Scissors

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Jilly

Scissors

Post by Jilly »

I need new Scissors and wondered if you can help.
I have had many types over the years,the latest are actually manicure scissors,very fine,very sharp and have a curved tip, I have never seen a pair like them since.
My quandry is which type to go for next,I had a pair of the fancy stork ones years ago,but there are now many for sale and I know some are not as good quality as my first pair. My local shop sells them, but they are too long,and just don't feel the same as my old storks.
I have also seen some very short scissors 2 1/2 inces long,they seem good quality but are they too fiddly to work with.
I hope you have suggestions and tips for me.
Jill
Ekidna

Post by Ekidna »

I'm afraid I use a pair of manicure scissors too!!

Facebook: Sarah-Kay Scholefield
Twitter: purplechidna

My WIP's
Home Sweet Home Cushion Sets
Flower Set - 2 to go
Olga Gostin Australian Houses Set - 4 to go
mags

Post by mags »

I am the proud owner of a new pair of embroidery scissors which I won in a competition in cross stitcher magazine. Lovely, but I must admit I am very wary of damaging the very sharp points.

http://www.johnsoncrafts.co.uk/exec/c/p ... /HSSH1123G

I too have a pair of curved manicure scissors like you describe which I keep for decoupage - I got them from Boots the chemist a few years ago. Had not thought of using them as embroidery scissors, but yes they would be ideal.

I had a hankering for a pair of stork scissors until I won my new pair, but to be honest I find any sharp scissors do for snipping floss, as long as I keep a very good pair for cutting fabric.

I guess that the sharp points will be useful though if I ever have to do any unpicking. :roll:

mags :)
Viktoriya

Post by Viktoriya »

Hm... me too ... use a pair of manicure scissors. :wink:
Sylvie

Post by Sylvie »

Look at those! :)
https://www.stitchingbitsandbobs.com/cg ... nsScissors
Mine are the Hillier ones, just love them! They seem to be black but they are not...
Rose

Post by Rose »

I use the small Fisker scissors. They work well for me and seem to be pretty nice quality. I also have a fisker sharpener, as the rest of the family likes to use MY scissors for everything. I have 4 pair all over the house. Not terribly sharp on the end but if I have to frog I use a needle or my seam ripper.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I have a pair of stork scissors,I have to be careful where I leave them because of the kids, as you pointed out they are sharp! I can't remember where I got them but it was online!Before I had just normal sharp scissors but everyone kept using them ,that's why I like my stork ones everyone knows not to touch!! :twisted:
Big Hugs
ConnieO

Post by ConnieO »

I had a pair of Fiskars embroider scissors, but the points got bent and I gave them away.

I have a pair of German made scissors, they say Solingen - W. Germany. I inherited them from my ex's mother, just goes to show how old they are! :shock: But they are lovely and sharp and very durable.

I used to have a wonderful pair of Fiskars fabric shears that I paid quite a lot of money for. I found my ex cutting bacon with them. :shock: :shock: :shock: I wonder if that is why he is my ex?!? :twisted: :twisted:
A stitch in time is my idea of a perfect day!
Connie :-)
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Thank you all for replying,I must admit I thought I may be alone with the manicure scissors.
The link is great Sylvie, I love the design of the Hillier ones,the tiny ones are very interesting too.
Thanks for the link Mags,I love the design of those ones too.
(spoilt for choice,but what a nice dilema)
I think scissor borrowing in the house is the quickest way to make a stitcher boil,they always seem amazed that we can tell.
mags

Post by mags »

ConnieO wrote: I found my ex cutting bacon with them.
:shock: :roll: :shock:

mags
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

cutting bacon???? was the man daft????

I'm glad to say that in addition to bringing wine into the midst of thread central, my husband has learned 'Back away from the scissors and no one gets hurt." :lol:
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

:lol: :lol:

I have three pairs: and ancient pair of storks (good for thread cutting); squeezers with front angled blades (for cutting metalics, saving my other pairs from disaster) and most wonderful of all, my Janome Xtra Touch scissors which give tremendous control. Useful for hardanger!! All available from our favourite http://stitchdirect.com/
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I have often looked at the Janome Xtra Touch, are they more useful for delicate work rather than general thread cutting?
I looked at some DMC scissors in a local shop today,not impressed at all,they were stiff to use and felt sticky. I am a fussy thing :oops:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Not fussy. Scissors are important. I actually use the total control scissors all the time, not just for hardanger. The blades are sharp all the way to the point, but relatively short, which isn't useful for fabric. No problem with threads or wools, though.
In a perfect world, there would be total control scissors with an angled blade for hardanger – then you could actually see what you're cutting... :shock:
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I finally found some in our local wool/stitching shop, they are made by Klasse,double curve,3 1/2 inches,nice big finger holes,and very sharp :D
Thanks to all of you for your help :)
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Serinde,
I just bought something called a cricket from Van Sciver Bobbin Lace with the intent to use on my hardanger and my lace work. They are tiny, with small thin angled point. I haven't tried them yet but think they will make the snipping easier.
Alyson
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Great! Let me know how you find them.

I seem to be developing a scissor collection! :shock:
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I am not so happy with my new scissors :oops: the shape feels wrong when I use them,I will have a chat to the owner of the shop to see if I can exchange them for the stork ones,it is very hard to know if scissors are right without trying them.
hada56

Post by hada56 »

I use what I had on hand, but now I have a small pair, which are so much nicer, they don't weigh anything! and fit into the case where I keep my stitching project.