Who knew?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

ivanputz

Who knew?

Post by ivanputz »

Although I've been stitching nearly 15 years, I have never worked with blending filament. Weird right? So I start this Tinkerbell piece for my daughter and it's mostly 1/2 stitches and back stitching with lots of blue blending filament. Being naive, I start with the blending filament and quickly find this stuff is crazy hard to work with and the stitching is SLOWWWWWWWWWWW. Nice little surprise and a new experience.

http://www.123stitch.com/cgi-perl/itemd ... em=07-2684" target="_blank
Corey.G

Re: Who knew?

Post by Corey.G »

That's a cute design. The eyes look kind of zombie-ish.

What's blending filament like? Does it act like dmc metallics? And kudos to you for being brave and trying something new.
lucyanna118

Post by lucyanna118 »

oooohhh, forget that! It will look graet when it's done though, are you doing a stitch along?

WIP's for 2012
Edward Cullen picture stitch (Done with love in every stitch-lol)
The Spirit of the Wolf
Planned
Biscornu
ivanputz

Post by ivanputz »

Don't know if it the metallic thread. I've never worked with any special threads before, nothing besides normal DMC thread. This stuff is really thin and it feels like it's going to to break with each stitch. It's got a little shine to it, like a piece of regular thread with glitter on it, and looks super cool.

No idea what a stitch-a-long is.
Corey.G

Post by Corey.G »

That's cool. I have yet to try blending filament. And a stitch-a-long is in the general index of the forums. You start a new topic and put progress pictures up for everyone to "Oooh" and "aaaaawww" at.

Possible overexcitement can occur from positive feedback and get you wanting to stitch for hours on end. See a doctor if your stitching sessions are more than 12 hours. Think before you stitch and use stitch-a-longs with caution.

:)
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Like the sketchy style, and the blending filament will be worth it!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
lucyanna118

Post by lucyanna118 »

lol at Corey, yes, what you are saying is true, however it does egg you on and makes you feel good about your work. I'm really rubbish at taking photos and putting them on the computer at regular intervals, for instance I have a 2 year old Son there were pictures of everything he's ever done yet I hardly have a quarter of the same pics of my 5 month old daughter, shame on me-my new years resolution will be to take more pictures and set a day of the week to load them on.

Sorry for going on-I don't get out much! lol! :(

WIP's for 2012
Edward Cullen picture stitch (Done with love in every stitch-lol)
The Spirit of the Wolf
Planned
Biscornu
Rose

Post by Rose »

I personally love to work with the blending filament. It gives the picture a nice shimmer. You have to use shorter lengths and also if it tugs you can run it through some Thread Heaven, that helps.

Really like the pattern you picked it is going to look great.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
thatrabbitgirl

Post by thatrabbitgirl »

And a stitch-a-long is in the general index of the forums. You start a new topic and put progress pictures up for everyone to "Oooh" and "aaaaawww" at.

Possible overexcitement can occur from positive feedback and get you wanting to stitch for hours on end. See a doctor if your stitching sessions are more than 12 hours. Think before you stitch and use stitch-a-longs with caution.
@rotfl: OMG, I'm dying of laughter over here. @rotfl:

I have been afraid to join the SAL for this very reason, I think. Reading this forum and seeing everyone's projects has already increased my cross-stitch addiction x1000.
--Alice :bunny:

WIPs
1. Santa and Snowman Ornaments (Dimensions Kit)
2. Anhinga Blues (RK Portfolio)
3. William Morris Rabbits (Artecy)

2011 Finishes
1. Easter scissors fob
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

As Rose said, Thread heaven is brilliant with blending filament. It coats it so that there is less static and it doesnt' fray as much.I did a big butterfly and 80% of it was done with blending filament. :shock:
Linda
talenaya

Post by talenaya »

I have one like that but she's standing up. Good warning about the blending filament.
mauveme wrote:As Rose said, Thread heaven is brilliant with blending filament. It coats it so that there is less static and it doesnt' fray as much.I did a big butterfly and 80% of it was done with blending filament. :shock:
Is it the same as beeswax for sewing? Never used it but I do use the beeswax to keep my threads from being a pain.
:kitty:Victoria :kitty:

:wip:
HEAD: Nala
kimblebee

Post by kimblebee »

Blending filiment is evil. I am avoiding my Noah's Ark piece because I know I will have to use it.
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

Blending fillament absolutely worth the trouble.

And to answer the question of how it compares to metallics - it's a little harder to use in my opinion but easier to make it look great ... it isn't as stiff as metallics so it doesn't stick up at odd angles so much.
Myst..
DraconicWench

Post by DraconicWench »

*covers her ears, humming and looks for Thread Heaven before she starts her Mystic Dragon*
Lynn
She who waits, also serves.

WIPs
Jungle Safari BA for baby J

2012 HDs
Anatomically correct heart
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

talenaya wrote:Is it the same as beeswax for sewing? Never used it but I do use the beeswax to keep my threads from being a pain.
Thread Heaven is very similar to beeswax. Has the same effect.
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~

WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
ali-cat

Post by ali-cat »

I really love the design you're doing!! Have you jumped in the deep end and started up any stitch-a-long posts, yet??!! :D I'm away to have a look-see!! :D :D
:kitty: Many years ago cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

WIP
Joan Elliott's Woodland Goddess