Help poor kitty with backstitches

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Viktoriya

Help poor kitty with backstitches

Post by Viktoriya »

Hi all. I read the messages from the forum and I see – many of us like cats. It is good news for me. I like cats too. :D I like to make picture of these cute fluffy things. But I have problem with one picture.

I create a pattern by myself. It is my first try to make cross-stitch pattern, and I made many mistakes. My poor kitty have colors which not much good enough, and very hard shadow – it is look much better if I make it half stitch and in one floss. It is same for the background. But I see all of this when finish the picture, and I can’t make changes. :cry: But I would like to make this picture better.

I make some back-stitches around head and it is looks not bad. But I stop on this step. I can’t make good contour around body. I try several times but all of them I didn’t like. Maybe somebody can help me with good contour around this poor kitty? :?:

Last edited by Viktoriya on Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rose

Post by Rose »

I think if it was me I would use the color that you have used for the face. I think it would really make the whole body pop right off of the material.

That is just my opinion. By the way that is an adorable picture he is really cute.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
mags

Post by mags »

Hi Viktoriya

This is beautiful.

I think this is lovely as it is with just the face outlined. If you look at it from a distance rather than close up.

However, just a suggestion if you are not happy with it - you could maybe try random back stitches imitating fur like they do round Tatty Teddy or Popcorn.

mags :)
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I would be tempted to take a backstitch line down between the front legs. Not in the dark colour, though, but a colour that blends into the greys so that the result isn't so stark.

Having said that, it's a truly wonderful design. Congratulations!
lacemaker2004

Backstitching

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I agree with the legs needing something to define them as they would be in the same plane as the face. I think I would also use some long stitches in his ear to help define it better. You now how kittens have those longer tufts in front.
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

i was going to say use the same backstitch method as for popcorn and tatty teddy for the fluffy fur and exactly what they said for the feet and legs!
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Very clever design. I would go across rather than around the stitches so that you don't get the "squared off" look to the kittens face, and use long random straight stitches is an off white for whiskers.
Hope this helps too!
Viktoriya

Post by Viktoriya »

I am very appreciating for all yours recommendations. It is very cool :D

<<I think if it was me I would use the color that you have used for the face. I think it would really make the whole body pop right off of the material. >>

Good idea Rose, but how do you think - I can use body's colors only for body, or it will be better to change black back stitches for head too? :?:

<<I think this is lovely as it is with just the face outlined. >> I think it is look like not finished.

<<You could maybe try random back stitches imitating fur like they do round Tatty Teddy or Popcorn. >>

Grate idea, mags and coffee_freak!!! I like it so much. I never try this way. But I think it is exactly what I need! :!: :!: :!:

<<I would be tempted to take a backstitch line down between the front legs. >> << legs needing something to define them >>

Thank you, Serinde. Thank you, lacemaker2004 – I’ll make it yours way. :wink:

<<I would go across rather than around the stitches so that you don't get the "squared off" look to the kittens face, and use long random straight stitches is an off white for whiskers.
>>

Thank you, wendywombat – a kitten without whiskers, not a right kitten. I like a white color for it! And I try to do something with <<"squared off" look to the kittens face>>, may be mags’s idea with <<random back stitches>> can help me. :)

Thank you so much everyone for good, useful idea! My poor kitten was in the back of cross stitch basket more then 5 years. I believe I’ll give him new life with your help. :lol:
Ekidna

Post by Ekidna »

I'm sorry Viktoriya, I got here too late, but I really don't have any better ideas than the ones you've got, they are fab! Can't wait to see the results. You really should be very proud of yourself though, this is a wonderful design!! Well done!

Facebook: Sarah-Kay Scholefield
Twitter: purplechidna

My WIP's
Home Sweet Home Cushion Sets
Flower Set - 2 to go
Olga Gostin Australian Houses Set - 4 to go
Collette

Post by Collette »

That is one very cute kitty :) Well done!
hada56

Post by hada56 »

your design is absoutely gorgeous, love it! The advie given to you from the others is pretty good. Let us know how you get one. Well done! :D
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Such a sweet design, Viktoriya - well done you. Hope it goes well and I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with it. :D
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

yeah! i hope our suggestions will help you and I'm looking foward to seeing it finished!
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

You have done a wonderful job on your kitty, I cant add anymore to the great ideas already put forward. I am sure it will be great.
Linda
Viktoriya

Post by Viktoriya »

Thank you one more time for all good word about my kitty. :D

Finally I start to work with my kitty. But I am start :? :oops: ….. changing background. And I would like to tear of this is stupid grin color.

And after this I will use all yours recommendations, and I believe it help me make picture wonderfully! :P :wink: :lol:
*Jess*

Post by *Jess* »

Thats an amazing cross stitch you've done so far, great work! :D Send a picture when its done? :P

Btw, this has been bugging me, but where's your avatar/display picture from? I recognise it..
"Few women admit their age. Few men act theirs."
Viktoriya

Post by Viktoriya »

Hi *Jess*
Btw, this has been bugging me, but where's your avatar/display picture from? I recognise it..
It is so funny. This picture - my char from on-line game Lineage2. I like it so much ( same like stitching :wink: ). Do you play in this game too?

I am close to finish my "Pure Kitty", and hope to send picture on forum in several days :lol:
Viktoriya

Post by Viktoriya »

Finally I finish my kitty! :D :P :lol:

You can see this picture in my "Cats and Kitten Gallery".

Big thankful all who help me with this picture.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Your kitty has turned out beautifully. Well done!
Ekidna

Post by Ekidna »

WELL DONE!!!

Looks great, I'm so pleased your kitty worked out for you so well!

Facebook: Sarah-Kay Scholefield
Twitter: purplechidna

My WIP's
Home Sweet Home Cushion Sets
Flower Set - 2 to go
Olga Gostin Australian Houses Set - 4 to go