Thread Heaven

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

matilda314

Thread Heaven

Post by matilda314 »

Hi everyone,
Just curious. I've used Thread Heaven on my DMC floss for a couple of years now. Lately I've gotten "brave" :oops: hehe, and started experiments with different hand-dyed cottons and silks to make small holiday ornaments. Are there any fibers that I can't/shouldn't use Thread Heaven with. I haven't used it on these new ones at all because I wasn't sure how it would affect the fibers.
Thanks,
Melissa
Mystonique

Re: Thread Heaven

Post by Mystonique »

I can't help you because I haven't tried Thread Heaven yet. I was wondering how it compares to good old beeswax which I do use for my metallics and fillaments?

Beeswax is generally safe with most threads . . . although it can alter the appearance of the thread slightly.
Myst..
Rose

Post by Rose »

I can't help you ase i only use DMC and metallic threads. I don't know how it would affect hand-dyed threads you could go to the Thread Heaven site and ask. Theya are pretty good and answering questions.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
mig-3

Post by mig-3 »

I use it on nearly all hand-dyed flosses. I've found several of the dyes and processing leave the thread very dry and prone to tangling or knotting. The TH works a charm with no adverse effects so far. I've only needed to use it on silk mori, but it worked just as well as on cotton floss.
Jarvis
Listessa

Post by Listessa »

So far it's worked pretty well on most anything for me.

From what I've read about it, and can tell from testing it on stuff around the house, Thread Heaven is less likely to leave a mark or discolor something than beeswax.

The only thing I really still defer to beeswax on is fur sewing. It doesn't seem to do anything to fur or hides, but I'd rather be safe and traditional than sorry with stuff like that. Supposedly it is safe for that use too.
matilda314

Post by matilda314 »

I had emailed them directly, and received a reply back today. I've attached it below for anyone else who was curious as to their answer.
Melissa

"Hi Melissa,
Thread Heaven is perfectly safe for use on Cotton, silk, or any other fiber, but the effect on dyes used in hand-dying are much harder to predict. Usually the dyes themselves are the same kind of chemical structure as so called machine dyed fibers. The difference is in the processes. Commonly hand-dyed fibers are kept agitated in the dye vats and removed sooner, so as to produce a more variegated, inconsistant dye pattern. With these types of dye applications, the effects of Thread Heaven is exactly the same as with machine dyed fibers. The only potential problems come from hand-made and hand applied dyes, many for which are very beautiful, but unstable organics like mulberry and beet juice, or tea. The only way to know what will happen is to coat a fiber with TH and wait 48 hours. Any reaction between the chemical compound and organic dye will be noticeable almost immediately, but give it the 48 hrs just to be safe. The only change that may occur will be to the color, not to the fiber itself, and if that should happen, you may want to seriously consider using these fiber on anything that you want to maintain a constant color over time: if the dye is effected by TH, it will surely react adversely to UV rays, moisture, etc."
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

What a very helpful reply!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
maggs