How to deal with multi-shaded areas

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

raelou

Post by raelou »

It's easy to put them in the gallery,If you have the 'paint' thats normally already on your computer,You can resize the pics on that.If you need any help just yell,Although I do use webshots and photobucket as they do have different qualities.
mags

Post by mags »

:doh: :doh: :doh:

Just read instructions for getting pics into gallery - I don't know why I thought it was difficult. :roll: Will have some pics up soon

mags :)
mags

Post by mags »

Apologies to MarieR - I seem to have taken over her thread :oops:

mags :)
MarieR

Post by MarieR »

LOL! No problem, Mags, specially if it means we get to see your WIP :lol: I'm amazed at all the wonderful advice everyone added since I checked yesterday. I'm going to save this lot to my computer.

Thanks again.

MarieR
Judith

Post by Judith »

Hi. I'm new to this forum but not new to cross stitch. I will try to work my piece from the top down (after working a narrow section to the top). I mark my work with a highlighter. I usually have several threads laying on my work at the same time. When I come to a point of not needing a thread for a while, I will mark the pattern and put a single line through the symbol with a pen to show that that thread is still on the piece. When I take that thread to a near-by area to work it again, I put a second line in the previous symbol, making an X. This tells me that that thread is no longer at that location. I do make a copy of my pattern but also enlarge it so that it is easier to see the symbols and to mark.
Alexanie

Post by Alexanie »

I'm stitching cross by cross in one coulour. I'm starting in the center of the pattern with the most prominent colour. When I've finished that piece of thread, I'm starting with another colour in this area.

Have fun with your stitching!
Ekidna

Post by Ekidna »

Judith wrote:Hi. I'm new to this forum but not new to cross stitch. I will try to work my piece from the top down (after working a narrow section to the top). I mark my work with a highlighter. I usually have several threads laying on my work at the same time. When I come to a point of not needing a thread for a while, I will mark the pattern and put a single line through the symbol with a pen to show that that thread is still on the piece. When I take that thread to a near-by area to work it again, I put a second line in the previous symbol, making an X. This tells me that that thread is no longer at that location. I do make a copy of my pattern but also enlarge it so that it is easier to see the symbols and to mark.
Hello Judith!! Welcome to the forum!!

I like your logical way of marking the pattern, that was a great piece of advice. :wink:

Facebook: Sarah-Kay Scholefield
Twitter: purplechidna

My WIP's
Home Sweet Home Cushion Sets
Flower Set - 2 to go
Olga Gostin Australian Houses Set - 4 to go
Rose

Post by Rose »

Hello Judith,

Welcome to our site, we are so glad that you found us. It is very interesting to hear how you stitch. We have so many different styles it is fun to hear from all. My thread gets in my way when I have more then one on the fabric at a time but you seem to have it all down to a science.

Hope you find us a good bunch to hang around with. Heres to see more of you soon. :lol:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
ivanputz

Post by ivanputz »

I usually pick the most prominent color and try and do all that color then fill in the next most prominent color. If I had read what the other posts said someone probably already said that though. :D
Dazbo666

Re: How to deal with multi-shaded areas

Post by Dazbo666 »

MarieR wrote:....blocks of color, leaving the required stitch or stitches blank in the middle until you have done a reasonable amount in one color, then change threads and fill in the blanks? In this case, a “block” might be anything from 1 to 10 stitches. I hope I am making sense! ...
Yes you're making perfect sense.
I'm no expert by any means, but I tend to do the blocks and blanks technique... and as long as I can concentrate on making sure that the blanks are to the right dimensions, I've never had any serious problems so far.

(For the record I'm doing Leopardess & Cub at the moment... which turns out to be a fair bit more complicated than I originally expected)