Question for Quilters

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Slinky

Question for Quilters

Post by Slinky »

Hi folks

I have always wanted to learn how to quilt so next year I might try to learn.

Bearing in mind the only stitching experience/skill I have is cross stitch-related, can you recommend any quilting books for absolute beginners like myself? I looked on Amazon and was bewildered by choice, so any pointers would be helpful. I would like to read around the subject to work out what is involved and what equipment I might need.

On that subject, I'm guessing a sewing machine is essential. Are there any features that you would consider indispensable for quilting that I should look out for?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Slinky
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~

WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
Squirrel

Re: Question for Quilters

Post by Squirrel »

Hi Slinky, Mmmm its hard to know how to advise you on any of your questions.

I am not aware of any books which actually teach quilting for a complete beginner. There are books of lots of different blocks and one i have is Around the Block by Judy Hopkins. I think finding a quilting group and joining in wouldbe a huge help, if you have a quilt shop handy.

Sewing machine. Definitely make sure it can do quilting and has the proper 1/4 inch foot as well as a quilting foot and ask the sales person to show you how to use it.
As you are only starting quilting maybe cheap to the more basic models rather than spend huge amounts on the upmarket computerised ones - at least until you have tried the patchwork and quilting for a while and really fall in love with it.

Materials. A good sized cutting mat and rotary cutter and ruler are the basic requirements.

I am sure that there are others who can help you with ideas too.

Good luck with your new passion.

Sally
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

Thank you Sally. I agree that joining a group and being shown what to do is the way forward, and I am already researching local groups for courses next year. I wanted to read a book or two in the meantime to familiarise myself with the terms and materials I'll be using. I'll take a look at the one you mentioned.

Your thoughts on the sewing machine are also very helpful indeed, thank you. I also thought a cheaper model to begin with would be good, but I am grateful for your comments.
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~

WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

You are welcome Slinky and I hope you find a quilting group to go to. Always ask at a quilt shop if they have any groups or know of any - that how I got started in a new country.

Quilting magazines are helpful too with lots of hints and so on and probably less expensive than books. Your local charity shop may have some quilting supplies/books/mags too

Sally

WIPS
wildrosecottage

Post by wildrosecottage »

Hi,
A quilting foot for the sewing machine is an excellent option for getting through those layers, i would recommend (as a quilter and owner of the below books) are those below, all are equally good in teaching the basics but making gorgeous quilts that look as though you have been quilting for years, The easiest way is to do basic patchworked squares and then applique or embroider onto the squares for a modern quilt look, x

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Patchwork-Comfo ... C8TK3JOK8P" target="_blank

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Layer-Cake-Jell ... 65&sr=1-13" target="_blank

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Encyclopedia-Qu ... 086&sr=1-3" target="_blank

and finally http://www.amazon.co.uk/Compendium-Quil ... 26&sr=1-38" target="_blank
redsew

Post by redsew »

I am still a beginner but have made my first quilt. If you put beginner quilting in your google search engine it will have all kinds of websites and videos to teach you how.
katstitcher

Post by katstitcher »

Good luck in your new hobby! I went to my local quilting shop and went for a quick course on the basics. Most of the equipment you'll need has already been suggested - definately a self healing cutting mat and a decent rotary cutter and ruler. I usually use moon thread for my quilt and a quilting foot on my sewing machine I have made over 45 quilts now!
The book I purchased when I first started out is Quilting for Beginners by Lynn G.Kough which I purchased off Ebay. :D
Kat

www.lovequiltsuk.com

wip

PollyAnna Pickering Barn owl 'oh little town'
Label - for LovequiltsUK
Veawen

Post by Veawen »

I am too wanting to learn how to make a quilt, but is it also possible without a sewing machine?

Many thanks :D
Things I love:
- Robert Pattinson *giggles*
- Meeting up my girlies at premieres
- Cross-stitching
- Reading: Black Dagger Brotherhood, TMI, ID, Twilight, The hunger Games etc.
- Chatting
- Trying to learn other crafts
- My BF
- My cats
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Yes you can hand stitch the fabric for the top layer and then hand quilt it. It just takes longer. I machine stitch the top layer then hand quilt.

Sally

WIPS
Veawen

Post by Veawen »

Thank you Sally! I will give it a go with hand stitching, but it can take quite a while :)
Things I love:
- Robert Pattinson *giggles*
- Meeting up my girlies at premieres
- Cross-stitching
- Reading: Black Dagger Brotherhood, TMI, ID, Twilight, The hunger Games etc.
- Chatting
- Trying to learn other crafts
- My BF
- My cats
Smiley

Post by Smiley »

Hi everyone! Im not a quilter, but my mom and a friend from church started a project last year to teach women from the local squatter comunity how to make creative things, of which one was quilting.. I sometimes helped. We collected and provided them with all the material and scraps from charity collections. These ladies hand-stitched their quilts, and they are beautiful. I will try to post pics soon. Unfortunately, we've moved since. I just want to say you don't need much. Sewing machine will make it much faster! But it is not a neccessity, nor is the other stuff. As long as you have a ruler, decent scissors, needle and thread, scraps of material and an imagination, your good to go
:D smiley :D

WIP:
Still :shock:

snoopy birth present
knitting: witty knits, santa

2010 Finishes:
UFO: popcorn holding blankie
I love my pony, Linda Gillum
Cute Kitten, Adam Pescott
Mouse in race car, Lucie Heaton
Hi mom (golden retrievers), Linda Gillum