, thats what i was thinking just get like black white and baige, maybe some others but i dont no yet. Thanks for ur help everyone, ur all so very helpful and i hope the questions are of some use to others to.