Really dumb question...but I need help! :)

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

TxFroggy

Really dumb question...but I need help! :)

Post by TxFroggy »

When you work on a large piece, do you work on a color at a time, a section, a row, or... I'm finding that threading my needle every two seconds is not fun.

Can you give me some guidance?

Thank you!
Kim
mags

Post by mags »

I would say do whatever you find easiest/best for yourself and the pattern you are working on.

Some people have lots of different needles threaded at the ready :shock:

I do what ever seems appropriate, usually one colour for a while and catch up with other colours around, trying not to carry across the back for more than 3 or 4. Also I work in rows and sections, see my cat picture in my gallery for a better idea.

I can't be doing with keep threading up or have more than one needle on the go.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

The more complicated the pattern, the more you need a set of needles threaded for the section you are working on. Otherwise, it can be very frustrating. Rather than sticking your needles into the fabric and hoping you remember what colour number they are... ( :shock: ), ask someone to buy you a needle organiser for Christmas! :!:
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I know I could not work in set rows, the old brain cells would get very lost with so many changes, I work logical colour areas without crossing very far over the back.
As Mags says, look at wip's on the forum and see which works for you, have fun :D
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I'm like Mags but I also bought a needle organizer off ebay a few months ago. I havenn't used it since I've been concentrating on a some lace class pieces and a stitching class....hopefully over Christmas I'll get a chase to try it out though I have to believe it will be easier than rethreading every few minutes! :wink:
TxFroggy

Thank you!

Post by TxFroggy »

I want to thank you for responding. I'm really enjoying looking at all of your work. I'll put a gallery up of the piece I'm working on!

:D
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

TxFroggy, you will soon discover that the difficulty is getting us all to BE QUIET. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
TxFroggy

LOL

Post by TxFroggy »

Please don't be quiet, I need all the help that I can get. (in more ways that cross stitching, lol)
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I think it's fair to say we (collectively) offer a discreet counselling service, forum-wide. :shock: In truth, a supportive bunch here, and there's even the Dude, should you need a large shoulder to cry on!
hada56

Post by hada56 »

I just rethread my needle with the colour I need to stitch, but if it's a larger project, then I may have some needles threaded with other colours to save time. I write the floss number on a small piece of paper and the just stick there, so I'll know what colour and number it is.
Dazbo666

Post by Dazbo666 »

Wherever possible I tend to do the larger blocks of colour first, then fill in the smaller areas later...
although I've been considering getting one of those (Pako?) needle organisers for a large project that I'm doing at the moment.

I'll also be tring to get some project pics posted into a gallery at some point too
Angel

Post by Angel »

I work by colour. Especially with projects like my chinchilla and lickle teds. I'd be changing threads every two seconds. I started out working lines and I got so fustrated I almost abandoned the project.
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

I go by colour to, i started out like angel did by doing it line by line but got so fed up of changing and decided to just stich with one colour and do it that way.
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

what are lickle teds?
Angel

Post by Angel »

lickle ted is a teddy bear. He has his own series of designs. There's one in my gallery.
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Oh he's cute. but why is he evil?
Angel

Post by Angel »

hehe because of the ammount of near identical colours. And they don't go in blocks either, they're scattered all over the place (so I was changing thread every two seconds when working by rows) A great first project. He was so hard to do.
PaulaH

Post by PaulaH »

I go by colour - I have used the Pako organisers before when I did Mum's sepia photochart - that was a nightmare, the colours were so similar :x

Paula xx
nettie

Re: Really dumb question...but I need help! :)

Post by nettie »

I work in areas changing the colour on my needle all the time. I never really thought how frustrating that is until I read this. I'm not really sure if this is the best way or not it is the just the way I have always worked. Given me some :choc: for thought!