aida patterns on linen?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

kbpeake

aida patterns on linen?

Post by kbpeake »

Hi everyone,
I am Kat and have been corss stitching for about 10 years on and off. The last couple of years I have really gotten into it. :D This past year I learned to stitch on linen and LOVE it! I have trouble finding a pattern that I like that is for linen. My question is can I take a pattern that is for Aida and work it on linen? Has any one else tried this?

Kat
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

The short answer is Yes! All you have to remember is to stitch over two linen threads to mimic stitching over one Aida "block". (Unless you want a miniature, of course, in which case you stitch over one thread and go blind at the same time. Cost effective, I guess. 8) )
The world is your design oyster!

PS: I like Virginia, despite all that red earth. Have relations in Waynesboro (over the mountain from Charlottesville) and Richmond.
ivanputz

Post by ivanputz »

Hi Kat!! I have been stitching all my cross stitch patterns on linen. It makes the piece look nicer. Any pattern that calls for 14 count Aida, I usually do on 28 count linen with no stitching problems. I actually have more problems with the picture framers who have a hard time getting the piece stretched straight.
Rose

Post by Rose »

The girls have already given you your answer I will just expand it a bit. You can take any graph based pattern, ie...filet crochet, waste canvas, plastic canvas and use it on your linen. The only real difference of course will be the finished size. There are conversion charts to help you figure out the difference in Aida to linen and I believe we have a few links in the thread named "Internet Sites"

Great to see you on the site and I hope you will come back often to join in the rest of the fun we have here on the site. Welcome and if we can help with anything else please ask.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
kbpeake

Post by kbpeake »

Thanks everyone!! WOW! I am so excited now! I love stitching on linen and I hate aida. I kinda thought I would be able to, and figured there would be some size differance. But that isn't a big deal. Just wanted to make sure before I tried it.
:dance: (happy dance)

(((Hugs to all)))
Kat
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Just be sure to show us the results in your gallery. :D
mags

Post by mags »

Hi Kat and welcome

I can't offer any advice re linen as I have not tried it but everything I have seen done on it looks wonderful. 8)

Happy stitching :)
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs