Magazine Subscription

Post your wanted list here

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Ernie2jess

Magazine Subscription

Post by Ernie2jess »

I have a special request. My husband wants to know what I want for Christmas and to tell you the truth I've always wanted a subscription to a cross stitching magazine, but I don't know which one. Can someone give me a list of which ones are out there, or your suggestions? I live in the US, so maybe a US based magazine unless there is a UK one that is not so expensive to ship, etc. By the way, not too long ago, someone ( I think Kitsune) asked almost the same question, but all I could see was UK magazines. :?:
mags

Post by mags »

I don't know anything about US based magazines and I don't subscribe to any UK ones. However I do buy Cross Stitcher regularly, and occasionally buy World of Cross Stitching (which I usually find disappointing) and New Stitches. Unfortunately I don't very often go to larger newsagents, so my choice is limited. I think they vary from say Cross Stitch Quick to Cross Stitch Gold and I think the titles give away the quality although I can't really comment.

There is of course also the on-line Gift of Stitching.

Hope someone else can provide more guidance
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I still think New Stitches is the best, but from the standpoint of the US, it would be prohibitively expensive, I suspect.

However, I've heard good things about The Gift of Stitching, which is an online magazine, so no p&p, etc. Have a look at the sample issue here: www.thegiftofstitching.com/sample.php
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Serinde, I have looked at the link you gave for The Gift of Stitching, it looks really interesting.
Rose

Post by Rose »

I really enjoyed the Stoney Creek Mag until they gave me the run around about my subscription and when it had been paid and so on we are in the process of getting that worked out. There should be a link in the internet sites thread to show you what they have had in past issues. You only get 6 per year.

I don't subscribe to any others as I have so many patterns right now. I have in the past subscribed to-Just Cross Stitch- it was pretty good and then for awhile I had BHG Cross Stitch & Needlework.

Here are links to those two
http://www.wyndhamneedleworks.com/Magaz ... gazine.htm

http://www.c-sn.com/
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I subscribe to the Gift of stitching and I must say if you like christmas ornie get the subscription before the end of december as there are a lot of them in this issue,but you get the mag by downloading it and printing it yourself and it's cheaper than shop bought ones,The owners are based in Australia I think!
Big Hugs
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Try going over to your local Barnes and Nobel and checking them out. They have several different ones and you can see which is at the level you like to stitch. I don't subscribe but do occassionally pick one up if it interests me. I have most lately bought one they carry that I think is based out of the UK and I think is called Cross Stitch and Beading. It is expensive but the patterns are wonderful....as a matter of fact, in pulling a copy to find the title, I just noticed two patterns that I really want to do!.......ahhhhh....more projects!!!!
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

:lol: :lol:
Ernie2jess

Post by Ernie2jess »

Thanks everyone for all your help. Lacemaker...that's a great idea, I had no idea that Barnes and Nobles carried them. I think I'll be there tonight. :wink:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I've also just come across Cross-Stitch & Needlework, a US bi-annual publication. If the Christmas edition is anything to go by, it is also worth a look: www.c-sn.com
Alexanie

Post by Alexanie »

I've got a gift subscription to Cross Stitcher, but had a lot of trouble with issues not arriving with me this year. Hope they've solved the problem by now. Don't know any U.S. magazines.
Angel

Post by Angel »

I buy cross stitcher. It's really good.
henrietta

Post by henrietta »

The only magazine I am subscribed to is the Gift of Stitching. Unbeatable in terms if value for money. We get an e-mail telling us when the new issue is ready then login & download it, then we can read it on screen & print anything that we want to sew. I back mine up on a CD so I can look at them anytime I want. Saves having piles of magazines around gathering dust.
I can't find English magazines here. It's all in French & the last one I saw was something my neighbour had bought & I thought I wouldn't waste my money on it (don't remember the name). They had lots off patterns with the annoying habit of not even following the grid so horrendous to stitch. But then my neighbour doesn't know any better & can't get her top stitches going in the same direction so there was no point opening that can of worms !
Tam.
(PS: I am rather biased though seeing as 2 of my designs have been in TGOSM - :D ).
Ernie2jess

Post by Ernie2jess »

Thanks for that..I'll look into it!!! :D